Post Likes

Vulcan fryer / Milivolt unit

I have a single tank fryer, milivolt dc system, gas valve, temp controller and what looks like a high limit with a remote sensor in tank. I replaced the thermopile on several months ago. The customer at times has called me to say to he has to relight it shortly after the replacement of the part. While there i tried to degrease the area with components and gas valve I guess i thought so i would not have a voltage drop that could cause intermittent turning off of the unit. Sorry no model this thing is a work horse and lost all the data
    Now the cooks say when they pour oil into tank while running it will shut down and cause the pilot to shut off too.
    Can some one help me what I should be looking for?

Post Likes
    Is the limit in series with the pilot safety circuit? Then it makes sense.
    ckartson
    I didn't write the book I just read it!

Post Likes
    What do you mean the cooks pour oil in while running it? Like, the vat is empty but the burners are on and they pour the oil in? If so that's a no-no. They can't have the burners with an empty vat.

You say it turns off, I'm assuming you mean the pilot goes out. Do they have to reset the hi-limit?

Post Likes
    I mean the oil runs a little lower than level on tank and they add some . It never runs low to expose the stainless over the burners. They do not reset the limit but due to have to relight pilot

Post Likes
    What are the MV readings with only the pilot on and then with the pilot on and main valve open?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jman2794 View Post
    I mean the oil runs a little lower than level on tank and they add some . It never runs low to expose the stainless over the burners. They do not reset the limit but due to have to relight pilot
    It sure sounds like a high limit issue ......did you notice if its manual reset or auto reset.....have you measured how much miilivolts the powerepile is producing ? I would start from cold , set temp control to 350 , place a temp monitor device in the oil, and also use a meter on powerpile , and see where it drops out. Also check ground wire attached

Post Likes
    I will do that. I changed the thermopile because old one was at about 190 millivolts; the pilot would stay on but as soon as the gas valve would engage the pilot flame would drop out. The replacement of the thermopile cured that. Now I am having this happen only some times.

Post Likes
    I agree that it sounds like a limit issue. Even if it's a manual reset it doesn't have to "trip" to drop the pilot out. All that needs to happen is the contacts have to open for a split second. My guess, if the MV's check out, is they are lifting the 35lb jug of oil up and setting it down forcefully on the fryer while they take the lid off prior to pouring it in. That force is enough to jolt the contacts open on a weak limit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Likes jman2794, davejohnsonnola liked this post