Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Take a new job for 6 dollars less hourly pay.

I know some of you techs may have came across a job opportunity that offered less pay but you where guaranteed to learn new skills. Did you accept the job that payed less but you where guaranteed to learn more. My issue is I'm a building engineer making 21 an hour but got offered a job at 15 starting as pm tech for a national hvac/r light commercial company. I was told that my skills are between a pm tech and a service tech. The manager did not feel confident in paying me more then 15 till I can prove my skills. What do you guys think? Please understand that it's true I'm not very experienced but I have good skills working on troubleshooting 5 ton and below systems.

Post Likes
    I guess you will need to show yours skills in a timely fashion. Does that quarantee a raise?

Post Likes
    Yes. If I can continue to prove that I have the skills to pm a system correctly and find any hidden issues then I will move up to becoming service tech within 90 days

Post Likes
    Along with a raise. However I did not ask how much they paid there service techs. The job posting said it was between 25-35 an hour

Post Likes
    Thats rough, hopefully they'll get you around what you use to make after you prove yourself. I like companies that offer flat rate pay, everyone makes the same and it's ultimately up to you how much you make.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Why didn't you want to stay in your field as a building engineer and build your value as an employee? Taking a $6/hour cut is rough, but if you want to learn more, that's great.

In my opinion, that's not the way you do it, but I suppose in your situation is different since building engineering doesn't necessarily translate as HVAC technician. Ideally, you want to increase your value as a technician. If you're good at what you do, you should get paid more for it. For example, I was going to go from residential to a large commercial company, they wanted to pay me $3/hour more than I was earning. Went to my boss to tell him bye, but he countered with $7/hour more, plus unlimited classes, paying me to get my licenses, and working with me to build my own company. Granted I'm not doing any more commercial work than I was doing before, but I'm earning a lot more while increasing my skillset in a different way.

Post Likes
    Although 15 seems slightly low for a pm tech it's not too far off. We all gotta start somewhere.

8. Likes doug1111, buttwheat liked this post
    Post Likes
    I never encourage someone to take a lower paying job. Bad planning or a weak economy cause Mechanics to work into their late 60s or even their 70s.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge using Tapatalk

10. Likes doug1111 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Do the math. $6 per hour less money is $240 per week- if everything worked out and they gave you the stars and the Moon raise- how much time would it take to get to the break-even point? If you like doing the HVAC work better so be it but it's going to cost you. No guarantees and all jobs are temporary. Best of luck please keep us informed

Post Likes
    Sounds like a risk, but you'll have the potential to earn a lot more than you are now. If the risk is worth it to you, then go for it.

13. Likes doug1111 liked this post
    Post Likes
    I would pass $15 an hours is fast food worker wages. Are you unhappy being a building engineer? How about moving to a critical environment engineer. Or better yet find your nearest UA local and get a nice union job? http://www.ua.org/locals We start 1st year apprentices at $24 plus full benefits. High wage, paid training, paid health care, paid retirement sounds good to me
    UA Proud

"Phfft! Facts. You can use them to prove anything." Homer Simpson

15. Likes CircusEnvy, valdelocc liked this post
    Post Likes
    What would happen if you left your present job,went to this company and for whatever reason it did not work out? Would you be able to find another building engineer job at the 21 per hour easily?

Could you find an experienced one man shop and ride with him on the weekend when he works on larger equipment so you gain experience?

How long until this new company bumps you up in pay and how much?
    I miss you mom and dad.

Post Likes
    "National light commercial " sounds like retail/rooftop jokey work, $15 an hour is a joke, tell him to shove it.
    There is not better place for the working men than the union! 100% UA the only HVAC union!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast