Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Commission This

Post Likes
    As of Friday afternoon when the site closed, nobody had touched the ceiling.......
    To hell with the saw, I'm thinking the oxy torch is a more appropriate tool to use here.
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rider77 View Post
    As of Friday afternoon when the site closed, nobody had touched the ceiling.......
    To hell with the saw, I'm thinking the oxy torch is a more appropriate tool to use here.
    I'm getten too old for this crap

Post Likes
    Many years ago we stumbled into a job similar to that. They had maybe two dozen split systems, and maybe about a half dozen had no access to the filters. Not really that new of a building, but they had certain areas that 'never' worked right. The job came by referral, they were told by another customer that we would tell them what was wrong.

It was a chiller / boiler system, otherwise they would have certainly lost some compressors.

The access to the filters was literally sheet rocked in. And the prior 'service' companies that had been out there apparently saw nothing wrong with that. We told them that walls needed to be cut and framed in proper with doors if they wanted to have any service on those units.

They balked at first, saying there must be another way, or too expensive, or too messy, or whatever else they could come up with. Can't remember all of the details, but the short story is we just said something like "now you know why those areas will never heat or cool".

Ironically, they did sign up for regular service agreement. But we'd note on the invoice that certain systems were unable to be serviced due to no access.

If memory serves, it took something like six or eight months for them to finally give approval to do something. I think I was only involved with the first one. I just told them I was going to make a big mess and to clear everything out of the way. It was actually quite painless, and went quick. Once they saw the plugged or sucked in filters etc, and got immediate results [heat/cool], they gave approval to do the others one by one.

Quote Originally Posted by rider77 View Post
    When I pointed it out to the site management nobody cared. So I literally went out, got my sawzall and inquired again with the sawzall in my hand. I said if I wasn't given access I'd have to create it myself.
    That got some attention, finally.

4. Likes ga-hvac-tech liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12