+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do you like house #1 or house #2 better?

Post Likes

Do you like house #1 or house #2 better?

I hope it's OK to post this in this section of the forum. Anyway, back in 1971 there was some discussion about which way to go on this custom built house that is my parent's house in Cincinnati, Ohio. I think house #1 was decided on because it would save money.

I went on an adobe photoshop forum where they will do edits for you for free (if you're nice), and a fellow in England did this edit. It isn't perfect, but it is good enough to see the difference. I think house #2 looks better and it looks more expensive. I'm talking about the area above the garage. It is white aluminum siding.

No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another. -- Charles Dickens

Post Likes
    I'm with you on this one exreo, I think house #2 looks nicer.

Post Likes
    To much brick for my taste. Cedar shake siding would be my choice.

Post Likes
    My father was a bricklayer and I tended for him I know how much more the brick cost.

Post Likes
    I cant decide which one looks the most like fake brick.
    Never argue with a crazy man.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Galt View Post
    My father was a bricklayer and I tended for him I know how much more the brick cost.
    You know my dad always said (back in 1971/72) that the brick was the most expensive part of the house. He thought $4,000 was just outrageous for all the brick work. A friend of his laid the brick. I think in 1971 the total coast of the house was about $30,000. But he acted as the general contractor, and this was right before home prices exploded. Also dad said there would have to be a piece of angle iron setup across the top of the garage, and the brick and the angle iron would cost more.

Thank you for your comment.
    No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another. -- Charles Dickens

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sweat hog View Post
    I cant decide which one looks the most like fake brick.
    Thanks for your comment. You think the brick in the picture below looks fake? I'll tell you one thing for sure that isn't fake, and that is that fedders unit to the left which has been in service since June/1972 and has never failed except the blower motor replaced about 20 years ago.

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=exreo;24975541]Thanks for your comment. You think the brick in the picture below looks fake? I'll tell you one thing for sure that isn't fake, and that is that fedders unit to the left which has been in service since June/1972 and has never failed except the blower motor replaced about 20 years ago.

Is there a good story behind the whiskey dents?

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=joeysmith;24975721]
    Quote Originally Posted by exreo View Post
    Thanks for your comment. You think the brick in the picture below looks fake? I'll tell you one thing for sure that isn't fake, and that is that fedders unit to the left which has been in service since June/1972 and has never failed except the blower motor replaced about 20 years ago.

Is there a good story behind the whiskey dents?
    Haha. Living in Ft. Worth, I don't know everything that goes on up there, but I was told a tree broke over in a bad storm and fell on the unit.

Post Likes
    Talked with my dad today. He said it got hot up there today, and he fired up the AC unit for the first time this year. So this is the start of year 46 without any major failure except the blower motor. In a couple of months they are thinking of replacing the fedders unit even though it has never really had a major failure. It still has the original charge of Freon.

Post Likes
    I would agree that it is to much brick. Ceder shake would look great over the garage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in