Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Company closure

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by doug1111 View Post
    Vehicles could get repoed with your tools in there. Your paycheck might not cash or clear the bank
    Quote Originally Posted by Core_d View Post
    Never been in that boat but, keep a close eye on your tools

Sent from my SM-G550T2 using Tapatalk
    If the vehicles get repoed...
    You may well NEVER see your tools again... without some legal expense.
    If it were me... I would be making a plan B...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

2. Likes acmanko, doug1111, CircusEnvy liked this post
    Post Likes
    Many years ago I worked at a place that was in trouble. When you went to get your paycheck on Friday, everybody raced to the bank to cash it. If you were not one of the early ones your paycheck might not go thru.
    I left before it hit bottom.

4. Likes doug1111 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Here is where I'm not sure what to do, company has several locations and they also own other businesses, same name just a separate entity. I have at one point or another worked at all of them and one in particular I know for a fact (beyond a shadow of a doubt) is doing extremely well. It relates to sheet metal fabrication and welding stainless steel. The only kicker is its 1 1/2 one way from home. I would hate to throw in the towel on the whole company if I could convince them to send me some fabrication work. Don't have experience dealing with management, I'm the type to just come in do my job to best of my ability and go home. Not sure how to approach them on keeping me busy. I'm concerned they would rather send me home early and save on payroll than have me help out fabrication shop.

Post Likes
    farm tech, your loyalty is admirable. However, it is one way. Don't for a second think that the company has even a first thought of how to keep you busy or employed. Business, due to competition, is by nature self serving.

If you can stomach a daily one and a half hour drive both ways, pursue it.

Otherwise as hurt said, it is better to get a job when you have a job. You will be more relaxed when you interview and make a better presentation of yourself and your skills.

If thinking was easy,
    everyone would do it!

Regarding Russian Roulette; five out of six players think it is a safe, enjoyable game!

"And I've been banned twice. What of it? If you aren't getting banned once every 3 years, you aren't trying." Brian8383

"it's actually 90 right now in this shaded area of satan's butthole." - HVAC_marc

“Don't believe signature quotes.” - George Washington

7. Likes VanMan812, ga-hvac-tech liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rcstl View Post
    farm tech, your loyalty is admirable. However, it is one way. Don't for a second think that the company has even a first thought of how to keep you busy or employed. Business, due to competition, is by nature self serving.

If you can stomach a daily one and a half hour drive both ways, pursue it.

Otherwise as hurt said, it is better to get a job when you have a job. You will be more relaxed when you interview and make a better presentation of yourself and your skills.
    Well said. Especially your last sentence.

I like to think of it in sports terms. How often do the best players on the best teams get traded? Never. As in never ever. But a bad team? Even the best players from those teams get traded all the time.

So if you play for a good team your usually safe. If you play for a bad team, look to play for a better one soon

Post Likes
    Run. Remember the saying it takes money to make money? When your company has trouble buying product to install they are running out of ways to make money. Your coworkers are you competition when the doors shut up you are going to be fighting those coworkers for jobs so get the jump on them and start looking. We are all mercenaries now.

10. Likes ga-hvac-tech liked this post
    Post Likes
    At one point in my life,. I worked for a company that was always iffy as far as their accounts payable. Because we were located 80 miles away from all of our supply houses and everything that we purchased was shipped to us, as their only service tech, I ordered all of my needed parts from the office staff and never communicated with the parts people. I was busy, very loyal to my boss, and just did my thing on a daily basis. One morning I rolled into the parking lot in my company truck, there were some guys in suits and ties, standing in the parking lot, and coming in and out of the office doors. This fellow walked out to greet me and his first question was whether the truck belonged to me or the company. I told him that it was the company's vehicle, but the tools belonged to me. He allowed me to take the truck back to my home and unload my tools and return the truck to the shop, where they locked up all of the vehicles, and office, put a notice on the door, and that was it. My policy from that point on has always been " I work for money,,if you want loyalty, buy a dog."
    One way to outthink people is to make them think you think. They'll think you're not really thinking what you're trying to get them to think you think...........

