Post Likes

Furnace Extinguishing

1 week ago, another tech went to a No Heat call, saw that the Hot Surface Ignitor was cracked/ faulty. Next morning, I was told to put pick up the h.s.i. and install it. Swapped it in, bam done. Furnace fired up, no problems. I left.

She called back later that day, No Heat. I go back, and with the panel off, the furnace worked perfectly. Every single time. However with the panels back on, and the furnace closet door closed, the furnace goes out, takes maybe 10-45 seconds. They had put a foam gasket around the edge of the closet door. I figured the door is sealing, and the furnace isn't getting air. However it never did this before, for the last 20+ years.

They send another tech to check it out. Checked out the flue pipe, and the roof pop out and everything. Flue pipe was fine. Only when the door is shut, the flames go out.

What is causing this? Only other possible thing I can think of, is that the bottom panel for the blower was not perfectly sealed, and I sealed it?

Post Likes
    Kind of need more info.
    Furnace model number?
    Why is it going out?
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Dont have access to the model/serial right now, but an old Coleman furnace. 5 burners.
    I'm positive the burners extinguish due to lack or fresh air in the closet space.

Post Likes
    Natural draft?
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Recirculation of flue gas?

Post Likes
    Is there any soot on the burners?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Blake79 View Post
    Recirculation of flue gas?
    Very common. All the coleman unit that I've seen had concentric venting and the center exhaust tube rots out, causing recirc.
    If the flame lifts off the burner it's low on air.

Post Likes
    Get a piece of plexiglass, mount it,seal it and watch what happens.

Post Likes
    I've found mobile home furnaces floating out only to find a bucket covering the vent termination. And another with pieces of wood inside the vent. Also cap smashed down on another.

Post Likes
    Sound strangely familiar to one I had a couple year ago. A molenex wire connection had loosened, stretched and not all of the pin connectors stayed touching each other. When cover was left off the dumb thing fired and ran perfect every time. Put the cover on it failed every time. When the cover was on it pushed just enough on a wire bundle and an electrical connection was broken.

Check all wire connector and connections really well you may get lucky to just find a loose connection.

Good Luck

Post Likes
    Check and see if the filter is too restrictive and causing the high limit to trip.

Post Likes
    You say it goes out?

Whats it fail on? High limit? Rollout? Flame rectification?
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted