+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Good socket set

Post Likes
    I just lost a 1/4 inch socket set, not a big deal, but I had to replace it.Went to Lowes.They are caring Craftsman now.I swear the craftsman that Lowes has,Is not the same.To prove my point I went to an old time hardware store and bought the same 1/4 inch set that I lost.They still had old stock.Yes ,different ,better socket set. It is so sad to see what tools have become.Now I just read(on this site)that SK has been sold.What good sockets and wrenches are still around.I know Proto is pretty good, not sure who sells it now.Snap on is good, but you have to catch the Snap on guy/They are also pricey.I have a Snap on set, it is 30years old.The Snap ons stay in the house.Craftsman is good enough in the field.What other good brands do you guys buy. I do like Gear wrench,Great ratchet wrenches,and pretty much available.I think Johnstone supply even has them,Not sure.

Post Likes
    Well things might be looking up.
    http://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore...pen-major.html
    Stanley bought the Craftsman name and is committing over 1 million square feet and 500 people to build tools in the Fort Worth area.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Gleng View Post
    I just lost a 1/4 inch socket set, not a big deal, but I had to replace it.Went to Lowes.They are caring Craftsman now.I swear the craftsman that Lowes has,Is not the same.To prove my point I went to an old time hardware store and bought the same 1/4 inch set that I lost.They still had old stock.Yes ,different ,better socket set. It is so sad to see what tools have become.Now I just read(on this site)that SK has been sold.What good sockets and wrenches are still around.I know Proto is pretty good, not sure who sells it now.Snap on is good, but you have to catch the Snap on guy/They are also pricey.I have a Snap on set, it is 30years old.The Snap ons stay in the house.Craftsman is good enough in the field.What other good brands do you guys buy. I do like Gear wrench,Great ratchet wrenches,and pretty much available.I think Johnstone supply even has them,Not sure.
    I have alot of Snap-On. My wife worked there and got me a nice discount. Even at her price some of the stuff I bought was still 5x the cost of some imports. They stay in my garage unless I know I will need a specific tool that day.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    good to see that Craftsman is opening a new plant in Dallas.They have everything to gain,If they make good tools.Everything to loose if they don't.Hopefully they will take a look at the way craftsman tools were made in 1970.

5. Likes under pressure liked this post.
    Post Likes
    good to see that Craftsman is opening a new plant in Dallas.They have everything to gain,If they make good tools.Everything to loose if they don't.Hopefully they will take a look at the way craftsman tools were made in 1970.
    This is quite interesting Gleng, as Craftsman Never Made a Tool in their entire existence ! Craftsman tools were made by various tool makers such as Western Forge Tool Company, out of Colorado, and the bulk are now made in "Ping-Pong-Phew China", or some such other China Providence.!

7. Likes Core_d, heatingman liked this post.
    Post Likes

By Cracky, You are Correct Gleng, but then again, you knew that all along, Right?. Lol. I'm "VERY HAPPY" they will be hiring 500 workers, no matter what they will produce. Thanks for Sharing this.

PS: I just hope this in some way, makes up for the up yours , in any previous postings. LMAO.."Have a Great Day", and may "God Bless America" !

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/lo...1-13bcd3b518dd
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    A good socket set will help you confidently tackle motoring DIY jobs. We put 10 to the test.

Post Likes
    All tool manufacturers just like HVAC manufacturers had to cheapen the product to remain cost competative.

My comment comes from working with my hands for more than 50 years. The socket set I use on the HVAC job is one I assembled years ago, it is 1/4" Carftsman 1980's vintage. SAE & Metric, short and deep, smallest to 9/16 or 15MM, 6 point and 12 point, with swivel sockets, about 6 various extentions, 2 ratchets, a nut driver handle with 1/4" slot on the top of the handle for a ratchet, all in a blow molded case. For me it needs to be a plastic case, far more weather resistant that the metal cases. In the 30 plus years I've been using them I have had to repair both ratchets a couple times. I have rounded out 3 or 4 sockets and had to replace several others due to dropping them and not finding them. I use these every day. They have more than paid for themselves.

As for tools in general (sockets sets) I'm partial to Craftsman (V series, raised panel, forged in USA). Never really liked the feel of proto, Liked the smooth polished snap-on but found the craftsman to be as durable and cost less. besides I like being able to walk into any Sears store and get another or replacement tool almost anytime day or night (can't do that now). You just can't pick up Snap-on, Williams, SK you have to go to the tool stoore. I find Kobalt to be a pretty fair tool. Recently tried to get a couple replacements and was shocked by how much the tool market with respect to quality & availability (Sets or singles) that are just no longer worth purchasing. I have a minimum of two of about anything from 1/4" to 1" drive hand and impact rated. I have a mild tool OCD while I may buy them one piece at a time I want them to be the same brand and have a whole set.

I have used all brands, and I do have other brands in my tool bopxes but dollar for dollar and reliability & availability I have not found anything that has done better for me than craftsman. I have let it be known I am retiring, the guys I work with are trying to convince me I need to have a "guy's" garage sale. Not sure I'm ready for that yet!

In a kitchen with my head stuck in an oven
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Answer-Man View Post
    I have used all brands, and I do have other brands in my tool bopxes but dollar for dollar and reliability & availability I have not found anything that has done better for me than craftsman. I have let it be known I am retiring, the guys I work with are trying to convince me I need to have a "guy's" garage sale. Not sure I'm ready for that yet!
    I'm with you there, but ALL the Sears within Nashivlle TN are gone now. I always loved the row-after-row of tools they had. From tool boxes to pocket tools, I've bought them all.
    I haven't yet looked at what Lowe's or Ace Hardware has to offer for Craftsman tools, but I'm guessing it's not NEARLY the selection that Sears had.

Post Likes
    Proto is available from Grainger, never had any problem with them. As far as tool boxes. If any of you remember the Kennedy tool boxes years ago, that tool box is Homak today from Northern Tools, very good tool boxes. Craftsman, and all the others are today's version of big box stores tools. I will not buy any tools from the ........freight store. SK tools back in the day were the best thing out there. I still have a set of 1979 Bonney 1/2 drive socket in a plastic case. Original except for one lost socket and they are still top performance. Bonney was sold by J.C. Penny as a competitor to Sears. My method was to buy the smaller tool bags and kit a bag for 3/8 and another bag for 1/2 drive. I would use tool bags from most any source as they get worn out anyway. I put all my sockets on those socket clip rails so that i could quickly see if i was missing anything at job completion. I kept all of my larger and specialty stuff in a Homak tool box. The idea of storing sockets on a strand of wire works. I used all thread rod with washers and wing nuts also.

Post Likes
    FYI all husky products have the no questions asked lifetime guarantee the craftsman use to. Never tried there sockets but ive hade a couple of ratcheting wrenches for years now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Core_d View Post
    FYI all husky products have the no questions asked lifetime guarantee the craftsman use to. Never tried there sockets but ive hade a couple of ratcheting wrenches for years now.

I had/have some of the original husky ratcheting open end wrenches probably 10-12 hrs old. Recently lost a 9/16”. Of course they would just give me what they just have now currently. Not close to the quality of the original ones. I just bought a set of proto I beam style. Off set, with the switch for forward and reverse. I don’t like the flat ones you flip over. Love them so far. They were $280 from zoro. Found a 20% off, paid just under $250. Made in Texas.

15. Likes Core_d liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalman0880 View Post
    I had/have some of the original husky ratcheting open end wrenches probably 10-12 hrs old. Recently lost a 9/16”. Of course they would just give me what they just have now currently. Not close to the quality of the original ones. I just bought a set of proto I beam style. Off set, with the switch for forward and reverse. I don’t like the flat ones you flip over. Love them so far. They were $280 from zoro. Found a 20% off, paid just under $250. Made in Texas.

10-12 hrs old......

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Core_d View Post
    10-12 hrs old......

Years

Post Likes
    I still drive by the plant where Craftsman tool boxes were made, back in the 90's anyway. Waterloo Industries on Ansborough Ave. When I first started in the trade we did AC and chiller work there.

Then they moved production on most items to Missouri, only manufacturing the largest roll-a-ways here. Shortly after they closed the plant totally.

Post Likes
    Not a socket set, But used to have a set similar to these in box end that I had clipped to my bag.
    cant find them anymore though. They sure came in handy at times.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in