Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

I knew this day would come. Delfield, 2 doors. Appliance, coil freezes

Hello fellow techs,

I got a problem I could use some help on.

Its a 2 door, Delfield unit. Appliance unit, holds less than 5 pounds of refrigerant so its not very large.

Outlet side of the TXV is freezing up as in glazing over with frost pretty much as soon as the compressor turns on and starts running. eventually the txv is covered in a block of ice, not frost but solid ice as well as the line coming out of the TXV going into the coil and freezing a 1/4 of the line through the evap coil.

Does not have schraders that I can tap into so I am trying to see if its not a refrigerant related issue but it seems the evap coil is starved, probably due to a leak.

So I tried finding the leak, sprayed bubblelicious leak deteceter (not an actual brand) on the TXV's connections and all the U bends of the evaporator, I don't see any bubbles forming but since the ice block is right at the TXV I am assuming that's where the leak would be or right at the beginning of the evap coil which it seems like, is not leaking.

Condensor or evap coil are both not plugged. Condesnor fan is running and so is the evap coil.

Any ideas?

Post Likes
    You might not be seeing any bubbles because the evap is at or near 0, or possibly in a vacuum. You can try and leak check after it being off for a while to equalize pressure. You're better off just using a piercing valve and know what you have instead of guessing. If you do pierce make sure to remove it and add an access port.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A pat on the back is nothing more then topical anesthesia for a knife.

Post Likes
    Gonna need to gauge up. Even if you have to install a access fitting.

Post Likes
    Most likely pinhole leak on u bend. Delfied coils are notorious for leaking there in my experience. Might not see bubbles just a small foam patch devolving where leak is after a short period of time.

Post Likes
    Yeah, I have a lot of Delfield units and a I have had the evap coil changed on 2 different ones, had a leak on a TXV before, just constant problems, or at least that's what it feels like. If it's not an oven failing to ignite its a fridge not cooling.

I guess gauging up is the way to go. Thanks guys.

Post Likes
    The txv icing up has nothing to do with the leak location. It could be anywhere. It could also be a failed txv powerhead, or a few other things.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Man View Post
    The txv icing up has nothing to do with the leak location. It could be anywhere. It could also be a failed txv powerhead, or a few other things.
    Correct, and he only way to know for sure is to put gauges on it and troubleshoot. To put gauges on it he has to use a piercing valve. And when he is done he should remove the valve and install an access port.

Post Likes
    Delfield 2door with X-valve?

9. Likes Red Man liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Not a usual thing. Internal or external equalized. Is there an access fitting there? As far as replacing a piercing valve if done right they are good for years.
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Delfield 2door with X-valve?

11. Likes Red Man liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I've left piercing valves on and never had a call back due to a leak. If I need to recover the charge I'll braze one in, otherwise I leave it. I don't see what the big deal is, I work on large refer systems with many gaskets. There's nothing wrong with a gasket seal on refrigeration.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Man View Post
    I've left piercing valves on and never had a call back due to a leak. If I need to recover the charge I'll braze one in, otherwise I leave it. I don't see what the big deal is, I work on large refer systems with many gaskets. There's nothing wrong with a gasket seal on refrigeration.
    In this case, since he believes either the TXV is bad, or he has a freon leak then why would you leave a piercing valve in place? I believe I stated since he's going to be repairing one or the other then take the extra time to replace the piercing valve with an access port. Since there will be a drier change out, install a high side port as well. There isn't a big deal since he's probably already breaking into the system. Given the choice I'll always replace them. I guess since I'm only putting one in because I believe there is a refrigeration problem then it becomes a short term access to recover what is left of the refrigerant. Does that explain it for you?

Post Likes
    when I see a piercing valve on a cap tube system and it is not oily then I think that the system has probably been over heated & cap tube is probably restricted = gas N go then system stop's cooling then they call the company that last did work for them they don't call back then they call me I fix the system give them the bill & the first thing they say THE OTHER GUY IS CHEAPER THEN I SAY WHY DID YOU CALL ME so no I don't lave piercing valve's in the system .

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by r22coolguy View Post
    In this case, since he believes either the TXV is bad, or he has a freon leak then why would you leave a piercing valve in place? I believe I stated since he's going to be repairing one or the other then take the extra time to replace the piercing valve with an access port. Since there will be a drier change out, install a high side port as well. There isn't a big deal since he's probably already breaking into the system. Given the choice I'll always replace them. I guess since I'm only putting one in because I believe there is a refrigeration problem then it becomes a short term access to recover what is left of the refrigerant. Does that explain it for you?

I wasn't tryin to argue with you. I was agreeing with lytning, if they're done right they're good for years. I wouldn't leave it on if the system's opened either, but once in a while I've put them on and not opened the system and they haven't leaked.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast