+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Helping a Friend Rebuild a 550HP Caterpillar Diesel Engine

Post Likes
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

2. Likes biodieselman liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rider77 View Post
    When those guys (trucks) went away...
    Driving was no fun anymore!

Trust the govt to screw up everything we enjoy ! ! ! ! !
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    Got to see what happens when a 6v gets a snort of natural gas one time. Always wondered how many rpm she was turning before it came apart. Sounded like 15-20 thousand but probably not that fast.

Post Likes
    Any chance of a startup/idling video?
    I'd love to do one, but I don't have a video camera or a good cell phone to do that.
    No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another. -- Charles Dickens

Post Likes
    Oh well.
    If you are able to get anything, somehow, I can post it for you if you'd like
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    When those guys (trucks) went away...
    Driving was no fun anymore!

Trust the govt to screw up everything we enjoy ! ! ! ! !
    I enjoy watching the really old school guys shift with double and triple sticks. I have no clue how you even begin to know what gear your in. After watching them a modern 18 speed Eaton looks boring.
    Some companies are even going to automatics.

Post Likes
    I enjoy watching the really old school guys shift with double and triple sticks. I have no clue how you even begin to know what gear your in. After watching them a modern 18 speed Eaton looks boring.
    Some companies are even going to automatics.
    I have driven those old things... they are major cool!

The thing about the old 'Detroits' (slang name for the 2 cycle diesels, also called 'Jimmys')... is they have a power band about 750 RPM's wide... maybe 1000 max.
    One needs to keep the engine in is range...
    Soooo... one keeps changing ranges.

The trannies are literally two boxes back to back... one gets used to the ranges and the loads.

What is a LOT easier to drive... was a 13 speed 'road-ranger'...
    If I remember, it had a 3 way splitter on a switch on the shift lever...
    Depending on the load on the truck... one would sometimes skip some 'ranges'...

Truck automatics... probably easier on the drivetrain... definitely NO FUN to drive!

In the early/mid 1970's... I was working in a school district bus garage... went to school on the Allison auto trannies... they are not that difficult to rebuild... just need to learn to use some special tools to check clearances.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

*The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)

Post Likes
    I was always partial to "screaming jimmy", "driptroit diesel", and "buzzin dozen" (12v).
    IIRC, those engines had an "allowable" oil loss due to the amount of oil they naturally leaked.
    These were way before my time. I was born in '84 but every car movie I can remember watching as a kid, had the sound of a Detroit used during scenes featuring semis.
    I now want to leave hvac and go be a trucker. I'll call the wife at lunch and tell her to pack what can fit in the sleeper of a '79 Peterbilt

Post Likes
    One of the various 'young guy' jobs I had... was driving a concrete mixer...
    They had 6-71's in them... screaming engines...and LOADS of fun to drive!
    After about a week, I figured out how to keep the engine just in the right range...
    And after another week, could shift many times by the tack, without the clutch.

Then reality set in... and I had to get a real job... grin!
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    One of the various 'young guy' jobs I had... was driving a concrete mixer...
    They had 6-71's in them... screaming engines...and LOADS of fun to drive!
    After about a week, I figured out how to keep the engine just in the right range...
    And after another week, could shift many times by the tack, without the clutch.

Then reality set in... and I had to get a real job... grin!
    Lol. Best way to drive those is mad as hell. Slam your hand in the door before you climb in the cab. Still a few running around here in farm trucks. Can't get it through to some of them that it's better on that engine to wind her up then lug it around.

12. Likes ga-hvac-tech liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I was always partial to "screaming jimmy", "driptroit diesel", and "buzzin dozen" (12v).
    IIRC, those engines had an "allowable" oil loss due to the amount of oil they naturally leaked.
    These were way before my time. I was born in '84 but every car movie I can remember watching as a kid, had the sound of a Detroit used during scenes featuring semis.
    I now want to leave hvac and go be a trucker. I'll call the wife at lunch and tell her to pack what can fit in the sleeper of a '79 Peterbilt
    IIRC... they also swallowed oil... as in it found its way into combustion...
    With the 2 cycle design... took a LOT of oil to keep the rings lubricated.

OTOH... that is one nice thing about diesels... the fuel is oily rather than a solvent... so the parts in contact with fuel generally do not wear as fast... due to lubrication from the fuel.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Post Likes
    They installed the engine in the water drilling rig today. My camera quit after the last picture, so this is all there will be. Hooked up water, fuel and starter today. Cranked engine and tested for good oil pressure and fuel pressure. Tomorrow the new turbocharger gets installed, and they are going to fire her up.

exreo

Huge compressor that the cat engine drives. It also drives hydraulics on the opposite end of the engine.
    No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another. -- Charles Dickens

Post Likes
    They get the drill stem out before she locked up or they going to be hung in the hole?

Post Likes
    I love the sound of GRUNT in the mornings.

But if you want to hear real diesel music...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by joeysmith View Post
    They get the drill stem out before she locked up or they going to be hung in the hole?
    I'm not sure about that. I know the truck has been where it is for a month waiting on the engine repair so they can start the new well there. They have a big backlog of jobs right now.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by biodieselman View Post
    I love the sound of GRUNT in the mornings.

But if you want to hear real diesel music...

I bet that old beast sounded pretty cool under a full load.

Post Likes
    I talked with Ernest today (Saturday), and he said the engine runs great. They are anxious to start drilling wells.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in