Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Likes
    Sorry . What I meant to say is . I'm setting my lockout control differently.
    Now . I know not all installs have one , but I'm a proponent of some form of heat pump lockout .

I don't like letting w2 be the desciding factor . I much prefer locking that heat pump out at a set point where outdoor air temp is too low for the pump to remain efficient .

To me it saves energy doing it this way . Saves added wear and tear on the equipment , just makes better sense .

So Thank you for pointing out the need for clarification.
    Yes . You do not have a balance point setting per say . But you can control what the system does at balance point .

Post Likes

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    You're getting closer, but you're not quite there yet. Yes, it is all about temperatures.

Please show me on your charts where it matters what latitude those temps occur.
    Location doesn't matter, outdoor temp does. Your design day could be 15 degree's at one place in which is the balance point and 45 in another. I think I understand what your trying to get at, but the balance points would be setup and calculated differently given those 2 locations.

Post Likes
    So, do you get it now?

It is a temperature.

Whether or not that temp is reached or not is an entirely different matter.

Quote Originally Posted by psehunter View Post

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Since I started this let me jump in here... I am with BB

To have a system in Texas reach the balance point You would need a 8-10 SEER unit. Now if the heat loss of the house was the same as the one in Canada with the same unit, the balance point would have to be the same. Additionally, considering the outside temps would be the same.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://hvac-talk.com/aop

Post Likes
    You're confusing balance point and design temp.

The balance point remains the same. The design temp changes.

Location doesn't matter, outdoor temp does. Your design day could be 15 degree's at one place in which is the balance point and 45 in another.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by joemach View Post
    Since I started this let me jump in here... I am with BB

To have a system in Texas reach the balance point You would need a 8-10 SEER unit. Now if the heat loss of the house was the same as the one in Canada with the same unit, the balance point would have to be the same. Additionally, considering the outside temps would be the same.
    Yesm, but outdoor temps in the winter are not the same. I already stated if the temps were both the same = same balance point, but canada in the winter is not texas and your balance points would not be the same.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    You're confusing balance point and design temp.

The balance point remains the same. The design temp changes.
    I'm not sure, the definition is written above and includes " the outdoor temp" Which is not the same in those 2 places.

Post Likes
    Here's another way to look at it that might help.

Maybe the design temp is so low in one place that there will rarely be an occasion when the temp is above the balance point, so a heat pump would not be a good choice for heating.

Post Likes
    Balance point would be based on outdoor temp being the same. Otherwise you are comparing apples to oranges.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://hvac-talk.com/aop

Post Likes
    You're a tiny bit closer.

Balance point does not change. Design temp does change.

I'm not sure, the definition is written above and includes " the outdoor temp" Which is not the same in those 2 places.

Post Likes
    Balance point would be based on outdoor temp being the same. Otherwise you are comparing apples to oranges.
    Right! That's what I stated, if temps are identical than yes, but we all know they're not, huge difference between Canada and Texas.

Post Likes
    This is actually a very simple concept. And will depend on each individual structure.

For example, my house was built in the fifties. And with no insulation. So if I installed a heat pump, the balance point would higher compared to a home built today that was much tighter and better insulated.

Any chart provided by a manufacture needs to make some sort of average assumption for the heat loss of a home.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast