Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BennyD View Post
    I agree with everything you said there. I do work for a major brand, which so happens to be a franchise still, non-union. Average jouneyman pay here would be a slight pay cut for me. Owner is great, benefits, safety and just about everything else you mentioned. Other than office politics(which you'll find anywhere), I have no gripe. They've treated me well. At 10 years, I'm still a youngin' here. I'm being mentored by our senior service guy of 40+ years in the company. The stationary engineers that I have had contact with here are nothing like you have described... at least in the buildings I'm in. They usually put out a service call for any issues. They run the plant, some PM work but that's it. Maybe a contract difference? I think you may have helped me answer my own question. I'm happy where I am, with an employer I can see retiring from. My dream goal is to get out before my body gives out and hopefully teach HVAC. That would be a nice wind down to my career. I really appreciate your response.
    I have a buddy in local 94 in a stationary position and he also said depending on issue they call up someone else for service, I thought that was a bit odd. I wanted to crack a joke, but I bit my tongue..lol

My advice is do whatever makes you happy, I got back into the trade after 8 months of long, hard thinking about what I really enjoyed doing. If I wanted to get rich I wouldn't be in this trade and it's not all about the money, but the challenge and satisfaction. If teaching is what you want to finish up as, I say go for it! If that's what will truly make you feel like you're waking up to do a hobby, instead of waking up to go to work. Never lose site of what is important to you and what makes you happy, and never give up until you reach it. You control your own destiny.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by psehunter View Post
    I have a buddy in local 94 in a stationary position and he also said depending on issue they call up someone else for service, I thought that was a bit odd. I wanted to crack a joke, but I bit my tongue..lol

My advice is do whatever makes you happy, I got back into the trade after 8 months of long, hard thinking about what I really enjoyed doing. If I wanted to get rich I wouldn't be in this trade and it's not all about the money, but the challenge and satisfaction. If teaching is what you want to finish up as, I say go for it! If that's what will truly make you feel like you're waking up to do a hobby, instead of waking up to go to work. Never lose site of what is important to you and what makes you happy, and never give up until you reach it. You control your own destiny.
    I agree with your point as well. I know I won't get rich nor do I want to. It's more of a focus on bettering myself and making my family financially comfortable. I love my work. Sure there are some jobs that you'd rather not have to go to, but in all, this field is very satisfying. It is extremely diverse. I'm glad I joined this site. Seems like a lot of great guys here!

Stop, step back, relax and have another go at it.
    -----Stop, step back, relax and have another go at it.-----

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12