+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ZebraStat

Post Likes

ZebraStat

I've been thinking about ordering one up. Nobody around here sells them and I've never seen one in person. It looks kind of handy but if you've used one how do you like it? For that matter what have you found it useful for? How is the build quality will it hold up or is it flimsy plastic junk? I'm not really sure if I should even bother but it looks kind of neat and it's cheap enough that even if I buy it and toss it in the truck for only occasional use it wont be a huge loss but part of me is reading the description and it seems like something I can already do with my meter and some jumper cables.

Post Likes
    Not sure about the specific tool, But I would advise against Zebra in general. I once had a phase rotation meter from them that blew up during use. I sent it in, and they blamed me for the issue- claimed I took it apart wrong.

I took it apart to see what blew up - I explained that in the email I sent to them - there was a wire that rubbed against an internal part creating a short/ they claimed I caused it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

... sitting in the Hollywood Hawaiian Hotel, listening to the air conditioner hum
    Post Likes
    They're not particularly cheap. They're very solid, good quality. They don't really do anything that you can't do with jumpers and a meter or test light, but it could make testing those issues a lot faster, depending on your situation, and how you troubleshoot things mentally.

I do a lot of commercial startups, mostly Lennox rooftops. I cut the alligator clips off, and put on a Lennox Smartwire plug, that can connect directly to a Prodigy board. It's a huge timesaver, in that particular situation. Your mileage may vary.

The great professors of the art are not immune from the malignancy of matter and the eternal cussedness of inanimate objects.

Post Likes
    The zebrastat is helpful with thermostat wiring or stats that send incorrect signals, it'll tell you which wires have continuity, and which are powered, it also lets you control the unit simply. I've had the zebrastat on the truck for at least 12 years, it doesn't come out very often but when needed it's a very valuable tool.
    There are two ways to do things, Right and Again.

Post Likes
    I have a zebra uz1 and I don't find it all that useful.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Well cheap is relative I guess. I'll hold off for now I could use a new refrigerant scale so maybe that will come first.

7. Likes heatingman liked this post.
    Post Likes
    The Zebra stat had it's usefulness but mine doesn't see much use.
    You need to put the phone down and get back to work!

Post Likes
    I used my zebrastat this morning to prove to an engineer type homeowner, that his nest was garbage and his entire problem with his heat pump. Ran fine from zebrastat with nest off its base. Attach nest again, no signal, provable by LED lights. Was an easy win, doing it with jumpers wouldn't of been as easy to show him.
    There are two ways to do things, Right and Again.

10. Likes greg58 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by shavedneon View Post
    I used my zebrastat this morning to prove to an engineer type homeowner, that his nest was garbage and his entire problem with his heat pump. Ran fine from zebrastat with nest off its base. Attach nest again, no signal, provable by LED lights. Was an easy win, doing it with jumpers wouldn't of been as easy to show him.
    OR just put the G/Y/R or G/R together and show consumer its the nest LOL

I do like the jumpers they sell ,ore HEavy duty and the VS X13 tester had some good uses for the units it can diagnose, never had an issue with that so cant speak to CS but their support people call back promptly or answer right away

Post Likes
    Zebra is a great time saver especially if you're working on a roof top unit. It saves the legs.
    Doug

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in