+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Coils: OEM vs. 3rd Party??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes

Coils: OEM vs. 3rd Party??

I have an upcoming bid to replace some commercial condenser and evaporator coils in Trane rooftop units. How does everyone feel about going with Trane OEM replacement coils vs. a 3rd party, and why?

Also, how much more would you typically pay for an OEM vs. 3rd party? 10% more, 20%, etc?

Thanks for your feedback

Post Likes
    On some commercial equipment, it is more a matter if an OEM is even available. I have had coils made for equipment that OEM was not available for 18 months or more. That stated, the replacement coils were never exactly correct. Add some screw holes and change some piping. And they are not cheap 1 at a time.

3. Likes CHAINIK, heatingman liked this post.
    Post Likes
    From my time on the other side of the counter dealing with Commercial Trane RTUs, OEM is usually the way to go when it comes to coils (if available or if factory will build). OEM of course costs more (ranging from 10-40% depending on numerous factors), but you know what you're getting is what you need. Plus if you have the standard 1yr parts/ 5yr compressor warranty and for some reason the coil fails in year 2-5, you preserve your compressor warranty.

---I will also admit I lost a bid to replace two OEM coils to 3rd party. I couldn't tell you how it performed, but I know cost wasn't even close.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in