+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New math 4 = 2

Post Likes

New math 4 = 2

So what's wrong with this picture. At first it looks like just a tight installation. Then you look at the back of the furnace and see the return drop covers about 3" of the back of the furnace. Then you see that is not such a problem because on the other end there is a 1/2" gap where the plenum didn't cover the opening. Now you measure the return drop and see it is big enough but when you measure the return duct it is 12 x 8 going 1 direction with no openings above or below. Ok, that's not good, so you check blower capacity and find out the blower is capable of 4 ton on this 100k furnace that is 13 years old with a cracked HX. You look outside and find that the A/C is 2 ton and older than the furnace. Judging buy brand I think the same company installed it all.

I think it's time to tear it all out and start over. The homeowner just redid the ceilings in the basement and really doesn't want to tear it all up again but the lines are too small to put anything new on as in 1/4 & 5/8, and to replace them the ceiling needs opened up.
    Attached Images Attached Images        

Post Likes
    That sucks for the HO. They did get a good life on the condenser though. Any chance you could just run the line set on the outside of the wall and just cover it with sheetrock or linehide?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    A lot of older units are Frankensteined together or in rural areas I see a lot of this type of work , mostly these things have ran for years . Probably not to efficient

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Likes a4s_hvac liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Snaple4 View Post
    That sucks for the HO. They did get a good life on the condenser though. Any chance you could just run the line set on the outside of the wall and just cover it with sheetrock or linehide?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    The lines come in heading east then go south to the furnace so somewhere there is a 90° bend. It also goes past a open doorway that goes to the ceiling.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 1clown View Post
    A lot of older units are Frankensteined together or in rural areas I see a lot of this type of work , mostly these things have ran for years . Probably not to efficient

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah, I have seen a lot of mismatched equipment before but I don't believe I have ever seen a 2 ton A/C matched with a 4 ton drive on undersized duct. This whole thing just sucks.

Post Likes
    Bid high.

Mn the state where absolutey nothing is allowed
    Post Likes
    i love that you must relight the water heater any time you shut the gas off to the furnace
    my boss thinks its possible to repeal the laws of physics

Post Likes
    This whole job is a cluster. It started out bad with the original installation, then got worse with every equipment change. to make it all worse the people just bought the house less than a year ago and had no clue that it had these issues, the heat came on, the cool came on, all is well.

Post Likes
    When the home owner said to the other vendor, just fix it as long as its cheap...Bingo,....you got it!

Personally I wont do work that is wrong, to be cheap cheap. Just wont do it...Im afraid I will end up in this thread

Post Likes
    I hear you. I would rather walk away than do cheap work just to get a job.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BNME8EZ View Post
    I hear you. I would rather walk away than do cheap work just to get a job.
    The shame is that most of our trade is composed of people who put the bottom line first and foremost. I could not go home and sleep at night doing some of the work that I see passed off as "quality work" today.
    The bible is my constitution and the constitution is my bible.

WE THE PEOPLE refers to THEM and not YOU.

Jonathan Lawson 2024

13. Likes HeatenCoolair liked this post.
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in