Thread: Dead Furnace Replacement

Post Likes

Dead Furnace Replacement

Got lucky with an old York system from 1988 (P3USD16N10501B), which had no problems until this week when it went kaput. Trying to decide what to buy and am concerned yet intrigued by a possibly unneeded upsell.

House: About 2000 sq/ft, basement is half finished, half unfinished (storage, laundry); located in Maryland near Washington, DC. Construction is cinder block and built in 1961. We have a Carrier a/c unit dating from 2003, which is working fine (fan is a bit out of balance due to a tree limb strike a few years ago, but other than noise, it has worked well).

So, one contractor proposes: Lennox ML180UH09E4813 (handwriting hard to read but I think that's it) with a humidifier. I asked about going with a two stage system and was told it is not necessary and won't add anything. Is that correct? I read they are more efficient and better with humidifiers due to longer running times.

The other contractor proposed either Carrier 59TN6A080V17--14 (96%) or Carrier 58CVA090---1--16 (80%) both with humidifiers. He also said that since he would have the labor on-site, he'd give a $1500 discount if we replace the a/c unit at the same time. Discount is versus doing both separately. A/C is Carrier 24VNA937A003.

1) I know the a/c is quite the upsell, but given the age of our current a/c unit, would you recommend it?
    2) Any quality difference between Lennox and Carrier? Have read differing opinions on Carrier.
    3) Does the whole Infinity system actually have a real benefit over just my regular Honeywell programmable thermostat from Home Depot?

I know this was a long read. Thanks!!

Post Likes
    With new systems you'll likely need ductwork modification to keep the static pressures in perspective. Are you financially ready for that add well?

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dweins View Post
    Got lucky with an old York system from 1988 (P3USD16N10501B), which had no problems until this week when it went kaput.

bla bla bla
    define "kaput". it may be relevant
    Nest is POO!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    define "kaput". it may be relevant
    Starting 2 days ago, the motor would run for several seconds before the heat would kick in. This went on until last night, when the motor kept cycling on an off every few seconds and whining, but the heat never came on. My wife thought she smelled burning, so we turned the system off completely. 3 different HVAC repair companies have told us that although we could repair it, it would be very expensive and not worth it for a system this old (fwiw, each of them had a different diagnosis for the problem, but they all agreed on the bottom line).

Post Likes
    sounds like you have sales techs wanting to sell you a system. but it could be true...
    Nest is POO!!

Post Likes
    (fwiw, each of them had a different diagnosis for the problem, but they all agreed on the bottom line).
    this is highly suspect
    Nest is POO!!

Post Likes
    First contractor to show you a full on system design with a heat loss and gain would be my guy and I'd replace both furnace and a/c at the same time. Make is not as real an issue as proper application of the equipment and the guy designing and installing the system. (and it IS a system, not just an assemblage of parts)

Post Likes
    While I agree with Juan you might have a hard time doing that. Unfortunately many folks find their selves in the same reactive vs proactive situation by waiting to replace a nearly 30 year old piece of equipment until it breaks down. It takes time to find a company that does things right .

With that said the Lennox ml line is the cheaply made stuff. More for folks who don't want to spend much because they're moving in a few years. The Lennox el296 is the next step up. It's a two stage 95℅+ eff furnace that's a lot better than the ml series.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Madera View Post
    First contractor to show you a full on system design with a heat loss and gain would be my guy and I'd replace both furnace and a/c at the same time. Make is not as real an issue as proper application of the equipment and the guy designing and installing the system. (and it IS a system, not just an assemblage of parts)
    this is highly suspect
    Not overly familiar with the Lennox, but looks like very good Carrier equipment.
    From the quick Internet search, the Lennox seems to be less sophisticated.

sounds like you have sales techs wanting to sell you a system. but it could be true...
    What they said!!!
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes

Thanks for all the input.

First, thanks to everyone for your thoughts.

Yes, the a/c unit is an upsell, but given it's age we decided to replace it. All three companies who gave bids said ductwork changes are minimal, just to make the unit fit the space. One said to go with an 80% furnace because the 90+ are less reliable, don't make a difference in comfort (just energy use), and you have to run pvc out the side of the house, which cannot be covered with a screen. We already get critters in the house, so we decided to go with 80% two stage. Still trying to decide Carrier vs Lennox.

Post Likes
    First, thanks to everyone for your thoughts.

Yes, the a/c unit is an upsell, but given it's age we decided to replace it. All three companies who gave bids said ductwork changes are minimal, just to make the unit fit the space. One said to go with an 80% furnace because the 90+ are less reliable, don't make a difference in comfort (just energy use), and you have to run pvc out the side of the house, which cannot be covered with a screen. We already get critters in the house, so we decided to go with 80% two stage. Still trying to decide Carrier vs Lennox.
    Highly recommend at least looking at a furnace with a variable speed motor, especially since you want a humidifier.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in