Post Likes

Pitco filtering unit

This is another fine mess I may have got myself into.
    Customer has a Pitco fryolator grease filtering unit.
    This has a reverse valve. It isn't pushing the oil/grease like it should and won't Reverse. I am thinking just plugged up, but
    I know nothing about these units. Was thinking they should be run warn if not hot. Wouldn't hot clean it out?

Post Likes
    The model of the unit would help. But yes, it needs to filter hot. Some new fryers don't even let you filter unless its above a certain temp. I think Frymaster and HP (maybe Giles too) is 230deg.

I'm not sure what pump you have but some (Haiaght) CANNOT pump water. They physically can but it's hard on the rollers. So don't go trying to pump hot soapy water to clean out the pump and lines unless you have confirmed you can. Again, the model would help.

Is it pumping at all or just slow? Is the filter media new? Is there air bubbling out of the vat when you run the pump?

Btw I know you are a seasoned vet on H-talk but I mostly see you over in Refr & Ice (I like your posts). Do you monkey around with fryers all that much? I have no doubt you can fix it but the greasy mess sucks! Is it too late to run away lol. Some day I'll only have to run cold side calls hahaha... someday.

Post Likes
    No I try to stay away from hot side, this is one of my best customers that asked me to look at it. I will generally get involved in something electric on the hot side but getting parts at a reasonable price just isn't happening. Hell I usually stay away from AC work.
    Pitco number (s) P14, 14K, and RP14.
    Its also approved for use in NY (:-

Quote Originally Posted by VanMan812 View Post
    The model of the unit would help. But yes, it needs to filter hot. Some new fryers don't even let you filter unless its above a certain temp. I think Frymaster and HP (maybe Giles too) is 230deg.

I'm not sure what pump you have but some (Haiaght) CANNOT pump water. They physically can but it's hard on the rollers. So don't go trying to pump hot soapy water to clean out the pump and lines unless you have confirmed you can. Again, the model would help.

Is it pumping at all or just slow? Is the filter media new? Is there air bubbling out of the vat when you run the pump?

Btw I know you are a seasoned vet on H-talk but I mostly see you over in Refr & Ice (I like your posts). Do you monkey around with fryers all that much? I have no doubt you can fix it but the greasy mess sucks! Is it too late to run away lol. Some day I'll only have to run cold side calls hahaha... someday.

Post Likes
    Ohhh, it's a RP14. No worries here, it's a portable model. You don't have to become as flexible as a gymnast to work on it lol.

This unit DOES have a Haiaght pump. The pump has five little cylindrical rollers inside that can wear out. This will give you a weak pump scenario. I found this today.

Those five white rollers should be evenly spaced. As you can see someone put this pump back together WRONG. This job was actually why I said I only want to only run cold side calls. I usually don't mind hot side but I spent 4 hours at a Chic-fil-A this morning working on their clams and pressure heads. The fried chicken places are just disgusting.

As for the reversing valve it's probably just clogged. It sucks the oil out of the vat and it's common for people to use it to suck up all the crumbs on the bottom of the vat instead of hand cleaning. That's a no-no. Break it down piece by piece and clean it out.

One last thing. Some guys will say the heat tape isn't necessary but I think it's needed. If it's not working, and given 10-15 minutes to heat up, it's can stress the pump out so much so that the overload trips. Or the breaker on this model. If it has failed, replace it. And one tip, bring some Dawn and a lot of 91% Isopropyl alcohol. The piping needs to be clean or the foil tape you use to hold the heater on with won't stick.

Good luck my friend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk