Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    The Conclusion -

I decided to re-brick the little bastard as I originally intended. But I left the side-refractory panels and bricked over them. The floor panel just had some divots out of it which I filled with furnace cement. The rear was was a POS so I threw it away and made an expanded-metal replacement. The same size left & right and with a lip bent backwards the depth of the original panel. To duplicate the air-space which the original panels had.

The expanded-metal replacement was then bricked over - with the furnace cement 'keying' into the diamond holes.

Afterwards I dusted the interior with flat black hi-heat BBQ / exhaust manifold paint to make it all look the same inside the fireplace as it had previously. Rather than wait for it to soot up again. <g>

I'll see if I can manage some pics in a minute here.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by GenesisRefrig View Post
    PHM. I just re Re-bricked the free-standing wood stove at our cabin. It has a steel exterior. The original bricks were dry fit with no mortar, so that's how I redid it. It's like new again, and working well for the past 9 months.
    Thanks for the tip! Worked great for me as well.

Post Likes

Or would never be better than late ?

You reminded me that I promised pics.

Name:  220 Fireplace - 1.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  71.5 KBName:  220 Fireplace-2.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  75.5 KBName:  220 Fireplace-3.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  87.0 KBName:  220 Fireplace-4.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  77.4 KBName:  220 Fireplace-5.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  86.8 KB
    PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    I made a new expanded-metal bit to attach the rear bricking to but the battered side panels I left as-is and re-bricked over them.

Narrowing the firebox width by 2" - but no one notices.

The bottom panel I just 'repaired' with furnace cement and left it - with the idea that it would soon covered with ashes and so forth.

The replacement panels were something like $500. as I recall, and some weeks to get them. This re-build job was about $100. Well; unless you add in the million dollars worth of talent I utilized. <g>

The rebuilt fireplace was subsequently used pretty much every cool day since then and the building didn't burn down. Well; yet anyway. <g>
    PHM
    --------

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12