Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Has anyone had equipment sabotaged by another service company?!

OK, showed up on a contract customer's site to PM 2 chillers. Owner states one chiller had bad a bad board and the local rep was there to look at it under warranty a week or 2 prior to me showing up. The other chiller tripped out on low evap pressure. Long story short, found actuator on liquid line indexed wrong so the valve would only open 1/2 way. Chillers are 2 years old. Found paint chipped off on nuts and bolts at the actuator. There is no way it slipped or anything. This was deliberately done. When speaking to the owner about the problem, I stated that I didn't want to point fingers but this was done by SOMEONE. I talked to any of our techs that might have been there. No one touched it. This chiller never had any problems with this valve/actuator. I was there to look over job just after completion.
    Have any of you guys ran into situations like this and how did you handle it?

Stop, step back, relax and have another go at it.
    -----Stop, step back, relax and have another go at it.-----

Post Likes
    Sabataged may be the wrong word. Sabatage in my head means someone did something to cause damage, misoperation, cause failure of equipment, some type of distrubance or problem for you or the owner.

When chillers don't work correctly, either the office gets hot or a process does not work correctly making the boss to get hot or cost the business money. Many locations have some type of a maintenance/operations type person (someone who thinks they know how this equipment works) and goes to try and help. These helpful smiles many times start/stop, adjust, switch and turn "stuff" trying to restore the equioment to a functional condition.

More than once I've had one of these helpful people come and tell me "Yep, I got this running for them again!" and don't understand they may have got it running again but not correctly.

Good luck

Post Likes
    I am very close with this customer. He is incredibly smart and anal about his equipment. I am 100% positive that none of his guys would have touched it. (Btw, there is only 1 other guy)
    What really irks me, is that this hurts no one other than the customer.
    The lead engineer here was at another building where we stole the contract from the same company because they had issues with those chillers. They never got a chance to put a bid in on these chillers, went straight through us. I would believe there is some animosity over that.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the additional info

Post Likes
    No problem. Thought it would have been way too long if I put all of that in the original post.

Post Likes
    I have and one very seriously.
    The job bid was on replacing a 20 ton at the air base. Only myself and the company that did the maintenance service contract on the building attended the mandatory walk thru. I'll call them Co.X. On the walk thru the salesman from Co.X pointed to a phase monitor and said Oh Oh DDC. as if he wasn't going to bid the job. I knew he would go high thinking he was on his own.
    When I won the contract, Co X put up numerous objections like I would never know how to hook up to the buildings automation sys. and things like I wasn't in the phone book ( I wasn't on purpose) among other things. The objections were strong enough that notes were taken by the person in charge of the job.
    After the install I stopped by the building several times to see how everything was. One afternoon I got a call of bad vibrations. When arriving I saw the Carlyle compressors sight glasses oil almost black. One grounded compressor and severe system contamination.
    Keeping this short I did some investigating and saw oil spill by the service valve that was new. I suspected contaminated oil was injected into the system.
    I asked the maintenance guy if he had noticed anything unusual. He said only a guy from CoX was out by the unit with a gallon oil can. When asked what he was doing his response was "Oh just cleaning up some spills."
    We had a government meeting to address the warranty that I felt should be suspended. While evidence I provided along with photos of other clues were enough to suspend my warranty it was concluded that "Ya they did it but how to prove it."
    Government work can be a tad strange. Five years later the buildings use was changed and my equipment was removed. Nothing lasts forever especially on the Base.
    Give me a relay with big enough contacts, and I'll run the world!

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

If a person wants to create a machine that will be more likely to fail...Make it complicated.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

7. Likes craig1 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    your being paranoid.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    I have and one very seriously.
    The job bid was on replacing a 20 ton at the air base. Only myself and the company that did the maintenance service contract on the building attended the mandatory walk thru. I'll call them Co.X. On the walk thru the salesman from Co.X pointed to a phase monitor and said Oh Oh DDC. as if he wasn't going to bid the job. I knew he would go high thinking he was on his own.
    When I won the contract, Co X put up numerous objections like I would never know how to hook up to the buildings automation sys. and things like I wasn't in the phone book ( I wasn't on purpose) among other things. The objections were strong enough that notes were taken by the person in charge of the job.
    After the install I stopped by the building several times to see how everything was. One afternoon I got a call of bad vibrations. When arriving I saw the Carlyle compressors sight glasses oil almost black. One grounded compressor and severe system contamination.
    Keeping this short I did some investigating and saw oil spill by the service valve that was new. I suspected contaminated oil was injected into the system.
    I asked the maintenance guy if he had noticed anything unusual. He said only a guy from CoX was out by the unit with a gallon oil can. When asked what he was doing his response was "Oh just cleaning up some spills."
    We had a government meeting to address the warranty that I felt should be suspended. While evidence I provided along with photos of other clues were enough to suspend my warranty it was concluded that "Ya they did it but how to prove it."
    Government work can be a tad strange. Five years later the buildings use was changed and my equipment was removed. Nothing lasts forever especially on the Base.
    Your situation was worse than mine! I only had nuisance trips, you had unit failure! I agree that proving it is the hardest thing. I know who did this one, he put his name in for the motor greasing... which is a part of OUR contract. His last name is on another tag on the unit. He should have only touched what he was there for to begin with! Just aggravating. I want to go back to that company sooo bad, but I know if I do, the offices will get involved. It's not going to help anyone.

Post Likes
    In this day and age of a camera everywhere be very careful of accusing anyone of anything.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    In this day and age of a camera everywhere be very careful of accusing anyone of anything.
    I was very careful in my wording to the customer believe me. It was a very awkward moment.

Post Likes
    Ex customer had a 2 comp Choo Choo HP put in, I lost the sale. 9 years later they call for a quote on new heat pump. Salesman goes out, says why - compressor is under warranty. We send a tech out. Old chicken wing. Older guy with bad arm, can't lift the top off so I go out. First we find 1 CCH lead wire all shot due to insulation rot. Get it out of there. Yup, little compressor won't start. He's ready to pronounce death. Not me. I know who condemned it. Grab the schematic and look on the comp wiring. Hmmm, wonder what happens if I put this here wire on this contactor post like the schematic says it goes. Now try it. Purrs right along, then Y2 calls and the bing one comes on. Been about 5 years, still going strong. Transferred the Trane extended warranty to us, replaced the CCH for free. Customer for life. Replaced their addition furnace yesterday.

Same company told their customer (different family) their predecessor to the IAQ was shot. HO says worked before he got there. Our tech never seen one before. I tell him how it works, he traces the wiring and found common for the contactor removed. Gee, contactor can't pull in without a common. When it does, he finds it low on gas. We sell them a new A/C system, that Perfect Climate control system still there several years later.

Post Likes
    The only up side to that is people talk. They will give themselves a bad rep and not even know it. Terrible because is seems to be common practice among them.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    your being paranoid.

Normally I would agree as employees don't care that at much if a sale is lost. In this job I had a heads up about the company and they had a nasty rep. Along with numerous clues that convinced the people at the Base something was suspicious. Especially the guy with the empty oil can.
    Another time I won a maintenance contract. I did my inspection before my bid and all was well. A few days later I got a call of no cooling. 75 ton unit and all the TXV's had their superheat adjustment screwed shut and the HG valves full open.
    That was not paranoia.
    It happens but not often.
    Give me a relay with big enough contacts, and I'll run the world!

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

If a person wants to create a machine that will be more likely to fail...Make it complicated.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast