Post Likes

Hey Hon, let's get some fries...

I refused to work on this 14 year old exploding fryer. The bottom interior of the IR burners along the rail would glow for 45 seconds after the gas & blower shut off!

Name:  1472742314962.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  106.5 KB

Post Likes
    Fryers are the worst

In a kitchen with my head stuck in an oven
    Post Likes
    In 2001, Frymaster service training I attended had stated that their fryer's life expectancy was seven years.

That one right there is late-80s or early-90s. You're absolutely correct in that determination.

I had a McD's with a early 90s one of those. Almost a twenty year-old fryer at the time. A four-banker. Fryer #1 just had holes where the burner viewports formerly were. A cascade of grease down the front of the vat because the temp probe wasn't screwed in good at some point. I'd provided an estimate to fix that some months past.

A VERY regular (several-times-a-week) customer.

So while I was on-call, I received a very early Sat. morning call that their fryers had caught fire. I got there and the fire dept. had just left. Their one and ONLY set of fryers was relocated outside...and completely torched. What a site that was. Inside, the hood fryer suppression system had faithfully done its job.

As I said, a regular customer. Maria the Manager knew there was nothing I could do for it, but merely wanted to know if we had a spare set they could use until the fryer set gets replaced.

Sorry Maria. We don't have a spare of ANYTHING. We just fix yours.

The thought of this still haunts me. I had told Maria over and over again that those fryers should be replaced IMMEDIATELY. The fact that I'd never condemned them (which, at the time, I wasn't sure how or if I could do) made me wonder if I didn't do enough to prevent a catastrophe. I'm EXTREMELY thankful that they didn't point a finger at me for not doing so...and that there wasn't even MORE harm done for my not pursuing it.

"You never know what others don't know." -

If I can't laugh at myself...then I'll laugh at YOU! -

4. Likes coolwhip liked this post.
    Post Likes
    any one who let this fryer unit get like this should be terminated instantly.
    i worked in restaurants for years and our fryers were spotless.
    i made sure of it.
    oil filtered daily.
    cleaned daily.
    whole unit checked over daily.

Post Likes
    I find myself looking at fryers at fast food places more often the se days...

It's quite often I see a lot of old hardened oil grease buildup in the control and burner area like in the picture... is that typically indicative of a cracked vat or loose fitting (temp probe thermostat high limit etc ) or is that a common thing with age?

I work on a lot of pitco solstice units which tend to be clean, but a lot of the open burner stuff usually is greasy like that...

sent using crapatalk

Post Likes
    Any grease build up is a sign of not being taken care of properly.
    i worked for my father in his restaurant for 10 years and our fryers looked as good after 10 years of use as they did when brand new.
    but i took the time to clean them daily filter the oil daily.
    and do a total cleaning weekly.
    i never allowed any build up to start or stay

Post Likes
    Thats just nasty....a bacterial cesspool of old grease.

Post Likes
    Kinda like ice machines in many places, out of sight no worry's.
    UA Local 32 retired as of Jan 2020

10. Likes firume, throrope liked this post.
    In a kitchen with my head stuck in an oven
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by firume View Post
    I find myself looking at fryers at fast food places more often the se days...

It's quite often I see a lot of old hardened oil grease buildup in the control and burner area like in the picture... is that typically indicative of a cracked vat or loose fitting (temp probe thermostat high limit etc ) or is that a common thing with age?

I work on a lot of pitco solstice units which tend to be clean, but a lot of the open burner stuff usually is greasy like that...

sent using crapatalk
    Such grease accumulation is ALL too common. It floats in the air and lands on EVERYTHING. So over time, the fryer parts, panels, ledges, wires...ALL OF IT that's behind the fryer door...gets enveloped within a COCOON of grease. Every single square INCH.

So like pctech alluded to, just some simple and regular attention by someone just wiping things down can keep that at bay. However, such practices are EXTREMELY rare. Cooks can't wait to get outta there at the end of the day and are embroiled in prep work the next day before opening. The very demanding and typically high tempo of feeding customers takes precedence over performing such mundane tasks.

In a perfect fryer with no leaks, the grease buildup is just what float there over time or got splashed onto stuff during filtration that didn't get wiped off. If something is leaking, you'll definitely see the signs of it from the distinctive formations they grow. Leaks within the heat exchanger area (burner tubes) are fairly distinctive too...since NOTHING should be in THERE.

I can't compare anything I've seen in recent years to what BadBozo had posted here. That's pretty awful. Even the outside is bad...where the cooks touch it.

I once DID refuse to work on an ELECTRIC fryer at a popular chain QSR that's famous for their carhops. The greasy accumulation was so thick that I deemed it to be a fire hazard...and nothing short of a tearing it down and pressure washing would correct it. When I remove its rear panel, it looked like that part of a glacier that hangs over a bay while it slowly melts off...'cept it was solid grease. That was back when I still a field service tech.

I'm in-house now and we have a fryer set in the shop that's not even two years old. From its greasy growth, you couldn't of guessed that, though. AND...there's no leaks.

"You never know what others don't know." -

If I can't laugh at myself...then I'll laugh at YOU! -

12. Likes firume liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ECtofix View Post
    In 2001, Frymaster service training I attended had stated that their fryer's life expectancy was seven years.

That one right there is late-80s or early-90s. You're absolutely correct in that determination.

I had a McD's with a early 90s one of those. Almost a twenty year-old fryer at the time. A four-banker. Fryer #1 just had holes where the burner viewports formerly were. A cascade of grease down the front of the vat because the temp probe wasn't screwed in good at some point. I'd provided an estimate to fix that some months past.

A VERY regular (several-times-a-week) customer.

So while I was on-call, I received a very early Sat. morning call that their fryers had caught fire. I got there and the fire dept. had just left. Their one and ONLY set of fryers was relocated outside...and completely torched. What a site that was. Inside, the hood fryer suppression system had faithfully done its job.

As I said, a regular customer. Maria the Manager knew there was nothing I could do for it, but merely wanted to know if we had a spare set they could use until the fryer set gets replaced.

Sorry Maria. We don't have a spare of ANYTHING. We just fix yours.

The thought of this still haunts me. I had told Maria over and over again that those fryers should be replaced IMMEDIATELY. The fact that I'd never condemned them (which, at the time, I wasn't sure how or if I could do) made me wonder if I didn't do enough to prevent a catastrophe. I'm EXTREMELY thankful that they didn't point a finger at me for not doing so...and that there wasn't even MORE harm done for my not pursuing it.
    I've had that happen a couple times where I get there after the fire department and the smoldering fryer is sitting outside.

I always do a jump for joy because now that old piece of sh** is gone.

14. Likes Turtleman, Olivero liked this post.