Thread: Thinking of getting a couple of electronic dampers to create zones, seeking ideas

Post Likes

Thinking of getting a couple of electronic dampers to create zones, seeking ideas

Hi,

I have a 2000 sq ft house in Phoenix. The house is conveniently divided right down the middle, with bedrooms on one side and rest of house on the other. I'd love to close the living side at night, and the bedroom side during the day. Here's a rough diagram I sketched just now:

All the bedrooms are fed by flexible ducts connected to the 16x12 rectangular duct to the left of the air handler, and the living room, dining area, entry, and kitchen are all connected to the 18x14 on the right side of the air handler. The guest bathroom is interestingly connected to a separate part of the duct, prior to where I would think some electronic dampers (proposed location marked with dotted lines) would go.

I would probably control the dampers separately, via a smart home controller.

Is this a reasonable plan? I am not looking for DIY advice, but rather some more high level thoughts on whether this is a good or bad idea, if I need to reduce the fan speed or somehow alleviate pressure, if I need to add return ductwork (it's only in the master bedroom and hallway, connected to living area, right now)

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate the input.

Post Likes
    Sounds like a routine install. Installing a good zoning system that incorporates sensors to cycle the unit off or stages off before it gets to hot/cold and also addressed excessive Air pressure in the system is key. You will get many opinions but my goto is arzel zoning
    I would call a couple contractors and get a free quote

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Your ductwork may not handle your plans without modifications. If you close down the bedrooms, where is the extra air going to go? Get a contractor that knows how to do zoning properly.
    Doug

Post Likes
    I'll call for quotes. Thanks!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in