Post Likes

Impact wrench socket sizes

I have searched this site, and could not easily find an answer for this, so I'm hoping this thread could be the go to for shedding light on impact sockets for our trade. I just pulled the trigger on the high torque impact wrench set, pictured here:
    http://www.dewalt.com/en-us/products...-50ah/dcf899p2
    It feels great in the hand, but I wanted some impact-specific deep sockets to use this with, and I found an awesome deal on ebay for a 9 piece snap-on deep 6pt set, 1/2" to 1". I was just curious if it's worth getting some single bigger (and more expensive) sizes. I do almost all commercial, so big rooftops, some chillers, semi-hermetics, etc. but I am not gonna be tearing down centrifugals or anything anytime soon. Will I need bigger than 1" very often? Is there a specific size above 1" that is common to run into? All input is welcome. Thanks!

Post Likes
    For only Hvac work. I would just get a HF set. The Pittsburgh pro set is highly regarded on another forum.

Post Likes
    I use the harbor freight sets. There cheap and hold up. I'd also get a set of wrenches 7/8 up to 1-3/8 for when your working on pipe flanges and hydronic stuff that have larger bolts and nuts.
    Chaos equals cash$$$

Post Likes
    Thanks Fitzy. Is it worth it to get the 1/16' increments over 1", or will 1-1/8", 1-1/4", and 1-3/8" be sufficient?

Post Likes
    I have the HF set. I use them on the HF impactor for pulling corroded and set-up anode rods and other water sensor wells. They're inexpensive and durable.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the replies guys, but I'm looking for more info about sizes rather than brands or styles. I will have a complete set up to 1", just looking for common sizes above 1" and what applications they're used for to see if it's worth picking up for what I do, since they get so expensive in the bigger sizes.

Post Likes
    The 13 piece deep well HF set goes to 1.25" and it's 25$ for the entire set.

7/16 in., 1/2 in., 9/16 in., 5/8 in., 11/16 in., 3/4 in., 13/16 in., 7/8 in., 15/16 in., 1 in., 1-1/16 in., 1-1/8 in., 1-1/4 in.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/13-pc-1...set-69560.html

get them all and supplement as you need. it's a cheap investment

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jw-lu597 View Post
    Thanks Fitzy. Is it worth it to get the 1/16' increments over 1", or will 1-1/8", 1-1/4", and 1-3/8" be sufficient?
    It's a necessity! That'll get you up to an 8" flange (3/4" bolts) as well as Vic clamps up to about 6".
    Last edited by digitalj44; 12-12-2016 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Grammar

Post Likes
    That is a great impact gun that is what our company issues out.
    What kind of work are you doing? This will determine the size that you need. If you are doing resi 7/8 will be big enough. Commercial and industrial I would say up to 1 1/" would be fine than if you need anything bigger buy it and charge it to the job.
    UA Proud

"Phfft! Facts. You can use them to prove anything." Homer Simpson

Post Likes
    I'm with Buttwheat. Depends on what your doing. The HF set is probably good enough unless your pipe fitting or tearing down big stuff. The 13/16 and 1" do not have much use anyway.
    You need to put the phone down and get back to work!

Post Likes
    Thanks for the replies guys. I do anything and everything service-wise, pretty much, and even get on large jobs with fitters on teardowns or piping/construction on occasion. No Residential, however, just commercial. What I had in mind when I bought it was servicing/replacing semi-hermetics, as well as the mounts and such for motors, or large bolts/nots that are awkward to get to with a wrench. I think I'll just hold off buying anything for now then, and see what I run into over 1" and buy as needed.