Post Likes

Lennox EL296 furnace rusting after less than four years

I have a Lennox EL296 gas furnace that has developed rust (when you take the front panel of its located in the corner of the unit near the motor, I can post images later. My installer says Lennox will cover the material costs but not labour. While I understand this is reasonable for parts that go through normal wear and tear I don't think I should have to pay for labour if this unit was not installed correctly. My basement is dry with no water leaks from outside sources in the four years the furnace has been in place. My last furnace ran for 20 years and had no rust. Thoughts? Advise?

Thanks,

John

Post Likes
    it's likely you have a condensation from the exhaust gas leak. Probably from the inducer to flue pipe coupling. They're known to loosen or be loose from the factory and most installers never check them.

3. Dislikes pepperidge disliked this post.
    Post Likes

Rusty Lennox furnance

Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    it's likely you have a condensation from the exhaust gas leak. Probably from the inducer to flue pipe coupling. They're known to loosen or be loose from the factory and most installers never check them.
    Thanks. So I take it this is NOT considered normal wear and tear.

John

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbug123 View Post

John
    In the first year, no. Afterwards, likely. It should be checked at each PM.

6. Dislikes pepperidge disliked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbug123 View Post

John
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    In the first year, no. Afterwards, likely. It should be checked at each PM.
    I would like to add...

In some cases, and not just on Lennox furnaces, I have been able to tighten hose clamps on transitions sometimes many full turns. On a new rubber coupling a substandard connection will be ok for a while - the rubber hasnt been used yet, it's smooth and flexible. The heating cycle causes expansion, contraction, and corrosive condensation. As the coupler moves the condensation gets in there. It makes abrasive crystals and also further degrades the rubber. The crystal deposits further push the joint open. Sooner or later there's an opening big enough that water can leak out of and cause damage elsewhere.

Post Likes
    I've seen several EL296s and SLP98s sweat at the intake pipe and cause rust on the burners and down on the gas valve. Have them check this as well. It may need a drain in the intake pipe.