+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I'm going to kill this plumber

Post Likes
    Yes... anything down stream of the meter... belongs to the home owner and is their responsibility.

I am thankful I am far enough south... we do not have extreme cold to freeze pipes.

In GA (state)... it is against code to run a water pipe in the attic or any outside wall...
    Which IMO is a good code!
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

2. Likes Unlimited1 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pctech View Post
    last i knew from the street meter to the water company shut off it its problem to fix not yours.
    Yours would be from the start of the pipe to your home and inside it
    I have almost an acre and the water shutoff is before and after the inground water meter..Its 10’ away from the street..I had water coming up in my front lawn 90’ in but I caught it in time, the tree roots had enough pressure on it to crack one of the Schedule 40 thin wall pvc connections..

Interestingly enough the water was coming up 2-1/2’. Feet away from the break..it was an exhausting 2 hour dig just to find it. Lots of roots to go through with my sawzall blade..it was a good 16” deep in the ground..it took an additional 3 hours of digging to go 6’ in length before all the roots was gone..1 root was formed 3/4 of the was around it...

I cut that section out because I was using my sawzall around it and know I nicked it in 2 other spots accidentally ..2 couplers and 6’ of 3/4” schedule 80 Went in..

I removed about 120 lbs of roots With the dirt washed out of it and put it in my firepit..Obviously I had to add more soil to The dig site...

Initially I was going to have a plumber do it (feeling Lazy) got 3 quotes..the cheapest was $1,500 to search and fix it..Running a new line and abandoning the old was at $4,200.00 flock that! .I found the time to do it myself! And cost a whopping $6.50, And 5 hours of my time( so I’m still way less than 1/2 my lowest quote) ...lol I already had the primer and glue from other projects/ repairs...At least I know it’s done the right way...

4. Likes ga-hvac-tech liked this post.
    Post Likes
    i job you wont ever forget

Post Likes
    I had to do the first 2 ft of water line after the meter... in the Spring of 2020...
    Someone had used a short piece of pex and a sharkbite fitting...
    Burying a sharkbite... without wrapping it in water-tite tape...
    The fitting corrodes and fails.

Replaced with PVC... all is good.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    Your own fault - you should have kept the garage heated. <g>
    ----------------
    Quote Originally Posted by jbhenergy View Post
    I don't know who in there right mind thought it was a good idea to run the main cold, hot supply, and hot return in the attic, but the dude should not exist anymore. These lines are wrapped in 1" pipe insulation, covered with blow in, then cover in r19 batts butt yet this happens.

Thank god it's in my garage and not the living area. Well maybe I wish was in the kitchen. Last year it was the hot this year the cold. And we have been running water all day long too.

Happy fricken Sunday to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    Post Likes
    Mine was repaired the wrong way. <g>

Water meter in the house so the small spring that suddenly appeared didn't concern me all that much. Later in the Screaming Busy summer time (of course! <g>) the 'spring water' started to run down the driveway like a small creek. <g> All my plumber friends left me hanging and I think the quote-from-a stranger I got was about $5K to replace the water service.

The stream got bigger and bigger until one Sat. I rented a backhoe and started digging. Down about 4-5 feet I found that the supply line in from the street was 1/2" galvanized. Found the pinhole leak but the curb-stop wouldn't close tight. I felt back towards the street until the pipe wasn't pitted and sawed it off there. Handed threaded it with a 24" hold-back before the water got up to my waist. Slapped on some old gate valve I had in the truck to stop the water and bailed out the hole with the backhoe bucket. Then I put a female adapter on the 1/2" galvanized stub pipe in the basement and pulled 7/8" L copper out into the hole with a chain tied to the old galvanized and pulled by the hoe. A male adapter to the old gate valve and for a new ball valve in the basement and I called it close-enough to fill in the hole.

In the basement I carefully obscured the L markings and piped the meter back in textbook style. It still makes me smile thinking about some future somebody finding that buried gate valve, the L copper, and also that half of the supply line is still 100 year old galvanized pipe. <g> Maybe it will show up here on the Plumbing Wall Of Shame. <g>

Sold the house and left no traces to connect me to the crime scene - so I'm pretty safe I think. <g>

PHM
    --------------

Quote Originally Posted by Unlimited1 View Post
    I have almost an acre and the water shutoff is before and after the inground water meter..Its 10’ away from the street..I had water coming up in my front lawn 90’ in but I caught it in time, the tree roots had enough pressure on it to crack one of the Schedule 40 thin wall pvc connections..

Interestingly enough the water was coming up 2-1/2’. Feet away from the break..it was an exhausting 2 hour dig just to find it. Lots of roots to go through with my sawzall blade..it was a good 16” deep in the ground..it took an additional 3 hours of digging to go 6’ in length before all the roots was gone..1 root was formed 3/4 of the was around it...

I cut that section out because I was using my sawzall around it and know I nicked it in 2 other spots accidentally ..2 couplers and 6’ of 3/4” schedule 80 Went in..

I removed about 120 lbs of roots With the dirt washed out of it and put it in my firepit..Obviously I had to add more soil to The dig site...

Initially I was going to have a plumber do it (feeling Lazy) got 3 quotes..the cheapest was $1,500 to search and fix it..Running a new line and abandoning the old was at $4,200.00 flock that! .I found the time to do it myself! And cost a whopping $6.50, And 5 hours of my time( so I’m still way less than 1/2 my lowest quote) ...lol I already had the primer and glue from other projects/ repairs...At least I know it’s done the right way...
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    unless that person reads this message bord

Post Likes
    How funny would that be? <g>

Damn; I read about this crap years ago and . . . . here it is!!!

I guess it's like planting an oak tree. You will never live to see it full size - but you plant it anyway; because you know that somebody will. I leave money and notes inside of house walls whenever I can. I attach them, in an envelope, to the sides of wall studs. I'll never see the finder's face - but I sure do like imagining it.
    ------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by pctech View Post
    unless that person reads this message bord
    PHM
    --------

11. Likes Juan Madera liked this post.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in