Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Likes

Low Pressure recovery/reclaiming equipment

I have looked around and couldn't find another post regarding this. If I'm bringing up an old topic, I apologize.

I'm looking to see what others are using to recover low pressure refrigerant. We have a few home made machines that work well, but am curious to what other use and how they work.

I'm also curious on how fast they are. I would like to pose a scenario and you may chime in on how long it would take you (approx).

Lets say you have a 123 centrifugal with a 1000# charge. Chiller has been down for some time and both barrels are at room temp. How long would it take you (including push/pull) and to what vacuum level?

Post Likes
    Are current unit does about 800lbs in a hour push pull.

That is with 1/2 hoses and 3/4 valves and dip tube on the tank.

Then about 60lbs hr of vapor to 25 mmhg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by JEF1980; 03-11-2017 at 12:23 PM.

Post Likes
    Reflect makes a good low pressure machine, if recovery equipment was mad after 1993 you have to pull down to 25.4 mm absolute. Prior to 1993 you can pulls down 25"inches .
    Start to finish it would take approx. 16 hours
    Normally you push pull all liquid then vapor recovery overnight if your comfortable with water pumps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Likes CHILLERSVCMAN, Nuclrchiller liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I push/pull with a 12 cfm Welch vacuum pump using 1/2" and 3/4" hoses. The vapor recovery united​ is home made. Has a 2 ton compressor with an evaporator in a stainless tank. Air cooled condenser on the outside. There is a diaphragm pump that pulls vapor off the top and pumps it into another cold chamber with a float on the bottom. It has an adjustable relief on top (acts as a purge).
    After liquid is out, I swap hoses to feed the recovery unit with the vacuum pump. The pump has an oil separator on the discharge, which is valved to the inlet to refill when the refer washes the oil out.
    I throttle back the pump to keep the recovery unit and pump discharge from going positive.
    I hate breathing 123 if I don't have to. With this setup, I can pull this charge to 700 microns in about 12 hours. I can open the machine up and have almost no remnants of 123.

Stop, step back, relax and have another go at it.
    -----Stop, step back, relax and have another go at it.-----

Post Likes
    With the recovery machine, tank, hose etc in place, it would take me about 3 hours to recover 1000LB, sometimes takes longer to get the tools to the site than what it takes to suck her dry.
    There is not better place for the working men than the union! 100% UA the only HVAC union!

7. Likes CHILLERSVCMAN liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    With the recovery machine, tank, hose etc in place, it would take me about 3 hours to recover 1000LB, sometimes takes longer to get the tools to the site than what it takes to suck her dry.
    That is fast! Would you mind me asking what you are using?

Post Likes
    And please don't tell me a couple T's and a small recovery unit to make it look good! Lol, jk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BennyD View Post
    That is fast! Would you mind me asking what you are using?

Pretty much the same as you, welch duoseal, 12 CFM, with oil separator and watercooled condenser, 5/8 hoses, all home made.
    There is not better place for the working men than the union! 100% UA the only HVAC union!

Post Likes
    Pretty much the same as you, welch duoseal, 12 CFM, with oil separator and watercooled condenser, 5/8 hoses, all home made.
    Do you use chilled water if available or just city water? We did acquire a Trane unit that is water cooled with a smaller Welch duoseal. No one has ever used it yet. After hearing what you can do with a comparable setup, I just may try it... maybe modifying the piping to run one of our larger pumps. Are you pulling down to 25mmHg?

Post Likes
    Do you use chilled water if available or just city water? We did acquire a Trane unit that is water cooled with a smaller Welch duoseal. No one has ever used it yet. After hearing what you can do with a comparable setup, I just may try it... maybe modifying the piping to run one of our larger pumps. Are you pulling down to 25mmHg?

I use any cold water i can get my hands on, most of the time is city water and I try to go lower than 25mmhg give or take 30K microns, I do too suffer from exposure to 123, I cant barely tolerate it so I try to minimize exposure to that nasty stuff.

Post Likes
    I use any cold water i can get my hands on, most of the time is city water and I try to go lower than 25mmhg give or take 30K microns, I do too suffer from exposure to 123, I cant barely tolerate it so I try to minimize exposure to that nasty stuff.
    Sorry for so many questions, I'm intrigued. After push/pull, I would imagine you hook up your water cooled condenser to the discharge of the pump and that to your tank? How do you purge the liquid out of the condenser?
    Also, do you just use a good size garden hose from a spigot, or do you use a larger hose with a good 3/4" connection or bigger?
    I really appreciate it!

Post Likes
    Sorry for so many questions, I'm intrigued. After push/pull, I would imagine you hook up your water cooled condenser to the discharge of the pump and that to your tank? How do you purge the liquid out of the condenser?
    Yes to your first question.......and I dont (purging) I leave it there and put it back in when repairs are done.
    Also, do you just use a good size garden hose from a spigot, or do you use a larger hose with a good 3/4" connection or bigger?
    I really appreciate it!
    a regular garden hose is more than enough

Post Likes
    Yes to your first question.......and I dont (purging) I leave it there and put it back in when repairs are done.

a regular garden hose is more than enough
    Ok, one last question and I'll stop bugging you. Does it cool enough to let the pump run flat out early in the vapor process? I would imagine it could, due to the time frame you run.
    Again, thank you!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast