Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    Quiet side,just curious.Have you had any issues with that Boiler?Worked on two,been told the Control Boards are crap.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    I have no hard facts to back this up but in reading about energy savings it might be a waste of time $$ to insulate the HW tank. My understanding is modern insulation already in the tank should be enough. Can't hurt though.
    Your lucky that you can insulate pipes. I'm on a slab and while a slab offers some advantages, insulating pipes isn't one of them.
    What benefits does a slab offer, and compared to what? Dirt floors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by heatingman View Post
    What benefits does a slab offer,
    radiant heating or cooling, delta vs ambient

4. Likes heatingman liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmaniac View Post
    Quiet side,just curious.Have you had any issues with that Boiler?Worked on two,been told the Control Boards are crap.
    Never had any issues with the board. After 5 years, only had to replace ignitor and flame rod. Can't complain so far.
    -----Stop, step back, relax and have another go at it.-----

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    I have no hard facts to back this up but in reading about energy savings it might be a waste of time $$ to insulate the HW tank. My understanding is modern insulation already in the tank should be enough. Can't hurt though.
    Your lucky that you can insulate pipes. I'm on a slab and while a slab offers some advantages, insulating pipes isn't one of them.
    And being a ranch on a full basement helps too! I figured there wouldn't be much improvement insulating the tank, but like you said, wouldn't hurt.
    -----Stop, step back, relax and have another go at it.-----

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by heatingman View Post
    What benefits does a slab offer, and compared to what? Dirt floors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There are both advantages and disadvantages. One advantage is slabs are better than dirt floors.
    Really though they have a very solid feel. I build a home once with 2x12 floor joists with 1" subfloor and 3/4 wood floor on top (I thought I'd live there forever) and my slab still feels more solid. I have been in track homes that had 3/4 T&G floors. Walking through the kitchen I could hear the dishes rattle. That won't happen with a slab.
    The disadvantages are colder floors and real hard to make any changes. My plumbing was run below the slab so that could be a future problem plus it's cold. I've solved my waiting for the water to get hot but there are still energy losses.
    My slab is not built how I would have. A good slab has good parameter insulation extending below grade and 18" beyond the footing. 4" of ridged insulation under the slab. Inside and outside 4" drain tile or ABS.
    Code here has ducts in slabs encapsulated with 2" concrete and that's better than Sonotube but there are measurable losses for heat flow and balancing is difficult. If I ever build again I would think real hard of how to run the ducts in the conditioned space along with the plumbing.
    Where I live there are almost no basements. All slabs or crawl spaces. I wouldn't want a crawl. I see no advantage to them except $$ and I don't care that much about $$.
    Give me a relay with big enough contacts, and I'll run the world!

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

If a person wants to create a machine that will be more likely to fail...Make it complicated.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    Went to a service call once,slab House,boiler in garage,sound of running water coming from under Neath!Jack Hammer Time!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmaniac View Post
    Went to a service call once,slab House,boiler in garage,sound of running water coming from under Neath!Jack Hammer Time!
    I've found that too a couple of times but only a couple. There are other leaks that are never found.. There are negatives and positives to all types of construction. Except for $$, a crawl is my least favorite and a basement the favorite if I can write the specs for the floor. I don't want to walk through and have it feel like a house trailer.
    When I worked in Ill almost all were full basements. Most problems there were flooding, mold, pests. Those things can be minimized if a contractor will do it. That's another problem.
    With a crawl, the problems are over the top.
    Give me a relay with big enough contacts, and I'll run the world!

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

If a person wants to create a machine that will be more likely to fail...Make it complicated.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    Having hot water right away is one of the nicest things you can do for yourself.
    I've solved this problem in two homes of mine. The first was a home I built. It was a two story with a basement. I ran the hot water pipe in a loop and returned it to the drain on the tank. All insulated. It was a thermal siphon. The hot water would naturally rise in the hot pipe, cool somewhat and return in the other pipe to the tank. I had a ball valve and check valve on the return line. The system worked great.

Yep they work great till you replace the tanks and don't think about the freaking check valves they install at the factory on the hot and cold nipple to prevent just that! I found out the hard way after replacing two tanks piped together at a clients house. Suddenly his gravity return loop stopped working after 20 years of not having an issue.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12