View Poll Results: Do You Advise Customers on Winter Energy Savings Tips?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 60.00%
  • No

2 40.00%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Expert Advice on Winter Energy Savings

Post Likes

Cool Expert Advice on Winter Energy Savings

Hey guys I know we are getting out of winter, put this is a question I often get asked, especially in Kansas City where the winters can be brutal and really take a toll on a furnace or heater. We even wrote a blog post about it last year- https://www.jeremykc.com/blog/expert...nergy-savings/. We would love to hear others HVAC guys advice throughout different parts of the U.S. and anything you know or have discovered for energy savings during cold weather months for your area.

Post Likes
    Well its shorts and flip flops in the winter where I am

3. Likes Jeremy Services liked this post.
    Post Likes
    That is a fun and interesting question. From a home performance perspective air sealing and insulating are always the easy answer. How that is done is the tricky answer. After doing 100'sof energy audits I can tell you its all come down to the individual building. Becoming an expert at understanding your local building stock and knowing the subtleties of the home in you market will pay off big time.

5. Likes Jeremy Services liked this post.
    Post Likes
    A problem with homes is the same as it's always been. Poor construction both the build and the mechanicals.
    After the oil embargo in the 70's I thought for sure construction would change and become energy conscious. Never happened at least not in mainstream construction.
    It took a code re-write and force feeding contractors to achieve what we have now.
    I know there have always been contractors that don't fit that mold but they are few.
    You will know that what's out there in new construction is sad. All that's needed is to list what you might want in a home build then ask where they are.
    We are here on Earth to fart around ......Kurt Vonnegut

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    You can use blinds for solving this problem of energy saving in winter. Like in summer blinds reduce the heating amount to enter inside, same thing apply for winter, blinds reduce the amount the heat going from inside to outside.

Post Likes
    Well I’m in Chicago winters are absolutely brutal here are some times last year was the first one for a while that it was actually pretty bad the two winners before that were pretty warm so it was nice to see some cold weather again I would say for energy efficiency would be just recommending insulation in the attic windows and high efficiency furnace is where boilers of course thermostat settings and things like that automatic thermostat programmable’s and etc.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by npern View Post
    That is a fun and interesting question. From a home performance perspective air sealing and insulating are always the easy answer. How that is done is the tricky answer. After doing 100'sof energy audits I can tell you its all come down to the individual building. Becoming an expert at understanding your local building stock and knowing the subtleties of the home in you market will pay off big time.
    Yup. Need a blower door for this, after that the ability to think slowly is helpful.

5 Priorities to Home Performance:

Air seal
    Air seal
    Air seal
    Insulate
    Install MUCH SMALLER equipment to improve comfort and cut cycling losses.

Quickest/easiest answer is to send them the link to this free chapter of the Home Comfort Book -
    http://www.natethehousewhisperer.com...mfort-101.html

Ask them to contact you back when they've read it.
    (Might help you sell some really big jobs...)

Post Likes
    Focus on air leaks first, insulation second.

Replacement Windows have a horrible payback (100+ years) and some historic windows on older home are of high quality and can be nearly air tight when refurbished.

On taller homes, stack effect is tremendous. Focus on air leaks at the top of the home as much as the bottom. Air leaks out can cause moisture issues.

Be careful modifying homes build before 1950. Unintended consequences can occur.

Look at the complete system, not just combustion efficiency. Air/Water/Heat distribution, balance, radiant heat, register location, air mixing, stratification and thermostat placement.

Right sized equipment heat more evenly and less air leaks, close less to install.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sheljones View Post
    You can use blinds for solving this problem of energy saving in winter. Like in summer blinds reduce the heating amount to enter inside, same thing apply for winter, blinds reduce the amount the heat going from inside to outside.
    I disagree. Blinds only reduce the light entering the house. They make the room darker but do little to reduce heat gain. Light which strikes the glass enters the house and raises the temperature between the glass and the blinds (or curtain or even blankets). That heat radiates into the house in spite of interior window coverings. Awnings which shade the windows provide much more reduction of heat gain.

A case in point is a customer who had a large south facing window. In the summer the room was too hot for them to use. They had hung a large grey blanket over the inside of the window in an effort to reduce heat gain. It did not help. I advised them to find a way to shade the OUTSIDE of the window. They bought a bamboo shade which they hung over the outside of the window and the temperature of the room became the same as the other rooms.

Would you explain how blinds can reduce heat loss during the winter?
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

Post Likes
    Blinds effect SHGC not U ( unless blinds are internal ) Not sure where a 100 year payback on windows comes from, I would never quote that # .....Like said above, it breaks down to the individual home, Does the home have Exposure Diversity, Does the homehave Wall Insulation--Take a home with 12A Walls ( no insulation) and the windows ( new) outperform the walls

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in