Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mn the state where absolutey nothing is allowed
    Post Likes
    it is a coal conversion gravity. probably coal to manufatuctured to mixed to NG.

not a very fancy system as the pull lever for the barometric damper in the breech. folks with real money didnt go downstairs to adjust the draft. around here if you look closely you find pulleys in the joists and 2 holes in the basement ceiling under the kitchen. a chain would run from a lever in the kitchen and through the pulleys down to the draft dampers.

look at the gauge again. it is not a PSI gauge, it is an altitude gauge. the open expanision tank is 28 FEET above the boiler.

the black honeywell control is a strap on aquastat has a mercury bulb in it

very cool, keep those alive as long as possible. they can still be set up to attain 80% efficiency
    my boss thinks its possible to repeal the laws of physics

Post Likes
    That reminds me of a boiler I resurrected in Seattle last year. It was built during the 30's and the old burner was shot. I installed a new Economite and controls. It didn't use a pump like new boilers do. It just works off gravity and it worked very well. Maybe fix this one and give it a new paint job. Maybe it'll last another hundred years.

Post Likes
    Hand the wrenches at about 180º, hanging the come-a-long will droop the handles to about 170º, and taking the slack out of the cable and the jaws will take out another 10º. Then easily click the ratchet handle and you can apply 1500 lbs. of force - plus the 3' leverage advantage. Tough to do that with pull pipes.

PHM
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    I like it. So I take it the two wrenches would have to be about 170* apart to get the come-a-long between them ?
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

4. Likes VTP99 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ch4man View Post

look at the gauge again. it is not a PSI gauge, it is an altitude gauge. the open expansion tank is 28 FEET above the boiler.
    I'll be damned. I thought it meant calibrated for St. Louis altitude, as opposed to say...Denver or something.
    Is the Religious Right to blame for Christianity's decline?

They argued that, as the Religious Right became increasingly visible and militant, it became associated with Christianity itself. And if being a Christian meant being associated with the likes of Jerry Falwell, many people—especially political moderates and liberals—decided to simply stop identifying as Christians altogether.

http://www.theamericanconservative.c...nitys-decline/

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hurtinhvac View Post
    I'll be damned. I thought it meant calibrated for St. Louis altitude, as opposed to say...Denver or something.

Post Likes
    wow, i feel old now.

love working in the old part of town.

oldest boiler i worked on was a steamer that was assembled in the basmet of an old mansion around the city lakes
    was built in 1908, still functional. looked like a white rhino

Post Likes
    I missed that too. In fact; I don't think I have ever seen an altitude-only boiler pressure gauge before. All I can recall are pressure/altitude combination gauges on boilers.

It is funny that the black operating pressure indicator pointer is higher than the red safety-limit indicator pointer. <g>

I wonder if the ceilings is the house were high? Ten feet or so?

PHM
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by hurtinhvac View Post
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    if the open tank was abandoned and a compression or bladder tank installed, that 30 ft is only about 7 psi.

i have a hard time trusting gauges older than me as accurate

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    I missed that too. In fact; I don't think I have ever seen an altitude-only boiler pressure gauge before. All I can recall are pressure/altitude combination gauges on boilers.

It is funny that the black operating pressure indicator pointer is higher than the red safety-limit indicator pointer. <g>

I wonder if the ceilings is the house were high? Ten feet or so?

PHM
    -------
    Oh yeah, and three stories. Everything about the structure was old money large. The front door was nearly as large as a modern double door, but solid arched wood. The door bell had a taped on sign that said "knock loudly, door bell not loud." So I braced myself for the jolt of pain, selected my least arthritic hand on that particular day and applied more force than usual. Only to be met with a lame little "plink" before grabbing a nut driver.

That part of town is just north of where the 1904 world's fair was. Most of the homes in that area have the separate servants stair case by the kitchen; the real narrow one with wooden steps...after you've passed by the grand marble staircase in the foyer.

Within a mile or so of this area:

http://bigoldhouses.********.com/201...-st-louis.html

Getting a five or six system PM in one of these is an awesome trip back in time.

They argued that, as the Religious Right became increasingly visible and militant, it became associated with Christianity itself. And if being a Christian meant being associated with the likes of Jerry Falwell, many people—especially political moderates and liberals—decided to simply stop identifying as Christians altogether.

Post Likes
    The black line on the gauge is maybe the point where the water comes out of open tank to a pipe thru the roof. That is what i saw on those old systems like that, kinda a overfill indicator. Those were great systems, then the windows got changed, insulation was added, the new boilers had pumps on them and were sized the same as the old boiler. It was down hill from there.
    UA Local 32 retired as of Jan 2020

Post Likes
    I think the house was built around it
    That wouldn't be fun getting that up the basement stairs, they would probably break

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Likes VanMan812 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Took a lot of those out with sledgehammers and plastic taped around the walls. This was before abatement was needed, the scrap metal usually got 2 of us lunch. Carried the big pieces, but most went up and out in 5 gallon buckets.
    UA Local 32 retired as of Jan 2020

Post Likes
    I told her when the time comes, if it comes in our lifetime; to leave it sit and paint it. It's an antique piece of art.

16. Likes VanMan812 liked this post.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast