Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: piping question

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    central ohio
    Posts
    108
    Post Likes

    piping question

    Can anyone tell me on installing a 30 gallon vertical expansion tank to a jetpump why the previous plumber would have used 2 separate 1 inch lines to the expansion tank. one 1 inch came directly from pump supply outlet and went down to expansion tank.
    The other 1 inch line is right beside it and goes from expansion tank to main house lines. It worked fine(until it started leaking) my reason for the question is instead of going from pump down 3 feet to bottom of expansion tank just to come right back up past the pump supply outlet and on to the main house lines. I can save material and make it look like a hole lot cleaner job if I go from the pump supply outlet straight out to a 1in. tee. One side of the tee will go down to the 30 gal exp. tank, the other will go to the main house line.
    I just wasn't sure if doing this would go against proper installation. Or is it required to join the well pump supply and the house line as close as possible to the expansion tank? Bet I have probably confused everyone and I wont get any advise. Sorry fellas but I tried my best!!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    24,931
    Post Likes
    I have no idea why he did as he did - the world is filled with the incompetent and the stupid.

    There is no way to know the mind of a nut - without being a nut yourself.

    All you need is a connection 'somewhere' in the pump discharge piping to the expansion tank.

    PHM
    -------


    Quote Originally Posted by pfeifer View Post
    Can anyone tell me on installing a 30 gallon vertical expansion tank to a jetpump why the previous plumber would have used 2 separate 1 inch lines to the expansion tank. one 1 inch came directly from pump supply outlet and went down to expansion tank.
    The other 1 inch line is right beside it and goes from expansion tank to main house lines. It worked fine(until it started leaking) my reason for the question is instead of going from pump down 3 feet to bottom of expansion tank just to come right back up past the pump supply outlet and on to the main house lines. I can save material and make it look like a hole lot cleaner job if I go from the pump supply outlet straight out to a 1in. tee. One side of the tee will go down to the 30 gal exp. tank, the other will go to the main house line.
    I just wasn't sure if doing this would go against proper installation. Or is it required to join the well pump supply and the house line as close as possible to the expansion tank? Bet I have probably confused everyone and I wont get any advise. Sorry fellas but I tried my best!!
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    central ohio
    Posts
    108
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    all of the diagrams that I have seen except for inline tanks the pump discharge goes to expansion tank and at the same point it is the house line usually a tank tee or cross. This pump sits on top of vertical tank and house line is above pump so why not just have the tee right at the pump discharge instead of 3 feet down at the expansion tank unless the manufacture wants it as close to tank as possible

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    24,931
    Post Likes
    Think about the water: how will it know? <g> Water is dumb that way - it just takes the path of least resistance and flows from high pressure to low pressure.

    The expansion tank is to add an air cushion to avoid short-cycling and some storage to provide longer off-times for the pump. It can be anywhere in the main water line of the system. Think about this: if you had a submersible pump down in a well it could be separated from the expansion tank by 100' or more.

    You pump could be down on the deck too. But that pump-mounting plate on the top is a great convenience - plus you don't have to bend down to work on the pump. <g>

    Pipe it from the tank connection up to a tee at the pump and then on to the house. Use at little material as possible and make it Neat - level, square, plumb, nice wiped joints; all that stuff. And it will work well.

    PHM
    -------




    Quote Originally Posted by pfeifer View Post
    all of the diagrams that I have seen except for inline tanks the pump discharge goes to expansion tank and at the same point it is the house line usually a tank tee or cross. This pump sits on top of vertical tank and house line is above pump so why not just have the tee right at the pump discharge instead of 3 feet down at the expansion tank unless the manufacture wants it as close to tank as possible
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western Wa.
    Posts
    3,542
    Post Likes
    Always pump away from the expansion tank, Meaning expansion tank on the suction side of the pump.
    UA Proud

    "Phfft! Facts. You can use them to prove anything." Homer Simpson

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    central ohio
    Posts
    108
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    It's an expansion tank not storage tank meaning it would need to be on supply side of pump

    Sent from my SM-J320VPP using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    central ohio
    Posts
    108
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    The pressure switch is located on pump but as I understand it just needs to be within 5 feet. I agree with P.H.M. THANKS!!!!

    Sent from my SM-J320VPP using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    24,931
    Post Likes
    Please explain how to do that in the event of a submersible well pump. <g>

    PHM
    -------




    Quote Originally Posted by buttwheat View Post
    Always pump away from the expansion tank, Meaning expansion tank on the suction side of the pump.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East coast USA
    Posts
    1,251
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by buttwheat View Post
    Always pump away from the expansion tank, Meaning expansion tank on the suction side of the pump.


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    24,931
    Post Likes
    Well; you don't ask a boiler guy to do well pump installation I guess. <g>

    PHM
    ------


    Quote Originally Posted by dlove View Post
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    central ohio
    Posts
    108
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Bad thing is boilers need room for thermal expansion and are plumbed very similar. Actually it's more complex.
    Where I'm from you had to be all the trades to keep food on the table and if you needed help on something you contacted tech support. Now there's the internet on a phone and web sites like this which are great I think.

    Sent from my SM-J320VPP using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western Wa.
    Posts
    3,542
    Post Likes
    Crap I'm sorry I didn't take the time to understand the question fully. Premature answeration.
    UA Proud

    "Phfft! Facts. You can use them to prove anything." Homer Simpson

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •