Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Likes

Plumber causes major damage to apartment

I don't know if you guys have seen this yet, but holy crap what a moron! Apparently, the landlord didn't want to pay a fee to shut the water off, which I assume would shut water off to the whole apartment complex, but if the client refuses a crucial fee like that, you walk away.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=4b1_1483233942

2. Likes billg, BBeerme liked this post
    Post Likes
    Shouldnt each apt. Have a water shutoff?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Likes cehs liked this post
    Post Likes
    He should break for lunch, seems the lady of the house has that water under control. I really like how he starts to close the door on the water.
    It's not what you're capable of doing that defines you, it's what you do on a daily basis.

6. Likes CircusEnvy, johoff34 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by billg View Post
    He should break for lunch, seems the lady of the house has that water under control. I really like how he starts to close the door on the water.
    Guess he never learned the old bread trick?

8. Likes baby b, tmt, rcstl liked this post
    Post Likes
    Maybe best to pull out the fruit cake on that one, it's consistently is better suited for high pressure work.

Quote Originally Posted by CircusEnvy View Post
    Guess he never learned the old bread trick?
    It's not what you're capable of doing that defines you, it's what you do on a daily basis.

10. Likes ckartson, CircusEnvy, HVAC_Marc, baby b liked this post
    Post Likes
    Bissel should use this video to promote their carpet cleaners.
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486

12. Likes johoff34, davidj001 liked this post
    Post Likes
    That will learn em .

Sent from the van with the a/c on.
    Sent from the van with the a/c on.

14. Likes jbhenergy, CircusEnvy, Core_d liked this post
    Post Likes
    In the building i lived in each apartment has its own shut offs for cold the water heaters have shut offs for both the cold and hot lines

Post Likes
    Went into an apartment the other day that had the cold water return from the heater upstream of the apartment shutoff. Had to call a plumber to turn off the water. Some really old Apartments don't have shut-off valves that work. Maybe that was the problem with this place. Looks like it hurt too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    There is a way to do that job without turning off the main . . .

You need to open every faucet in the building, reduce the water pressure to near zero. I've done it before and it works pretty good.

18. Likes VTP99, mr.charles, Wheelbaron liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    There is a way to do that job without turning off the main . . .

You need to open every faucet in the building, reduce the water pressure to near zero. I've done it before and it works pretty good.
    I once helped on a water clean up job at an old building in Seattle where the plumber tried that. He tried to replace the angle stop under the kitchen sink but couldn't get the new one to screw on. It caused so much water damage to the 3 floors below that dozens of people had to move out.

The only conditions that I would consider this kind of procedure would be if I needed to replace a valve that wasn't in a location that could hurt anything like a basement area. That's just me.

20. Likes ckelley3 liked this post
    Post Likes
    I've never been brave enough to try this when shutting the water isn't possible but what about cutting the pipe and sliding an OPEN Sharkbite valve over the end of the pipe then closing it? It would be messy but but maybe not THAT messy

22. Likes VTP99, mr.charles, Wheelbaron liked this post
    Post Likes
    After you open EVERY faucet in the building, you need to look at the flow out of the faucet you will be working on. If the flow is not low enough, then you do not do the repair.

If you have a multi story building, you may actually get a vacuum on the top floors. And conversely, if on the bottom floors, you may not be able to reduce the flow until the floors above have drained.

Quote Originally Posted by James Colver View Post
    I once helped on a water clean up job at an old building in Seattle where the plumber tried that. He tried to replace the angle stop under the kitchen sink but couldn't get the new one to screw on. It caused so much water damage to the 3 floors below that dozens of people had to move out.

The only conditions that I would consider this kind of procedure would be if I needed to replace a valve that wasn't in a location that could hurt anything like a basement area. That's just me.

24. Likes Core_d liked this post
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast