Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Mini-Split Winter Heating

Good morning have a Mini-Split question for you. My church has a camp and has a year-round building. It has 10 PTEC's one for each sleeping room. They are all 21 years old.

They are 9000 cooling with 3.5Kw (12,000) electric heating coil. It is in the upper midwest we can stay well below "zero" for weeks in the winter.

They have several PTEC units that are getting pretty unreliable. They would like to move to mini-splits if it is feasable.

I typically do not do much with mini-splits and concerned there will not be enough heat available using an air cooled mini-split unit. So my question is: How well do these newer mini-split work with respect to heating in the winter below zero. There is no other heat available

Thanks for your replies

Post Likes
    none will work great at zero or below, but the mitsubishis are incredible even at single digit odt.

Post Likes
    Thank you, I know the correct term for these units are PTAC's but the one I have beenasked to replace are Trane PTEC's

Post Likes
    Install the Mini Splits. Much higher efficiency. Each area should have some type of back up heat anyway.

Post Likes
    If you splurge for the Carrier Performance Series over Comfort Ductless Units (Honestly only like $200-300 difference per system in our area) they are reliable down to -21 degrees for heating.

Post Likes
    Thank you. There is no water in the sleeping rooms so nothing to freeze. Typically the heat is left off in sleeping rooms until occupied. I have seen the temperatures in these rooms drop to where you can see your breath (so 40"s). The floor below the sleeping rooms and the adjacent shower rooms are heated via 3 LP gas furnaces plus one LP gas fireplace. So there is other heat in the building but not directly connected to the sleeping rooms.

They lost power one winter and had some freeze damage. Since that time a Cat Motor/Generator set has been added to prevent that problem again. What I did not want to have happen is to install a mini-split heat pump and in the winter could not keep the sleeping rooms above 50F or 60F. They have been given a Mitsubishi unit (MSZ-GL09NA, 9000 cooling, 11000 heating) and asked if I would install it to see how well it works. I just question waiting until Decemebr to prove or disprove there is adequate heating

Thanks Again

Post Likes
    Thank you nice to know about the Carrier units

Post Likes
    any heat pump will need quite a bit of run time to recover in the winter from a 40° start.

9. Likes Juan Madera liked this post
    Post Likes
    Understood, and will provide that feedback to them, Thank you

Post Likes
    Mitsubishi hyperheat units work down to -17degrees (or maybe it is -13) with essentially full capacity. They need to be mounted on pump ups and require a base pan heater in cold applications. Never had an application problem with a properly sized system

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I am constantly amazed at the heating performance of the off brand two headed mini split I installed in a rental I own. Renter is almost gushy in praise over the hydronic BB that was the primary heat source. Left the BB functional, but has never been used all winter here in NW NV

Post Likes
    I install the fujitsu brand. They can go down to -15F if you install the high heat models. I never had a customer complain yet. Matter of fact I'm bidding one right now. I did there neighbors last fall and they seen how well it worked.

Post Likes
    Was just at the Mitsubishi service course yesterday, hyperheats work at 100% capacity until around -15c and will still heat but at lower efficiency until -25c

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast