Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Likes
    I think there are some folks... whose sense of adventure (whether immature or not)... is larger than their sense of self preservation.

Folks like Columbus who discovered America... Special ops folks... Some business folks who take BIG risks...
    Etc, etc, etc...

Share this sense of adventure and accomplishment.

I remember having some of that attitude when I was young... it seems to have been tempered with age... grin!
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

2. Likes exreo liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    I think there are some folks... whose sense of adventure (whether immature or not)... is larger than their sense of self preservation.

Folks like Columbus who discovered America... Special ops folks... Some business folks who take BIG risks...
    Etc, etc, etc...

I remember having some of that attitude when I was young... it seems to have been tempered with age... grin!
    This is what I was thinking too. If they built the ship someone would go just to be in the history books as the first person. They need to get busy on a Tardis too
    Better to burn out then to rust

4. Likes ga-hvac-tech liked this post
    Post Likes
    I'd go. The Earth is boring. Nothing left to explore. I'd go. Anywhere in space.

Post Likes

Etc, etc, etc...

People that go over the Niagara Falls in a barrel have a much better chance of survival than those on a mission to Mars. Mars is a suicide mission. That is not adventure to me but rather stupidity.

No one has even been back to the moon since like 1971?
    No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another. -- Charles Dickens

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by exreo View Post
    People that go over the Niagara Falls in a barrel have a much better chance of survival than those on a mission to Mars. Mars is a suicide mission. That is not adventure to me but rather stupidity.

No one has even been back to the moon since like 1971?
    Yes, I agree... many adventures are relatively safe... maybe not for the average person... yet not like a one way trip to Mars.
    Reminds me of a former lady-friend: She was literally terrified of heights... could not even walk across a bridge on a trail if it was more than 10 ft high. Her life was seriously limited... and she knew it... BUT... she was NOT gonna get help and overcome the fear... she just was not motivated enough to... which cost her having a great guy like me in her life...
    Another example is a guy who used to work at one of the supply houses... he is over 300#, I am in touch with his brother. He does not understand why he cannot get a job... everyone else knows why... yet he is not gonna listen.
    My point is: just because I think something... does not mean it is true for everyone... it only means I have embraced the idea at the current time.
    IMO folks need to think outside their own little boxes.

Now back on subject:
    OTOH... If one's heart is totally INTO adventure... and death is not that big an issue (not a death wish, however not overly sensitive either)... then the sense of adventure may out-weigh the sense of a risk free life... mellinials anyone...

All one has to do to understand this... is to talk with someone like an astronaut or a Navy Seal... (or many others)... One understands the drive to do things, outweighs the possibility of failure.
    Kinda like:
    *One person will never take a chance, because of what might happen...
    *The other just could not live with that level of boring life... they are driven to conquer things (experience life to its fullest).
    *And if the latter person fails.. they just pick themselves up and get back to it.

Examples:
    *Would the USA exist if Columbus had not defied common logic at the time and sailed west??? There was absolutely NO GUARANTEE he would ever get home.
    *Folks that join the military... many of them come home with broken bodies... yet they are still positive about doing their duty to preserve freedom! And they get on with life the best they can!
    *Business types risk bankruptcy (and some go there and come back)... to reap a HUGE reward... GA has gone broke before... survived... and is better off today than any time in his life. So if a nobody like me can pull his bootstraps back up...

So IMO, the idea of self preservation at all costs... while it may be an attitude shared by some... does not appear to be an attitude shared by everyone.
    So here we are... back at the idea that one's opinion is not the final truth for everyone... and ones opinion may change. Seems better to not dig ones heels too hard into 'todays opinion'...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Post Likes
    Jeff Bezos Has Ambitious Plan For Colonizing Our Solar System
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NPdHTGzVdw

Model of the SpaceX Interplanetary Transportation System Vehicle.
    https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/mod...1-197f711f8770

The Booster, Part of the SpaceX ITS system
    https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/mod...9-9863a803a065

The Spaceship, part of the SpaceX ITS system.
    https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/mod...c-00cd79f28390

SpaceX Mars Vehicle in comparison with International Space Station
    http://www.humanmars.net/2016/10/spa...ison-with.html

3 simple ways to talk to your kids about living on Mars
    http://mashable.com/2016/10/18/talk-.../#io_KSYhEjiq3
    Vacuum Technology:
    CRUD = Contamination Resulting in Undesirable Deposits.
    CRAPP = Contamination Resulting in Additional Partial Pressure.

Change your vacuum pump oil now.

Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

Post Likes
    Spacex ITS rocket could get to Saturn’s moon Titan in 400 days and could refuel at Titan
    http://www.nextbigfuture.com/2016/10...o-saturns.html

SpaceX ITS spaceship docking with International Space Station [picture]
    http://www.humanmars.net/2016/10/spa...king-with.html

SpaceX’s Elon Musk geeks out over Mars interplanetary transport plan on Reddit
    https://www.geekwire.com/2016/spacex...t-mars-reddit/

Musk offers more details about Mars mission architecture
    http://spacenews.com/musk-offers-mor...-architecture/

Martian "Rust Valley" by Pat Fix [picture]
    http://www.humanmars.net/2016/10/mar...y-pat-fix.html
    Vacuum Technology:

Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

Post Likes
    I don't think it's adventure when there is a 100% certainty that you will die on your journey. That's not adventure to me. Columbus is adventure. There is a good chance of survival.
    No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another. -- Charles Dickens

Post Likes
    I don't think it's adventure when there is a 100% certainty that you will die on your journey. That's not adventure to me. Columbus is adventure. There is a good chance of survival.
    There's a simple solution for that: Don't go.
    Vacuum Technology:

Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

12. Likes ga-hvac-tech liked this post
    Post Likes
    Honestly....
    Given where I am in life and the potential future I have at 60-something...
    The adventure would outweigh the reality it was a one way trip!
    (Now if I get to take a babe with me... like the movie Passengers [grin]... well sign me up... )

Seriously... at this point... assuming someone else was gonna pay for all of it... I would probably be 50/50 on the idea. Add the babe... and the scales may be tipped...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Post Likes
    Honestly....
    Given where I am in life and the potential future I have at 60-something...
    The adventure would outweigh the reality it was a one way trip!
    (Now if I get to take a babe with me... like the movie Passengers [grin]... well sign me up... )

Seriously... at this point... assuming someone else was gonna pay for all of it... I would probably be 50/50 on the idea. Add the babe... and the scales may be tipped...
    GA wake up! You're just having a dream.

Post Likes
    GA wake up! You're just having a dream.
    What is dreaming about it...

The question was whether one would chose to take a one way trip to Mars???
    Under the conditions of someone else paying for it; and a babe to go with me...

Given I am in the autumn of my life...
    Sounds like the ultimate adventure!

Can you think of a better way to spend your final years???
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Post Likes
    What is dreaming about it...

The question was whether one would chose to take a one way trip to Mars???
    Under the conditions of someone else paying for it; and a babe to go with me...

Given I am in the autumn of my life...
    Sounds like the ultimate adventure!

Can you think of a better way to spend your final years???
    I can absolutely think of a better way. It wouldn't be much better than being sent down in a one-man submarine to explore the deepest trenches in the ocean. Totally boring!

If you want to be alone for the rest of your life, how about just getting a cabin high in the mountains stocked with a four-wheel drive, a boat, dirtbikes, snowmobiles, internet and a good HVAC system? It is where we should send old goats like McCain and Feinstein, but for then…no internet.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast