Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Waste Oil Furnaces -- Researching

I am looking into waste oil furnaces for automotive shops.

Any thoughts about which manufacturers are good to work with, or which brands to avoid would be appreciated.
    It's an upside down world we live in.

Post Likes
    These seem to be popular by me. Never had any hands on experience though. www.cleanburn.com

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Jettinvr6sc, thank you for your response. I am a little surprised that oil fired furnaces are allowed in places like New York City and Long Island. They must be burning much cleaner than what I remember in New Hampshire back in 1960's.

Other questions come to my mind when thinking about waste oil furnaces. The heat content of the oil must be constantly changing. So, setting proper combustion would seem to be difficult.

Also, These furnaces likely need to be serviced at least once each season. Even though the fuel is essentially free (except for the cost of storage), a minimum $500 annual service would seem to start taking away from the benefits of free fuel.
    It's an upside down world we live in.

Post Likes
    Fuel is fuel. Preheat the heavy oil, filter it well. Inject it through a nozzle under very high pressure and you'll be fine. The heat content changes mainly due to the oil being less dense, thus less heat, but usually less flue byproducts because of less hydrocarbons, BTUs, bla bla bla...

Almost ANY heater can be used with waste oil provided the fuel is handled correctly beforehand and the burner is set to a higher pressure.

I just run the stuff through my tractor.

Post Likes
    I use to service a place that had one, they had a contract with a local rep for Clean Burn though. It uses compressed air too. This was out on LI, not sure if NYC allows them. I'm sure proper maintenance is key.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I work on waste oil everyday. What would you like to know. Lots of brands lots of "custom" do it yourself installs and lots of bs too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes

Waste Oil Furnaces -- Researching

Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    Fuel is fuel. Preheat the heavy oil, filter it well. Inject it through a nozzle under very high pressure and you'll be fine. The heat content changes mainly due to the oil being less dense, thus less heat, but usually less flue byproducts because of less hydrocarbons, BTUs, bla bla bla...

Almost ANY heater can be used with waste oil provided the fuel is handled correctly beforehand and the burner is set to a higher pressure.

I just run the stuff through my tractor.
    You have the right idea. Your missing parts though. It dose not run like a fuel oil set up. Also no, not almost any heater can be used with waste oil.

Post Likes
    http://www.energylogic.com

We had one of this brand waste oil boiler in the shop of my previous employer. Provided in floor heat and hot water. It was pretty reliable as long as maintenance schedule was adhered to as required.
    Quote Originally Posted by David Goodman View Post
    I am looking into waste oil furnaces for automotive shops.

Any thoughts about which manufacturers are good to work with, or which brands to avoid would be appreciated.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalman0880 View Post
    You have the right idea. Your missing parts though. It dose not run like a fuel oil set up. Also no, not almost any heater can be used with waste oil.
    Perhaps you have less experience than I do, with different equipment.

Post Likes
    I'm always open to new info. I'm listening

Post Likes
    I worked on an older Aero furnace. Probably really old. Nonetheless, set up as horizontal with a beckett burner. There was a fuel preheater that heated to 120 degrees on an indoor tank. Nozzle was a .75 GPH - H pattern. Pump pressure was set at 250. The tank was outside and underground (problem with water infiltration and condensation - why I was called). Fuel was transferred by a lift pump through a General filter and then a stainless strainer filter, to a smaller indoor holding tank. The thing worked great. Most of the fuel was old engine oil, plus some transmission and brake fluids, maybe some gasoline. It was in an old tire shop, service station.

I also have a customer who does metal smelting with waste oil and a beckett burner. With a ceramic pot. He sets his pressure at 175.

Post Likes
    Back when heat exchangers had some balls behind them huh? I love the Frankenstein stuff.

Post Likes
    probably so. Oil is pretty much dying where I service. I dont get to see much heavy duty or odd ball stuff any more

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast