Post Likes

HVACR licensing. Apprentice,Journeyman , Master

Hello
    Can anyone brief me on why on why our trade does nor mirror Electricians and Plumbers when it comes to licensing?

What is the history?

I cant find a straight answer anywhere. Each state has its own rules, but it seems the path of education and license for our friends in Electrical and plumbing is much more "standard". In Michigan I would guess only 5% of techs have licenses? Any stats out there?

I hope in my lifetime all HVACR technicians need to be licensed.

Thoughts?

Post Likes
    Well, I am not a huge fan of governmental regulation but I agree with educational standards and apprenticeship. I would like to see it be handled within the industry. I am licensed through the state but that doesn't make me good at what I do, it means I passed a test 15 years ago. If a person wants to be good at what they do, they invest the time in training and research.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Here in the lovely state of Iowa. Mechanical, Plumbing, HVACR, Electrical have requirements just as you wished for. It is on a state level and there is good and bad with this. We've been on state licenses for about 8 - 9 years. Before that the major cities had there own licenses.

The state took over licensing because they wanted the revenue stream. The good thing about this is I can go anywhere within the state and work. Before that I had 4 master licenses to work in 4 different cities. If you worked out in the county you had to go through the county. Meaning different proof of insurance and bond forms for everyone. I will say the state license has made that easier "One" form for anywhere.

Before State Licensing there were many counties that had no licensing requirements for any craft so if you stayed out of the cities all you had to do was put out a listing and you could be a HVAC guy, Plumber, Mechanical or Electrician. When you went into houses you could tell if a license & permit was needed or not just by the quality of the work

Post Likes
    Here in the lovely state of Connecticut Licensed Plumbers and Electricans are required to attend a mandatory class every other year for a refresher course on codes for their profession that they/Company have to pay for.

We have many types of licenses in the HVAC profession, from Limited Sheetmetal journperson to Limited Sheetmetal Contractors. Oil burner license, Unlimited and Limited journeyman HVAC/R license. Limited and Unlimited Contractors License. A Tech. can not do any type of service work/troubleshooting solo without a license. It has been that way ( Licensing ) for many many decades.

I think Licensing is a good thing, as a more ambitious Tech. who holds several types of license over a Tech. that may have one basic license can make more money for him/herself and the company as there is less restrictions on what type of equiptment that person can work on, reason for limited vs unlimited license. You want to make more money? Get a better less restrictive license(s)

Post Likes
    I like the system we have here in Texas. You have to prove several years in the trade and then the state allows you to sit for the exam. For me the state mandating licenses makes it a fair playing field with all of us required to have insurance.

The cost of the license and exam is very fair IMHO. It helps pay for the state to go after illegal unlicensed fly by night companies.

I disagree with the idea of the "industry" handling license because it will come down to the almighty dollar.

6. Likes reset2 liked this post
    Post Likes
    That's a good point foxtrot.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by foxtrot View Post
    I like the system we have here in Texas. You have to prove several years in the trade and then the state allows you to sit for the exam. For me the state mandating licenses makes it a fair playing field with all of us required to have insurance.

The cost of the license and exam is very fair IMHO. It helps pay for the state to go after illegal unlicensed fly by night companies.

I disagree with the idea of the "industry" handling license because it will come down to the almighty dollar.
    There's almost no enforcement in TX. A TACLB********E contractor could be working on a 200 HP Rack System and nothing would be done about it.

Sent using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    We have no HVAC license here, but we do need to have a specialty electrician license to do HVAC\R electrical work. We have to pass a test on our ability to read the NEC, state regulations, and a few questions on HVAC related electrical questions. We need 36 hours of continuing education every three years.

Post Likes
    Thanks to all who responded.