+ Reply to Thread

Thread: True 2 door fridge compressor noise

Post Likes

True 2 door fridge compressor noise

I have a video but it won't let me post a link until I have 7 posts.

New member. I'm a facility manager for a pretty large non profit performing arts company. I take care of 8 buildings and the equipment within. I'm far from a refrigeration tech, but I'm not a total noob either.

I bought a True commercial fridge from a friend who's restaurant closed down. The compressor (Tecumseh AK168AT-038) makes a lot of noise and it isn't loose or vibrating something else. It's definitely an internal "rattle"...sort of. I really wish I could post the video. This unit is R134-A if that matters. It seems to cool fine, the issue is the noise. Compressor sticker says it was manufactured in 2014. An app on my phone says the sound is about 70dB.

Is this normal, or is there an issue with the compressor? I only paid $400 for this fridge but if it needs a compressor I'm not sure I'll keep it. As soon as I have 7 posts I'll post the video.

Post Likes
    Compressor pump/motor on the inside of the shell is mounted on springs. Think of springs under the front of your car. Sometimes a spring breaks. I have seen two in 13 years of servicing equipment. Kinda rare, but does happen. Unit normally still runs, but is noisy as hell. Only cure is to replace the compressor if this is the problem. Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I did work at a shell station and they called me to tell me the compressor made a horrible noise. I came in and it was humming away fine and I just assumed they were nuts. They called me back and tried to have the sound play over the phone. I returned and once again saw it was running fine. I short cycled it a few times and the rattle cake out in full force. One of the springs had broken and every now and then on start up it would make a horrible horrible noise. Like brewmaster said sometimes the spring(s) in cans break and this happens.

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    Yup, just like that! She's a broken all right!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    They have a five year warranty from true

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    They have a five year warranty from true
    Thanks everyone for the info.

The compressor is definitely a lot newer than the fridge, but I'll check into warranty. Although it seems like a long shot since I am at least the 3rd owner.

8. Likes craig1 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Was the comp noisy at the last location,before shipping? Was the RI laid on its side during shipping?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TechmanTerry View Post
    Was the comp noisy at the last location,before shipping? Was the RI laid on its side during shipping?
    It had been in a garage unplugged for over a year, and the seller said it worked fine the last time he used it. But maybe the noise didn't bother him. Or maybe it wasn't noisy then.

Yes we did have to put it on its side to get it in the truck. Did I screw up? I let it stand upright for about 48 hours before I plugged it back in.

Post Likes
    We have a Victory fridge, older model but similar compressor in a service bar that has been clanking away the past three seasons like that. Still keeps the beer cold and since its in a noisy kitchen no problem.

Post Likes

thanks for info

Thanks, my compressor doesn't make that noise, but a loud noise when it starts, that goes away. Is it the same spring I have seen the responses of? does it mean the compressor is on it's way out? Thank you in advance.

Post Likes
    It sounds like you probably have some issue with your compressor, but keep in mind that these commercial units are normally a little louder than you think. I have had a handful of people call me in years past who bought True coolers for their home kitchen. They are pretty loud in a home environment.

Post Likes
    If it's only noisy on startup I'd be changing the start components. Start relay\ capacitor.
    Most of those compressors will actually start and run with only using the run circuit. But it's VERY hard on them and they can make an ungodly groaning when starting

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in