Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    Do shops usually filter the oil before putting it in the tank for the furnace, or do the holding tanks take the oil straight from vehicles that have been serviced and filter it on the way to the furnace?

I really need to find some good reading materials on this type of equipment. As far as I know, this is the only use of oil burners in my area. I backed away from providing a quote for repairing one today because I simply know that I don't know enough to work on one.
    It's an upside down world we live in.

Post Likes
    Usually their are 2 filters in the oil system on the suction side(if it's a good mfg) other cheaper ones use one. Then their is a screen in the pump right before converting to high pressure. Some shops actually filter before dumping into the tank. Others that have capacity to hold greater volumes do have settling tanks. I have some customers with 5&10,000 gal tanks. These are bigger customers using multiple systems drawing from the same tank. But yes I see it both ways filtering and settling tanks. Also if the people in the shop are decent they have a separate place to put oil from head gasket jobs etc that have water/coolant content. One thing a lot of people DO NOT understand is you can not use these systems as a dumpster. I.e. Putting anything you want into the system to get rid of. I've told many people already they need to pump their oil from contamination. Most are places that "get" oil from others. You can burn bad oil but it has to be heavily diluted by good oil.

Anyone can put one of these systems in BUT to make it function properly and efficiently (burn as little oil as cleanly as possible) dose take some fine tuning. Then of course you've always got that one guy in the shop who knows it all and likes to play with settings and mixtures.

P/M's are at least once a year the first time including a burner rebuild ash out and filters. Then depending on the winter and run time it may need an ash out and filters again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalman0880 View Post
    Anyone can put one of these systems in BUT to make it function properly and efficiently (burn as little oil as cleanly as possible) dose take some fine tuning. Then of course you've always got that one guy in the shop who knows it all and likes to play with settings and mixtures.

P/M's are at least once a year the first time including a burner rebuild ash out and filters. Then depending on the winter and run time it may need an ash out and filters again.

Several of the manufacturers do state that the units can be installed by a shop owner to save money. They also go on, however, to state that the system must be commissioned by qualified technicians. I can see how treating them as "plug and play" devices, and running them until they stop could be very hazardous. I hope that shops do in fact have regular service performed.

Failing to properly install the venting system could be hazardous as well. Clean Burn requires a barometric damper. That is a critical device that could easily be over looked.

This is likely too technical for this open forum, but I wonder why Clean Burn would warn against using a power vent to overcome positive draft pressure (downdraft). If you know the reason, then please start a Pro thread with a response.
    It's an upside down world we live in.

Post Likes
    The shops that Ive serviced have a screen before the tank that filters out larger particles like stickers and metallic shards.

Post Likes
    Sent you a pm Dave.

Post Likes
    I've worked on a few diff brands over the years.They are interesting,they are a nitch,they have expensive parts,they do need maintenance just like every oil system.I stopped working on them about 10 years ago.

David, you just might be the "Waste Oil King" in your area! Check out the brands that the local shops have, get a few manuals,read,study, see if this is for you! I enjoyed the challenge,the experience, but my Cold Cold Mechanical Heart likes Refrigeration a little more.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12