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by uniservice View Post
    At one point in my life,. I worked for a company that was always iffy as far as their accounts payable. Because we were located 80 miles away from all of our supply houses and everything that we purchased was shipped to us, as their only service tech, I ordered all of my needed parts from the office staff and never communicated with the parts people. I was busy, very loyal to my boss, and just did my thing on a daily basis. One morning I rolled into the parking lot in my company truck, there were some guys in suits and ties, standing in the parking lot, and coming in and out of the office doors. This fellow walked out to greet me and his first question was whether the truck belonged to me or the company. I told him that it was the company's vehicle, but the tools belonged to me. He allowed me to take the truck back to my home and unload my tools and return the truck to the shop, where they locked up all of the vehicles, and office, put a notice on the door, and that was it. My policy from that point on has always been " I work for money,,if you want loyalty, buy a dog."
    IMO you were very lucky...

The norm would have been to take the truck on the spot...
    And if you wanted your tools back; get a lawyer.
    Collection and liquidation companies are not always staffed with the most honest folks.

Something to think about: Going another step with Sooty's comment:
    If you start job-shopping now... you will have the pick of the crop.
    If you wait until the fan blades turn brown... as noted, your co-workers will be your competition.

If it were me... I would figure out a way to verify if the company was in trouble or not...
    See if you can ask a few questions around... maybe a trusted person at a supply house... etc...
    Would be a shame to jump ship on a co that was OK...
    And it would be a shame to go down with the ship.

Each of us has to learn to handle similar situations... it is called life....
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Post Likes
    This is probably an ARP comment... however since ARP is full of trolls and one cannot have a meaningful conversation there...

Each of us has to look out for ourselves:
    *The govt is not gonna...
    *The boss is not gonna...
    *And only a few trusted close friends will help...

It is a sad thing our country has lost its sense of community; replacing it with an unbridled sense of greed.

However until (if) the sense of greed goes down... one has to use some wisdom and not allow themselves to be taken advantage of.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Post Likes
    I have went through company branch closures twice.

The first company was a multi-national which I really enjoyed working for.

They treated me fairly well, pay was good (not top end though) benefits were not to bad;

they also put workers through E2, MicroTherm & other training.

I would catch myself asking; how are we making money, we are so disorganized,

this went on for three years & I don't have any management/business experience also didn't have access to financials.

I contacted HR & expressed my concerns, they knew there were issues but were trying

to get some other issues fixed first. Four months before the pin was pulled I mentioned again

that there were problems; got the...Oh, we are working on this then, going to move ahead on the next problem.

I advised them we will be closed before then.

My start date till the branch closed was 7 yrs, had a couple of short layoffs during that time;

they paid me 14 weeks of severance (2 weeks for every year of service) & gave us some job councilling.

Made sure I reminded HR about our discussion three years prior & told her what I thought about it.

HR's response was ...Well it is a little late now.

....My response to that comment was....Maybe you need to take this experience to your next job & start listening to

the front line employees as you & the office couldn't even see the writing on the wall.

I still miss working for that company & some of my co-workers.

The second branch closure.

Was working for a mechanical contractor that was fairly large in the city the were from;

they were looking to expand to the city that I am from, the service manager had a very good

reputation from what I had heard; wasn't planning on switching jobs but I did as the one I was with

at the time had a lot of unethical billing practices. So, with this company, there is just myself & a

co-worker, we had a major contract & some small contracts.

The company wanted to build but wasn't putting the time in to find new contracts & was relying on their

reputation in the other city which meant nothing to customers where I was.

I knew we would eventually lose the major contract as that customer uses another contractor almost exclusively,

after working at the large contract after 8 to 9 months very few repairs were being authorized & after 1 year it was

announced that they were switching to this other contactor; we stayed on for one more month.

As this company didn't have enough contracts to support the branch once the major contractor let us go, the branch closed.

We were advised that our work was good, communication was good but it was someones decision in higher management.

Also enjoyed working for this company.

Usually a lot of front line workers can tell if a company is being run reasonably well, although it may take a few years

for the branch to close or there to be changes.

Post Likes
    A large Chevy dealer in my area closed. The employees were s*** out of luck. The owner end up going to prison.

Post Likes
    What was he convicted of?

Was it related to why the dealership closed?

Quote Originally Posted by doug1111 View Post
    A large Chevy dealer in my area closed. The employees were s*** out of luck. The owner end up going to prison.

17. Likes doug1111 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    What was he convicted of?

Was it related to why the dealership closed?
    The owner was not paying off the debit/ lien on the cars that were traded in.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast