Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pitot tubes

Post Likes

Pitot tubes

If I was to order a pitot tube, as a service guy, what length should I get to cover most typical applications?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    The 20 and 36 inch will do most of what you will need. The 36 inch will do anything the 20 inch will do if you can physically use it in the space. For TAB work the 20 inch will do almost everything if you don't mind double drilling holes in ducts larger than 24 inch. Having two tubes is far better but you can get by with one.

3. Likes heatingman liked this post
    Post Likes
    I have both but mostly use the 24.

Post Likes
    @WAYNE3298 trying to send you a PM. It won't go thru. Could you check the TAB area and give me some wisdom on the Q fan question? MUCH appreciated!

Post Likes
    What type static pressure do you want to measure? Are you wanting to measure TESP or do you want to traverse a duct?
    Do you run resi or commercial?
    Give me a relay with big enough contacts, and I'll run the world!

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

If a person wants to create a machine that will be more likely to fail...Make it complicated.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    What type static pressure do you want to measure? Are you wanting to measure TESP or do you want to traverse a duct?
    Do you run resi or commercial?
    For traverse. I normally use hot wire anemometers, but I want a pitot to confirm accuracy and as a simple back up.

I do commercial

Post Likes
    You use that Fieldpiece sta2 if I remember correctly. I bought that partly on your recommendation and have really liked that tool. The I did have trouble once with some readings that I regarded as suspicious, and it turned out that some duct lining fibers had lodged onto the thermocouple.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by icy78 View Post
    You use that Fieldpiece sta2 if I remember correctly. I bought that partly on your recommendation and have really liked that tool. The I did have trouble once with some readings that I regarded as suspicious, and it turned out that some duct lining fibers had lodged onto the thermocouple.
    Yes, thats my hot wire. I like it, and think it works well. But its harder to do the point type traverse and be repeatable. I was talking to an old timer the other day and he said he would put tape on the pitot to mark the sample points for repeatable readings. So, now I want one. Actually just ordered a 24" pitot from Dwyer.

Before that I used the "poor-mans pitot" when I wanted to get a feel for what was happening.

1/4" copper tube with a 90 bent on it to point into the airflow attached to positive port and a static probe on the negative. But, I am starting to do alot more airflow work, so its time to get a legit pitot.

Post Likes
    Why do they cost so much. Or am i looking in the wrong places.

Post Likes
    Anyrhing TSI or Alnor is super expensive. Look up one by Dwyer, they're quite a bit cheaper.

But there a stainless precisely machines tool.

Post Likes
    The pitots are marked with ruler type markings etched into the stainless. I use a sharpy to mark the insertion points. Wipes off easily when finished with that traverse.

Post Likes
    Our Shortridge kit has a airfoil tub for velocity readings also. Can anyone tell me when this would be better over the pitot tube?

Post Likes
    You also probably got a velocity grid with the kit. I wouldn't use the vel-grid or airfoil unless there was no other choice. If you do be sure to read and follow the manual.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast