Thread: well piping

Post Likes

well piping

my father is wanting to replace his supply lines from jetpump/expansion tank. The water is very clean and has no sulpher or iron problems. Not wanting to penny pinch on the materials. What would be the best pipe to use?
    I realize that copper/brass will be the most expensive and has been used for numerous years, I am just wondering if the use of schedule 80 p.v.c. or even c.p.v.c. would be a better choice. I just want to ensure that when I replumb his system that I am doing it with the best material for the job and if plastic is the way to go now(except for the shutoffs) then I wont waste the extra money.
    The single line pump and 30 gallon tank is in the basement right beside the well casing in a kind of pump room so the distance between them all is with in 3 feet. please give me some advise when you can Thanks

Post Likes
    SCH80 PVC only if the threads of the PVC are male ONLY. Otherwise use brass or stainless steel (which may be cheaper than brass now). SS fittings were cheaper for me vs the new *lead-free* brass. For a distance over a foot, which you have, you could also use a larger diameter pex pipe. - if you have 1" pipe, use 1.25 inch pex and fittings. Another option is barbed fittings and well poly, but it's uglier. Be aware that regular PVC pipe is not rated or suggested to carry potable water. CPVC is, but it gets brittle over time.

Post Likes
    thankyou for the info. So it looks like ss fittings are cheaper as you said. I noticed that you never mentioned copper.
    The line size is 1 in. and I don't like the ugly well poly look either. So you think i am doing right using thick wall copper and ss fittings ?

Post Likes
    Copper is fine, assuming you know how to solder well. It's about the same price as brass. You should use brass if you're going to use copper pipe for whatever misc fittings you cant get in copper.

Post Likes
    Are you good at soldering if so use all copper price is way down now and you dont need much anyway.

Post Likes
    Copper is down but I gotta wonder if the quality is right along with it. I've surely noticed it in linesets these days. Hint, Chinese....

7. Likes HVAC_Marc, doug1111 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    Copper is down but I gotta wonder if the quality is right along with it. I'v surely noticed it in linesets these days. Hint, Chinese....
    I agree. It's not the best stuff

Post Likes
    yes i can solder extremely well. It sounds like i will be removing the well poly, galv, and p.v.c. mix matched mess that is there and installing some 1 in (k) copper with s.s. or l.f.brass fittings. It was pretty much what i had planned but since i do way more hvac/r troubleshooting i thought i would ask you all that do it way more than me.
    Guess its hard to beat time tested materials. Even thou as you've said a lot of the products we get these days are so cheesy.

10. Likes HVAC_Marc liked this post
    Post Likes
    K copper is the best choice and heaviest wall over L & M types.

Post Likes
    Well or point?