Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Likes

Fry master MJCFSD

Serial 9803HA005

I hardly do cooking equipment.
    The pilot stays on long enough to switch over to On more and than the thermostat takes over gas valve function. The burners will come on and warm oil up till it gets hot and than the pilot will shut off.
    It almost seems to be that the thermopile is good and the gas valve since those work up until they stop. It's like the pilot holding circuit is being opened by something.
    Can I get some help on this fryer?
    Your time is appreciated

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jman2794 View Post
    Serial 9803HA005

I hardly do cooking equipment.
    The pilot stays on long enough to switch over to On more and than the thermostat takes over gas valve function. The burners will come on and warm oil up till it gets hot and than the pilot will shut off.
    It almost seems to be that the thermopile is good and the gas valve since those work up until they stop. It's like the pilot holding circuit is being opened by something.
    Can I get some help on this fryer?
    Your time is appreciated
    A couple of things: what temp is the oil when the pilot kicks out? Are you resetting the hi-limit after the pilot goes out? Electronic ignition or standing pilot? When the pilot goes out have you checked the thermopile? (Remember, heat effects resistance and the flow of electricity).

In a basic milivolt system there are 4 components: gas valve, thermopile, thermostat, and hi limit. Start eliminating components.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A pat on the back is nothing more then topical anesthesia for a knife.

Post Likes
    I will measure the oil temp.
    I have not reset anything (didn't even know about a manual reset)
    Standing pilot
    I have already resolved thermopile(shamefully and did not want to admit I was doing the part changer thing)

Post Likes
    Replaced thermopile.

Post Likes
    Replaced thermopile.
    No, I might have thought that too. Really the pilot staying lit is either the pilot portion of the combination gas valve or the thermopile.

When the pilot goes out can you re-light it right away? Does it go out after the thermostat has satisfied and the main valve shuts off? Does it always shut off during the initial heat up process? You've proved the thermopile is good, really that just leaves the valve.

Now, saying that there is something else you need to check: gas pressure. Hook up a manometer and watch the pressure through the entire process. See if the pilot dropping out is a pressure problem or mechanical problem.

Post Likes
    I'm going today to check at what stage it comes off and what temp.
    I know it stays lit till oil get hot but I will get more specifics

Post Likes
    Limits can go bad and doesn't that then shut all functions down ?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    Limits can go bad and doesn't that then shut all functions down ?
    Yes, but every hi-limit that I have seen on a fryer is Mechanical and needs to be reset. Since he didn't know there was one, nor has he reset anything I can assume that it's not tripping the hi-limit.

Post Likes
    I'm going today to check at what stage it comes off and what temp.
    I know it stays lit till oil get hot but I will get more specifics
    The sequence of operation is: pilot is lit, thermopile proves pilot is lit, main valve opens and burners light, thermostat senses temp and opens at cutout. Main valve shuts, pilot is still lit because of thermopile proof. Temp drops to thermostat cut in and main valve reopens. Hi-limit is only in play when oil temp reaches cutout (yes limits can fail low, but you still have to reset it to reset the entire operation).

You need to verify oil temp and thermostat setting. Verify proper gas pressure. Verify sequence of operation.

Also, remember that heat/resistance can effect the gas valves just as much as it effects the thermopile.

10. Likes ECtofix, PaulServiceTech, Dale2sky liked this post
    In a kitchen with my head stuck in an oven
    Post Likes
    The high limit in that Frymaster fryer is a Fenwal Thermoswitch, which is basically a snap disk setup enclosed within a SS shell which screws into the front of the vat and protrudes into the oil. It's right next to the operator thermostat (or temperature probe.

That high limit trips at 415° to 435°F. It automatically resets at around 350°. There is NO manual reset for it.

It's connected in series with thermopile output to the pilot. Of course, if the pilot loses power, the internal workings of the valve mechanically disables the main burner as well.

A standard setup for those fryers is to have a combination valve where the MAIN valve operates on 24VAC from the thermostat circuit. It COULD BE one with ALL millivolt controls. Frymaster DOES make them that way, but I've never seen one.

If the high-limit is tripping prematurely, then replace it. However, if trips due to oil getting too hot, that could either be a faulty operator thermostat or the combination valve is sticking open.

What type of thermostat does it use? Is it just a black knob and a few rocker switches to one side on the control panel? Or is it electronic temperature control with digital display?
    ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° °

"You never know what others don't know." -

If I can't laugh at myself...then I'll laugh at YOU! -

12. Likes Dale2sky liked this post
    Post Likes
    Here's you a manual on it:

http://fm-xweb.frymaster.com/service...20OCT%2016.pdf

UPDATE. That was just an installation and operation manual. Here's a service manual:

http://download.partstown.com/is-bin...SERIES_spm.pdf

Post Likes

Fry master MJCFSD

Quote Originally Posted by ECtofix View Post
    The high limit in that Frymaster fryer is a Fenwal Thermoswitch, which is basically a snap disk setup enclosed within a SS shell which screws into the front of the vat and protrudes into the oil. It's right next to the operator thermostat (or temperature probe.

That high limit trips at 415° to 435°F. It automatically resets at around 350°. There is NO manual reset for it.

It's connected in series with thermopile output to the pilot. Of course, if the pilot loses power, the internal workings of the valve mechanically disables the main burner as well.

A standard setup for those fryers is to have a combination valve where the MAIN valve operates on 24VAC from the thermostat circuit. It COULD BE one with ALL millivolt controls. Frymaster DOES make them that way, but I've never seen one.

If the high-limit is tripping prematurely, then replace it. However, if trips due to oil getting too hot, that could either be a faulty operator thermostat or the combination valve is sticking open.

What type of thermostat does it use? Is it just a black knob and a few rocker switches to one side on the control panel? Or is it electronic temperature control with digital display?
    With what Ectofix said, definitely verify temp. You could be overshooting and tripping the hi-limit and then having it reset once temp drops. That's why I wondered if you could re-light right away or if it took some time. Talk to the store about having a separate source (i.e. Thermometer) to always verify actual temperature of the oil.

I'd forgotten about the hi limit in the frymaster. I only have one customer that uses them, which is interesting considering the amount of frying going on in Louisiana.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by r22coolguy View Post
    I'd forgotten about the hi limit in the frymaster. I only have one customer that uses them, which is interesting considering the amount of frying going on in Louisiana.
    LOL! So Frymaster's factory and world headquarters is WHERE? In Shreveport!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast