Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Loytec router questions

I've recently installed a loytec bacnet MSTP to IP router in hopes of passing peer to peer data from one mstp network to the other. I'm not able to make this happen?? The router works great if I'm passing data on the same network, but the peer refrence being on the mstp 2000 network and the peer reciepent being on the mstp 1000 network the binding doesn't work. Maybe I'm missing something in the setup of the router?? Anyhelp would be appreciated.

Post Likes
    What device is the other BACnet router? Are both the routers on the same BACnet/IP network? Are they both on the same IP subnet? Need more info to diagnose.

kontrol out
    "Good" - Jocko
    "Open is as open does." - Forrest Gump
    "Can't we all just get a Lon?" - Garry Jack
    "BACnet: integration or interrogation?" - The Janitor
    "Interoperability? You can't handle interoperability!" - Nathan R. Jessup
    “What’s that? Aaa… open protocols? Don’t talk about…. open protocols? Are you kidding me? Open protocols? I just hope we can hardwire an interface!” - Jim Mora Watch it here!

3. Likes stanbyyourword liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Both the Jace and the Loytec router are on the same subnet and IP network. I have limited experience with this ,and probably just missing something obvious. But for the sake of discussion let's take the Jace out of the equation. If I had two bacnet controllers one let's say mac address 4 device instance 1004 and it resides on MSTP network 1000 and is wires to port 1 of the loytec router. The other mac address 38 device instance 2038 and it resides on MSTP network 2000 and wires to port 2 of the loytec router. A peer master coming from MAC 38 on the 2000 network should be able to be passed via the router to a peer slave in MAC 4 on the 1000 network correct?? It works great with 2 controllers on the 1000 network.

Post Likes
    Shouldn't be a problem, have done it hundreds of times with numerous other BACnet brands. Just to confirm, the JACE is licensed as a server and client on BACnet/IP? Not sure what you mean by peer master and peer slave. Slaves can't initiate communications but can reply to any queries from master controllers. 99% of all controllers I see in BACnet are masters.

Not familiar with Loytec configuration, but they might have a way to block traffic. Are you sure that all the network interfaces are enabled? I'm sure BetterDuck and Orion will be along shortly to lend their expertise.

kontrol out
    "Good" - Jocko
    "Open is as open does." - Forrest Gump
    "Can't we all just get a Lon?" - Garry Jack
    "BACnet: integration or interrogation?" - The Janitor
    "Interoperability? You can't handle interoperability!" - Nathan R. Jessup
    “What’s that? Aaa… open protocols? Don’t talk about…. open protocols? Are you kidding me? Open protocols? I just hope we can hardwire an interface!” - Jim Mora Watch it here!

Post Likes
    I meant the peer master the one sending the network output to the peer slave the one receiving the network input. Or the peer recipient?? I can see what you mean about the peer slave terminology. This router has been kind of a test for me. I was hoping to keep certain bindings from being handled by the jace, but that may be the quickest at this point.

Post Likes
    You did not write which model of the L-IP you are using, but I guess this is an LIP-ME202C which what one IP port and two MSTP ports on one device. The two MSTP ports do no represent two independent MSTP networks but the purpose is to extend the number of physical device that reside on one network. You have to configured the MSTP node on port 1 in the same MSTP network like the one on MSTP port 2, then they will communicate with each other.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 709 View Post
    The two MSTP ports do no represent two independent MSTP networks but the purpose is to extend the number of physical device that reside on one network.
    So the "router" is only between mstp & IP ports and its a repeater between the mstp ports? Really?

Guess they went all IP and have no use for 485 slaves.

There are alot of options for commodity hardware like this. You chose poorly.
    Propagating the formula. http://www.noagendashow.com/

Post Likes
    WTF.

So the first hit on google is the useless sales page that has f all for info on the device, but has the "router" in the product description. No direct links to datasheet or really anything...(may be my ad / script block)

https://www.loytec.com/sales/quote-r...-me202c-detail

Second hit on googs is the pdf datasheet.

This sounds like a full feature router, above full really with the firewall options...yet it cannot route between mstp segments?? On a brief glance I see no mention of this limitation.

Really left scratching my head since their employees frequent this forum, yet little response to this thread while active on others....

Post Likes
    The model is the one 709 listed. We as a company, and me personally have just started messing with these. So my lack of knowledge with them is obvious, that being said I wasn't aware this thing was nothing more than a repeater on the MSTP side.

Post Likes
    Yep before I purchased this I read all the docs I could find. I didn't see in the anything that lead me to believe it was a repeater only for MSTP . You know like A side B side regarding ports?? I felt like I was buying something that would be two separate MSTP trunks. I think you might be right. I chose wrong!! It does have a nice display?? Since this one won't work what is everyone using in this application?? We've had a lot of jace issues, and using routers is one idea were playing with to possibly remove the jace all together.

Post Likes
    Maybe I'm lost in the weeds, not the first time.... More than willing to accept if that's the case...

The only concrete model number I saw was what 709 posted. Looking the model they posted up, if it cannot route between ports either I missing something or its a pretty deceptive datasheet.

Regardless, their EMPLOYEES frequent this forum and at a minimum I would think they privately reach out and point you in the right direction. If not, I would think hard about who I do business with.

Post Likes
    Think I'm in the same weeds?? Would have never purchased it, if I thought that was the case. Simple for me if it's not what were looking for buy something from someone else, and let other guys at the company know that. The buying process for it was a little painful anyways. I beleive moxa makes one?? And contemporary controls has one that looked good, but I thought the display and some configuration from the display was a plus for the loytec. Yep maybe chose wrong!!

Post Likes
    I was wrong. The LIP-ME202C and LIP-ME204C indeed is a separate router for each channel. You also see this in the web interface configuration, where you can (and have to) adjust individual network numbers for each BACnet MSTP port. So there you must put in the network numbers 1000 and 2000. Have you done this and rebooted the device after the change?

If yes, then the problem also can be on the side of the MSTP devices. When the device is not on the same channels it has to send out messages to find the router to the device (sequence of Who-Is, Who-is-router-to-network messages....). The L-IP has in integrated Wireshark-Logger, so you can log the network traffice on the MSTP channels and the IP channel and check the traffic with Wireshark. This gives you all the details you need to know in order to trouble shoot the problem.

A basic question: have you contacted Loytec sales before you purchased the product to find out if it has the features you need and have you contacted Loytec support to get help once you had issues? For me this would be the logical approach.

@orion242: I don't know what your personal problem is, but obviously you jumped in on my mistake and took the opportunity to start writing negative comments about a company. Have you ever used their products and made first-hand experience?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast