Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good socket set

Post Likes

Good socket set

Can anyone recommend a decent socket set that includes a sturdy and durable carrying case? The case is almost as important as the tools, hate the cheaper ones that flop open and spill your sockets everywhere. Been looking at SK and gear wrench....have a craftsman set now that I'm not super fond of. Any suggestions would be appreciated.....

Post Likes
    I have began to invest in the Wera Zyklop socket sets. They are definitely exceptional quality with buttery smooth motion, nice tight clearances and the case is very nice as well. Not cheap however so you may want to get them in stages.

https://www.amazon.com/Wera-Zyklop-8...ds=wera+zyklop

The German's certainly know how to make a ratchet.

Post Likes
    Gearwrench is a really good value imo and is what I use personally. I haven't tried wera sockets but I love their screwdrivers.

SK tools make snap on/mac tools, so that would be the "best" you could get.

Post Likes
    You had me at "buttery smooth". About three years ago I had a pretty good selection of sockets. My now 3 year son loves to help dad and he needs to fix anything with wheels. My brother and I now know why our dad would get to mad when we used his tools and didn't put them back. So I'm also looking to purchase more socket sets.

Post Likes
    Get the SK. They are Tool Truck Quality at 1/4 of the Price. Made in U.S.A. Gearwrench is Imported and not near the same Quality. In 1973 I bought my first good socket set SK and I still have it. Also check out URREA tools on Amazon or Home Depot.com. I just bought a socket set from them on Amazon and it came in an old school metal box. Amazon also sells just the metal boxes. The Urrea tools are made with USA steel and they used to be called Protomex. From 1963 to 1984 they were a division of PROTO (one of the largest INDUSTRIAL TOOL COMPANIES IN AMERICA).
    Challenge yourself, take the CM test --- Certificate Member since 2004 ---Join RSES ---the HVAC/R training authority ---www.rses.org

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Servicerunner View Post
    Can anyone recommend a decent socket set that includes a sturdy and durable carrying case? The case is almost as important as the tools, hate the cheaper ones that flop open and spill your sockets everywhere. Been looking at SK and gear wrench....have a craftsman set now that I'm not super fond of. Any suggestions would be appreciated.....
    I've been using a Kobalt set I got from Lowes 7 years ago. It works just fine and the price was great.

Post Likes
    I would just go out and buy a good quality tool box then stock it as you need to.

The one I use for sockets is low profile. Meaning, it's maybe 3" high, 5" wide, and 14" long. Or something like that. Got it decades ago, before I was in this trade, think it's a Craftsman product. Doesn't mean they'll still be carrying it.

Post Likes
    Westwood from Grainger makes many size steel boxes, not too pricey.
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    I would just go out and buy a good quality tool box then stock it as you need to.

The one I use for sockets is low profile. Meaning, it's maybe 3" high, 5" wide, and 14" long. Or something like that. Got it decades ago, before I was in this trade, think it's a Craftsman product. Doesn't mean they'll still be carrying it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Servicerunner View Post
    The case is almost as important as the tools, hate the cheaper ones that flop open and spill your sockets everywhere.....
    Many decades ago, I acquired one of those metal cases.

My solution was to put a yellow wire nut in the 9/16" socket & bend down the pivoting flat bar so it makes spring pressure on that wire nut.

3/8"-3/4" 3/8" sockets in a very compact form.
    Lives in one of the pockets in my backpack along with a wrench, couple of extensions & a 9/16" deep socket.
    Eric

Post Likes
    S-K when zoro tools has 30 percent off.

Post Likes
    I've got a 1/2" Proto Blackhawk set that I've absoloutley beaten to death and still works like a charm. The case is blowmolded and hold everything in place neatly.

Post Likes
    The primary function of the design engineer is to make things difficult for the fabricator and impossible for the serviceman.

Post Likes
    SK is nice stuff, but I don't really like the ratchets.

As my old craftsman and husky stuff is wearing out, I've been replacing the sockets with Wright and JH Williams. The ratchets are getting replaced with Proto and Snap on. (I buy the snap on used and rebuild them with OEM kits from E-Bay).
    It Is What It Is

Post Likes
    Get rid of the ratchets. Try the M18 Milwaukee rt angle impact.
    Quote Originally Posted by bustawrench1 View Post
    SK is nice stuff, but I don't really like the ratchets.

As my old craftsman and husky stuff is wearing out, I've been replacing the sockets with Wright and JH Williams. The ratchets are getting replaced with Proto and Snap on. (I buy the snap on used and rebuild them with OEM kits from E-Bay).

15. Likes Timber liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Another vote for Blackhawk, this is what use most of the time, Grainger will honor the lifetime warranty if you break a socket https://www.amazon.com/Blackhawk-Pro.../dp/B000R8EG8C
    There is not better place for the working men than the union! 100% UA the only HVAC union!

Post Likes
    My brother and I both carry the 3/8" drive kit from advance. Cheap and works great, plus lifetime warranty at any advance auto parts.

Post Likes
    Oldie but still great:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    pecmsg, what you use sockets that large for? Most I use are 1/2" and maybe an occasional 9/16" in residential.

Paulbee Guest
    Ideal bought S K a few years back. They built a new factory in Illinois, hired American Workers, and made a commitment to only use American Steel and NOT to import any of their tools. In their catalog it says "If it says S K it is made in America PERIOD.

21. Likes Core_d, heatingman liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Cool.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast