Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Honeywell Thermostat RTH2510

Hi,
    I hope I can get the benefit of your experience on this one please? We are renting a home which has forced air heating (We are from the UK and are used to Central Heating but moved to the US in Jan of this year) and it has a Honeywell Thermostat RTH2510 on the wall for us to control it with however I am seeing behaviour which I am not expecting.

The unit is configured to be Wake at 6:30 at 66F and then Leave at 8:30 at 68F and then Return at 17:30 at 68F and Sleep at 22:15 at 66F with the Fan Switch set to Auto and the system set to Heat.

This to me means the fan and the heating should only be on during these hours and only to maintain the temperatures set, correct?

However we are seeing the fans and heating being pumped at all times of the day which is resulting in a massive drop in air quality with it being extremely dry throughout the day and night. We noticed this even more recently as we have been away for a couple of weeks yet our energy bill is the same as a normal month plus when I've been up during the early hours with our little boy (suffering with Jet Lag ) I've noticed the heat coming on at 3:10 am for example.

Before I report this to my landlord I wanted to make sure I genuinely have an issue and that I haven't set something up wrong?

Thanks

Andrew

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From 22:15 until 8:30, your unit will try to maintain 66 degrees.
    From 8:30 until 22:15, your unit will try to maintain 68 degrees

If at ANY time, the thermostat is not satisfied (isn't maintaining the minimum set point of either 66 or 68), your unit will come on until the heat setting is satisfied.

3. Likes apwestgarth liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I have to manually tell it not to heat the house by manually turning it off - that seems ridiculous.

I'm happy for the temp to drop when we're not in the house or sleeping - this must be a US thing as back home you set the thermostat for twice a day and leave it at that.

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by apwestgarth View Post
    So I have to manually tell it not to heat the house by manually turning it off - that seems ridiculous.

obviously you are not comprehending. Your thermostat tells the system to heat and it does up to 68 or 66 depending on the time of day.

I'm happy for the temp to drop when we're not in the house or sleeping - this must be a US thing as back home you set the thermostat for twice a day and leave it at that.
    The same thermostat is probably available in both countries. Figure out how to use the thermostat or complain to the landlord to put in a dumb stat ( 1 temp all day)
    I wish I had a $1.00 for every response I deleted.....

"Decidedly Superior in a twisted pathetic way".....

6. Likes apwestgarth liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok my apologies to you both. I was missing something in my understanding. I've worked it through with a colleague. Who clarified what you both were saying. In order to get the system to "switch off" while out or asleep we need to set the value to say 60F or maybe a bit lower as that will be maintained.

My understanding was skewed by the fact back home we set the thermostat to a temperature and then set the timer to only switch the heating on during set times - the system does not maintain temperature outside of those times unless the system is set to be always on.

Once again thanks for your input and my apologies.

8. Likes ziggyhere liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I kinda understood what you were asking. I was trying to explain how the stat would work as you had it set up. I probably could have gone into a little more detail as to what you could do to achieve what you what you were trying. It seems like you get it and understand that if the thermostat is on - it is on. And you just have to play with the set temps. It will not shut the unit off.

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had a play with it last night and set the Leave and Sleep to 58F and noticed it was much colder this morning when we woke as the temp had only dropped to 59F Evidence the new settings worked though.

Humidity is still at 30% so still need to work on trying to maintain between 40-60% but that's another challenge

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by apwestgarth View Post
    Had a play with it last night and set the Leave and Sleep to 58F and noticed it was much colder this morning when we woke as the temp had only dropped to 59F Evidence the new settings worked though.

Humidity is still at 30% so still need to work on trying to maintain between 40-60% but that's another challenge
    That is a challenge for the summer 40-60
    Challenge in the winter is 30-35
    I wish I had a $1.00 for every response I deleted.....

"Decidedly Superior in a twisted pathetic way".....