+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Truck Tool box

Post Likes

Truck Tool box

What tool boxes does everyone have in your service van? I was looking at Ridgid's Professional tool storage system. This is a stackable toolbox in home depot, seems like a good idea. I also have been considering installing a tool chest minus the wheels. I always like to see what other techs are doing to store their tools.

Post Likes
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Stanley-P...wl13=1&veh=sem

I'm using a z71 right now. Folded up the back seats, took the wheels off, secured the top to the bottom with a bunch of screews, then used some large sip ties to hold the whole thing down. Works surprisingly well. The passenger seat pushes back just right to keep the drawers from opening.

EDIT: I put some 2x4s or something underneath(with screws) to make it more stable.

Post Likes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    nice little box for your pick up.

Post Likes
    i like the tool chest in the back of the van. Is it up on wheels? I can't tell from the photo. i see you even have a ridgid stackable box. I was looking at those yet they are heavy boxes empty.

Post Likes
    The tool box is on 4x4's. just so pipe etc can be slid under it. The rigid box is for my appion stuff. Keeps it all clean and in one place.

Post Likes
    Did you bolt it down or just put it on the 4x4. I just picked up a tool chest and want to install it into my van. I was thinking of bolting down 2x4 and then bolting the bottom chest to the 2x4. Then I want to strap the top part of the chest to the partition. I will carry what I need in my service bag, still have a copper box and a generator tool box. I have lots of tools that i barely use yet need, and want to organize.

Post Likes
    It's bolted to the cross members on the front of the box. This is a cab and chassis truck with an enclosed service body.

Post Likes
    Has anyone ever gone the custom route for storage? And feedback on whether it was worth it? Either self fab or from a shop?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_hammer View Post
    Has anyone ever gone the custom route for storage? And feedback on whether it was worth it? Either self fab or from a shop?
    You mean for van shelves?

Yes, very well worth it. Every van up until this one I have gutted the factory made shelves and made my own. You build it to the size you need. Much easier to organize.

I did not go the total custom route on this van, as the shelving was Knack and is very stout, but I did modify quite a bit.

As far as making a tool box, with drawers and the whole shot - probably not worth the effort.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by heatingman View Post
    You mean for van shelves?

Yes, very well worth it. Every van up until this one I have gutted the factory made shelves and made my own. You build it to the size you need. Much easier to organize.

I did not go the total custom route on this van, as the shelving was Knack and is very stout, but I did modify quite a bit.

As far as making a tool box, with drawers and the whole shot - probably not worth the effort.

Great thanks for the information. I was wondering if anyone had utilized any 3rd party solutions that might provide custom work such as Highway Products (not sure if they do or not). DIY certainly makes sense and seems worth it, but there is a time cost to everything.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_hammer View Post
    Great thanks for the information. I was wondering if anyone had utilized any 3rd party solutions that might provide custom work such as Highway Products (not sure if they do or not). DIY certainly makes sense and seems worth it, but there is a time cost to everything.
    Well for a days labor or 2 and 300 bucks material, during a slow weekend, I find it well worth it.

Slotted angle iron and 7/8 unistrut for the framing, and plywood or OSB for the actual shelves.

With a little ingenuity, you can actually contour to the vans walls and utilize the full depth of the shelves, as opposed to the factory shelves that leave 4” of void space between the van wall and the shelf frame.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by heatingman View Post
    Well for a days labor or 2 and 300 bucks material, during a slow weekend, I find it well worth it.

Slotted angle iron and 7/8 unistrut for the framing, and plywood or OSB for the actual shelves.

With a little ingenuity, you can actually contour to the vans walls and utilize the full depth of the shelves, as opposed to the factory shelves that leave 4” of void space between the van wall and the shelf frame.

Yeah I'm with you. Makes sense and that's a good idea on the contouring. Thanks again, appreciate it.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in