Thread: Flaring tool

Post Likes

Flaring tool

Is it possible my 60278 flaring tool makes flares to big?
    I've had a few leaks and today while flaring 5/8 I could not pull the nut over the flare. I've had the tool for a while.
    You need to put the phone down and get back to work!

Post Likes
    Do you use a flare checker? Mine were always a hit and miss til I started checking them?

Post Likes
    I've not heard of that happening, but if you call (800)769-8370 you will get a live person who will transfer you to our tech support department. They can walk through the process with you to see if there is an issue with the tool. Please do not hesitate to call.

Post Likes
    Just got a comment from our engineering department on this question. You can end up with an over-sized flare if you advance the flaring feed screw too far. You should stop when the flare is formed against the mandrel and you feel a change in the feed screw resistance. If you go beyond this point, you will get a larger diameter flare with reduced copper thickness.

Post Likes
    So the answer is yes. Don't you think this is a flaw in the design?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jnsrose View Post
    So the answer is yes. Don't you think this is a flaw in the design?
    They mention this in the instructions. I suppose if they added a clutch it could be mitigated, but I'd like to think I can control my hands well enough to recognize the increased resistance.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    So I have this tool with a stop to tell me the height of the flare but I have to guess when to stop tightening. Just doesn't make much sense.

Post Likes
    Daikin makes a plastic go-no go flare gage, I use it no matter who made the flare tool. Less than $10 @ United and a must on mini split installs.

Post Likes
    It's difficult to add a clutch that works well on all copper sizes and all of the variables that you might run into, but there is a clutch on our 60295 flaring tool if you find that helpful.

Post Likes
    Invest in a better flaring tool, one with a clutch so it stops tightening when you've reached the right depth. Also, an orbital flaring device. Hilmor makes a decent one. Rothenberger too.