Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Likes
    A prohibition on S Traps will not have any bearing on this job as what he has, and needs, is a P Trap. <g>

He just has it assembled incorrectly.

PHM
    ---------

Quote Originally Posted by rcstl View Post
    And to think we are making these assessments from four or five pictures over the internet, shuh. My take was correct. The tail is slanted, it is too long, the gasket was positioned upside down, S traps are not code in many places and there is NO plumber in the picture.

So there!
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    This whole thread is an example of trying to communicate over the web... PHM and I are saying the same thing except I say there is NO plumber in the picture. Fill that void to fix things....

If thinking was easy,
    everyone would do it!

Regarding Russian Roulette; five out of six players think it is a safe, enjoyable game!

"And I've been banned twice. What of it? If you aren't getting banned once every 3 years, you aren't trying." Brian8383

"it's actually 90 right now in this shaded area of satan's butthole." - HVAC_marc

“Don't believe signature quotes.” - George Washington

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    No.

PHM
    -------
    Yes, mine do, all of them. Where do you get your parts?? to make a seal, all you need is a fraction of an inch of pipe beyond the ferrule. the manufacturer allowed for more than that.

Post Likes
    Glue the damn thin up with PVC or ABS and be done with the leaks.... Those Box store plumbing traps are almost worthless...

Post Likes
    Need to move the sink to the left, flip the trap around, and swivel it to make everything square. BTW that Trap is probably damaged from the way it was installed, and will never seal.
    Retired, after 43 Years

Post Likes
    I get them at the plumbing supply house usually.

That swing joint he can't get to seal is not a gasketed joint. It is a union-type seal with two machined parts forced together by an external threaded ring. There is no insertion depth there at all.

PHM
    ---------

Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    Yes, mine do, all of them. Where do you get your parts?? to make a seal, all you need is a fraction of an inch of pipe beyond the ferrule. the manufacturer allowed for more than that.
    PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    There is no insertion depth there at all.
    Mine are different. I can put both the machined ends together, or one machined end and one bare end with a compression ferrule and make a seal.

I'lk see if I can dig one out for a picture. The OP's main problem is that it is so crooked he doesnt have enough sealing surface to make it work. Most gasketed joints will handle up to 10 degrees of offset before they leak.

Post Likes

On this quest I found 20$ in the parking lot. But then I fell out of the truck and gouged my hand and arm.

A grease trap and a washtub fell on top of me. Wtf.

(products courtesy of Wolverine Brass)

Sent via ESP...

Post Likes
    I thought, "yeah im gonna have to send PHM his half of this cash" then i fell on my arse and got buried with a 65 lb grease trap and the other sh1t. then it went to "F it!, he just paid for my bandages!"

Post Likes
    Sir,

It is my position that, in the second pic from the top - the non-U piece is attached incorrectly. With it's ends switched.

Here; I'll try to just include that one pic - wish me luck.

PHM
    -----------

PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    If someone can tell me how to post a picture in the message, I'll take a picture under my sink and post it.
    Retired, after 43 Years

Post Likes
    well, you can think what you want, but it's not a violation of the code in my area (IPC, and NYS). Plus, the fitting allows for usage in that manner.

Now, do I suggest that the fitting be used in this manner? NO. A deep trap is usually more of a problem than it solves. (there are certain situations that a deep trap resolves). Also, the swing part of the pipe reversed like this allows for a much shorter ell. Ive used it like that when there is not enough space or length required for a more standard installation.

the molded piece is basically nothing more than the separate ferrule "glued" in place. It will mate adequately to any other fitting designed for use with compression ferrules and nuts.

It's not that it's incorrect, it's just non-conventional.

The OP's install is wrong.

Post Likes
    Well; you know that now I just Have to try it. <g>

PHM
    --------

well, you can think what you want, but it's not a violation of the code in my area (IPC, and NYS). Plus, the fitting allows for usage in that manner.

Now, do I suggest that the fitting be used in this manner? NO. A deep trap is usually more of a problem than it solves. (there are certain situations that a deep trap resolves). Also, the swing part of the pipe reversed like this allows for a much shorter ell. Ive used it like that when there is not enough space or length required for a more standard installation.

the molded piece is basically nothing more than the separate ferrule "glued" in place. It will mate adequately to any other fitting designed for use with compression ferrules and nuts.

It's not that it's incorrect, it's just non-conventional.

The OP's install is wrong.
    PHM
    --------

14. Likes HVAC_Marc liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast