Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    It's kinda fun to do. You feel like you're defeating the laws of electricity.

In the case of the OP, a whole new system is likely the best option.

Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    And it sounds less reliable than other options, plus more expensive than the 2k he was griping about.

2. Likes HVAC_Marc liked this post
    Post Likes
    Not to mention how dangerous it would be with a step up transformer and a bunch of capacitors laying outside the unit, hack job.
    Federal Reserve, stealing your kids futures since 1913

UA290

Post Likes
    Thanks guys for your advice.
    I found the information of this Copeland compressor and unfortunatelly it is clear that there is no accesible conections with jumpers to make the star to triangle conversion. Therefore, there is no way to use it with 220v, and in consecuence, no matter if there is solution or not for the single phase issue.
    The only way I have found is to use an electronic inverter for about 600 usd (220v single ph to 380v 3 ph 7kw)
    I know that the starting peak of a 4kw compreessor is huge for an electronic inverter, but this compressor is a scroll device with a soft start even with not equalized pressures, so, I hope it can work... żor not?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by maximusvigor View Post
    Thanks guys for your advice.
    I found the information of this Copeland compressor and unfortunatelly it is clear that there is no accesible conections with jumpers to make the star to triangle conversion. Therefore, there is no way to use it with 220v, and in consecuence, no matter if there is solution or not for the single phase issue.
    The only way I have found is to use an electronic inverter for about 600 usd (220v single ph to 380v 3 ph 7kw)
    I know that the starting peak of a 4kw compreessor is huge for an electronic inverter, but this compressor is a scroll device with a soft start even with not equalized pressures, so, I hope it can work... żor not?
    Your wasting your time and money.

Sent using crapatalk.
    "If you can’t describe what you are doing as a process, you don’t know what you are doing." ~ W. Edwards Deming

All those who wander..are not lost.

Do NOT..mistake my kindness for weakness.

The early bird may get the worm..but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Post Likes
    i bet he doesnt tell us how the inverter melted after a few starts

7. Likes lions_lair liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    I have wired three phase motors to run on single phase, and yes, it is done with capacitors. There is a rule of thumb, but best if you Google it for yourself. But there are a couple problems besides what have already mentioned. First off, to make that existing compressor work, you'd need to first step up the voltage. Then do the special capacitor trick to make it run on single phase.

Secondly, if only doing the capacitor trick, then you lose horsepower. Can't remember how much, but in this application, you would not have good results. Works good for things like drill presses and lathes.

If you want to maintain capacity, then after stepping up the supply voltage, you'd need to power another motor with the capacitor trick. It just idles along with no load. Then you tie your existing compressor in parallel with that idler motor.

So, yes, it can be done. And I have done it. But not to an HVAC compressor.
    I've got a customer running a 3 phase ice machine compressor on single phase supply. We've got a capacitor bank called roto phase and the idler motor. It works well.

9. Likes lions_lair liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Man View Post
    I've got a customer running a 3 phase ice machine compressor on single phase supply. We've got a capacitor bank called roto phase and the idler motor. It works well.
    I've seen my pops do the same thing. It was on a commercial 3 phase washing machine, for a laundry service.

Sent using crapatalk.
    "If you can’t describe what you are doing as a process, you don’t know what you are doing." ~ W. Edwards Deming

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lions_lair View Post
    I've seen my pops do the same thing. It was on a commercial 3 phase washing machine, for a laundry service.

Sent using crapatalk.
    probably more than 2k$ ? the OP doesnt want to spend anything. so, harbor freight inverters it is...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    probably more than 2k$ ? the OP doesnt want to spend anything. so, harbor freight inverters it is...
    Na...it was a 3 phase washer. You take a motor get it spinning with a series of capacitors in the circuit. And you can actually create a third phase out of single phase. I know I'm simplifying it. But if one knows what they are doing. It can be made to work. There's actually a thread on this here somewhere.

Sent using crapatalk.

Post Likes
    what i mean is - the equipment and capacitors - if purchased and commissioned by someone like us, would be more than the OP wants to spend

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12