Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Homeowner Installed Units

Post Likes

Homeowner Installed Units

Do any of you guys have a policy with regards to servicing a homeowner installed unit? I get asked to service these types of equipment all the time and I always decline.

What do you guys do when asked to service a homeowner installed unit? Especially one bought from a home store.

Post Likes
    The first person to ask this question to would be your insurance carrier. Find out what they think about you (basically) owning an installation done by someone without liability insurance, no license and very questionable skill levels when it comes to following all the codes and rules that apply.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Post Likes
    Lets say that you didn't know who installed it. And they called for service on their existing unit,would you go?

I am not responsible for screw ups by "others", I will repair anybody's equipment as long as its done my way(Carrier,Rheem etc,etc) .If not,then NO!

Post Likes
    Some HO installed units are put in better than some dealer installed units

I don't see why it matters who installed it. Work on the sucker, document any deficiencies or problems you found from the installation to CYA. If it is unsafe, shut it down.

5. Likes MissouriBound, beenthere, town, Spitz liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Decline.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    For me it's the same either way for a new customer. I'll look it over. If it's not right, the conversation starts there before I start 'fixing' it.
    There's:
    -Perfect installs-sadly rare
    -Good installs
    -Good enough installs
    -Bad installs
    -Dangerous installs
    If it's one of the last 2 you may get the job of ripping it out and starting over. Especially true if it's a fustercluck.
    If I do a job in 30 minutes it's because I spent 30 years learning how to do that in 30 minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes.

Post Likes
    If it's done properly its no different than servicing a unit installed by another company. If it's wrong or dangerous I shut it down and call the gas company or oil supplier just like I do with any other unit.

9. Likes MissouriBound liked this post.
    Post Likes
    No big deal. If it's got something wrong you just tell them and say it's going to cost x to get it safe.

Post Likes
    I tell them i will warranty ONLY PARTS installed by me.
    NO warranty on the rest of the system.
    If the system is unsafe and the home owner refuses to pay me to fix it properly i will refuse the job .

Post Likes
    Sure, fixed many DIY mistakes. The repair bills are usally larger than normal and owner to ashamed to complain about cost because of having to have someone fix his screw up. Document what you found, document what you were authorized to repair. If unsafe tell them it is unsafe. Tell them the cost to repair to a safe condition.

By the same token I have fixed bad installs by other who claim to have been an installer

Post Likes
    Yea ill do it,have done it, bu9t its all or nothing, what gets done and how much is non negotiable and i always include rebrazing every joint just because i suspect solder.also before you quote take a look at ALL the piping.

Sent from my SM-G550T2 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Some HO installed units are put in better than some dealer installed units

I don't see why it matters who installed it. Work on the sucker, document any deficiencies or problems you found from the installation to CYA. If it is unsafe, shut it down.
    This.
    I don't care who installed it, I'll fix it for this much $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Post Likes
    How many ,besides me, have RECOMMENDED/ENCOURAGED a HO to put in his own ACH system? And he did! And he did it right!And he built/formed/shaped his own airplane!And he races/builds/repairs his own MG racing car!

Post Likes
    I get a huge charge out of techs who think they "own" something just because they touch it. Come on, who the heck are you kidding! They customer doesnt like you? They call someone else. You dont like them? You fire them.

You are merely a representative of your company whom that owner decided to call for service. The association starts when you touch the equipment, and ends when you start it back up in working condition, or in a condition better than when you found it.

Post Likes
    Why would you decline work?

And how does who installed it even come up? I couldn't tell you who installed over 99.99% of everything I've ever serviced.

Quote Originally Posted by jwbrager View Post
    Do any of you guys have a policy with regards to servicing a homeowner installed unit? I get asked to service these types of equipment all the time and I always decline.

What do you guys do when asked to service a homeowner installed unit? Especially one bought from a home store.

18. Likes HVAC_Marc liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    Why would you decline work?

And how does who installed it even come up? I couldn't tell you who installed over 99.99% of everything I've ever serviced.
    most places here throw their company stickers on it, most times it's a service sticker with some basic unit info.

Post Likes
    I fully understand that.

But with no stickers, or multiple stickers . . .

The whole premise of this thread is based on something that makes no sense to me.

Why would you walk away from money?

Quote Originally Posted by psehunter View Post
    most places here throw their company stickers on it, most times it's a service sticker with some basic unit info.

21. Likes Glennhvac liked this post.
    Post Likes
    IM amazed at the people that complain about homeowner diy .
    then the do a brake job on their own car .
    I don't care who installed it as i charge for the repair.
    Go Trump

23. Likes HVAC_Marc, MissouriBound liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    I fully understand that.

But with no stickers, or multiple stickers . . .

The whole premise of this thread is based on something that makes no sense to me.

Why would you walk away from money?
    Gotta agree. I get bewildered over so many posts about things like this. I have to wonder sometimes how many of these are started by someone who is an employee and not the owner. It's a whole lot easier squeaking about running certain calls when the owner is providing 6 more for you that day. Hey, at my point in this career if I had my way I'd turn down everything but cracked ignitors.

25. Likes BBeerme, lions_lair liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I learned a long time ago that those "diy" jobs or shoddy installs are why there's so much money to be made in this field.
    I've had weeks that consisted of nothing but punch list and going behind other ppls b.s........do this long enough and it makes sense especially in the winter slowdown.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast