Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Likes
    Too bad thats not an electric unit. Not that that would make it a simple job but maybe a little easier.

We install a lot of Rationals and it never fails, every customer is always surprised by how fragile the stands and/or stacking kits look. I tend to agree. So I'm not shocked to hear you say the internal framing is less than robust.

I don't envy you but I certainly have faith in you!

On a side note: Your ability to illustrate your pictures with text and graphics is pretty amazing. Possibly more amazing than the work your doing to the combi! Well done.

Post Likes
    even if the install was done right you would be surprised how many kitchen workers man handle the doors or the ovens them selves when they attempt to clean under or behind them.

In a kitchen with my head stuck in an oven
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VanMan812 View Post
    Too bad thats not an electric unit. Not that that would make it a simple job but maybe a little easier.
    It would CERTAINLY be allot simpler. Here's some photos of two of our SCC101 ovens I put together awhile back to illustrate JUST that:

The ELECTRIC: Looking all simple, neat and tidy. There's SO-O-O much LESS going on in the electric oven.
    The GAS: A maze of what runs through where so as to not leave it to be scrunched when you BANG the side panel back on.

I still want to ask why they left a cubic foot of NOTHING up there above the steam burner flute. CERTAINLY they coulda put something THERE TOO!

That ELECTRIC one in the picture was once a gold-sticker-bearing commemorative oven for being the umpteen-thousandth Rational sold in the U.S. That sticker's been washed off now.

I don't remember exactly what number they say it was, but apparently it received much pomp & circumstance...to a point that it got a group picture of IT in its completed form, on the factory floor - with the factory workers in Germany at that time (2005). Then the Rational big-wigs flew all the way from Germany to this little-ole-south-central-U.S.-state - for its ceremonial installation...HERE.

Well, never mind that. That electric one is even a little simpler than newer ones for it also being an original version D oven. So it's missing things like the the care pump, care valve (no triple valve) and the care drawer.

But who really cares...

We install a lot of Rationals and it never fails, every customer is always surprised by how fragile the stands and/or stacking kits look. I tend to agree. So I'm not shocked to hear you say the internal framing is less than robust.
    I'm interested in (JUST) observing the installation of a combi-duo set of ovens by you PROFESSIONALS.

Dealing with that TOP oven was a nightmare. Too many expensive things sticking out the bottom of it. And with no legs on it, there's not any options once you pick it up...other than nestling it carefully BACK down into a SPECIAL, factory-made place.

That was one of my challenges. I needed the top oven OFF, but you can't just set it down on a bench or on the ground. No legs. I also needed to keep it mobile (we be busy).

So I cut & bolted together some hefty angle-iron to form a cradle. Beings it was at our shop (instead of in the kitchen)...and we have a loading dock and a fork lift, I installed legs onto that homemade cradle, got the oven up, then set it down into four of those three-castered, funnel-like, cup-shaped dolly thingies. Well...DOLLIES (WHAT do you call those?). That worked very well to accomplish what I needed and then perch it back up to its new post once the bottom oven was ready for it.

We may soon have another combi-duo. A 62 on a 62 (W/Es, I guess).

Our hangup is who's going to install it/them. Rational wants US to do it? That don't sound right, but that's what my boss told me. At any rate, I agree with HIM! I want the INSTALLERS/START-UPPERS to install it.

So I think that'd be BadBozo's company. Come-ON, BadBozo!

On a side note: Your ability to illustrate your pictures with text and graphics is pretty amazing. Possibly more amazing than the work your doing to the combi! Well done.
    Thank you. A picture is worth a thousand words...or so we hear. THAT and my excessive attempts at putting together word-pictures. I guess both endeavors are ingrained into me from past occupations.

As for the graphics? Too many hours...days...WEEKS using the Windows Paint program, the SNIPPING tool and my chosen photo editing software in order to put together training stuff these recent years. Some graphics are merely what's already in the manuals. I simply re-fashioned them to suit me (don't tell anyone). I've learned to navigate a select few graphics programs about as easily as a word processing program. I'm no expert, though.

Sure wish I had a 2016 computer back when I was an instructor in the military in the '80s.
    ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° °

"You never know what others don't know." -

If I can't laugh at myself...then I'll laugh at YOU! -

Post Likes
    >Our hangup is who's going to install it/them. Rational wants US to do it? That don't sound right, but that's what my boss told me.
    >At any rate, I agree with HIM! I want the INSTALLERS/START-UPPERS to install it.

>So I think that'd be BadBozo's company. Come-ON, BadBozo!

Ha! Piece of cake. We use 4 guys (for a brief time) and a Genie hi-lift. Baddabing. Takes a bunch of time to install the lower reinforcing cradle, wheels, and stacking kit, along with the fat-collection system as used at WalMarts. Then plumbing the things...

>then set it down into four of those three-castered, funnel-like, cup-shaped dolly thingies. Well...DOLLIES (WHAT do you call those?)

We call them Turtles. Down Hea', sir.

Post Likes
    DONE.

Had it perched on its stand last Sunday and worked on it through the week.

Got it back into the kitchen yesterday morning:

Post Likes
    It must be an amazing feeling after having had it to such little bits and then successfully back together and working.

I know I would be rather chuffed if I had done it.

PHM
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by ECtofix View Post
    DONE.

Had it perched on its stand last Sunday and worked on it through the week.

Got it back into the kitchen yesterday morning:

PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    PHM, I always enjoy your posts. Some of your better stories should be in a book. Maybe "The Poodle Head Mikey Chronicals", or something along that idea. The one you posted a year or so ago about you being out running calls and your urge to do the #2 led to your getting caught by the woman looking out a window at you in your "chosen" territory - behind that seemingly remote and secluded bush. I think you said you slipped and fell in it? Can't remember, but I laughed my a$$ off! You hijacked that thread!

Your talent with words is exceptional. So NOW you throw "CHUFFED" at me. I might be the only person who's never heard that word, so I had to look it up.

YUP. THAT'S an apt description.

I came up with a BUNCH of other words for what I had to do to this oven. There's probably more I could add, but here goes - in no particular order:

I contemplated, eyeballed, researched, dreamed about, sought options/resources, sought out materials/went shopping, forklifted, heated with torch, pried, hammered, drilled, tapped threads, measured, X-acto-knife cut, plasma cut, band saw cut, cut with grinder, filed, degreased, MIG welded, plastic welded (we have a kit for that), used a grinder/wire wheel, sanded, degreased again, primed, painted, eliminated pesky insects, disassembled, sorted, organized, pressure washed, washed in buckets, cleaned with solvents, scrubbed with scrubby pads, scraped with razor blades, polished, vacuumed, reassembled, cut with pipe cutter, soldered pipe, troubleshot, repaired wiring, replaced many expensive parts, updated software, calibrated and…worked MUCH overtime.

My best guess is about 100 hours of dedicated time on it. So making the little video was having a little fun on my own time and to put the cherry on top - in commemoration that it's DONE! I went to work today SO relieved that I could do OTHER things.

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=ECtofix;23710471]PHM, I always enjoy your posts. Some of your better stories should be in a book. Maybe "The Poodle Head Mikey Chronicals", or something along that idea. The one you posted a year or so ago about you being out running calls and your urge to do the #2 led to your getting caught by the woman looking out a window at you in your "chosen" territory - behind that seemingly remote and secluded bush. I think you said you slipped and fell in it? Can't remember, but I laughed my a$$ off! You hijacked that thread!

Here Here!! I second that!

Post Likes
    oops autopsy completed

Post Likes
    Thanks; that is very kind of you to say so.

Now: did you add the boric air dust to the unit's mechanical side internals as a safeguard against future roach potential?

BTW: "Roach Proof" is a commonly available 100% boric acid product. It's not the only one - but it's an easy to remember name.

PHM
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by ECtofix View Post
    PHM, I always enjoy your posts. Some of your better stories should be in a book. Maybe "The Poodle Head Mikey Chronicals", or something along that idea. The one you posted a year or so ago about you being out running calls and your urge to do the #2 led to your getting caught by the woman looking out a window at you in your "chosen" territory - behind that seemingly remote and secluded bush. I think you said you slipped and fell in it? Can't remember, but I laughed my a$$ off! You hijacked that thread!

Your talent with words is exceptional. So NOW you throw "CHUFFED" at me. I might be the only person who's never heard that word, so I had to look it up.

YUP. THAT'S an apt description.

I came up with a BUNCH of other words for what I had to do to this oven. There's probably more I could add, but here goes - in no particular order:

I contemplated, eyeballed, researched, dreamed about, sought options/resources, sought out materials/went shopping, forklifted, heated with torch, pried, hammered, drilled, tapped threads, measured, X-acto-knife cut, plasma cut, band saw cut, cut with grinder, filed, degreased, MIG welded, plastic welded (we have a kit for that), used a grinder/wire wheel, sanded, degreased again, primed, painted, eliminated pesky insects, disassembled, sorted, organized, pressure washed, washed in buckets, cleaned with solvents, scrubbed with scrubby pads, scraped with razor blades, polished, vacuumed, reassembled, cut with pipe cutter, soldered pipe, troubleshot, repaired wiring, replaced many expensive parts, updated software, calibrated and…worked MUCH overtime.

My best guess is about 100 hours of dedicated time on it. So making the little video was having a little fun on my own time and to put the cherry on top - in commemoration that it's DONE! I went to work today SO relieved that I could do OTHER things.
    PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    Roaches and led displays.. what is up with those little #$!tards? I took apart a combination microwave convection oven completely, cleaned, scrubbed, vacuumed and left boric acid behind and they show up two days later underneath the plastic lens, humping the led display.

Post Likes
    Boric acid kills roaches in about a week. It takes them about that long to ingest it and then bleed to death. Eggs hatch out all the time so then all the babies have to die. That takes about another week as they don't get to lay any new eggs. If there are roaches present after two weeks - they are being re-introduced to the area.

Which reminds me of a funny story.

I build / rebuild houses with boric acid in every hidden space. Stud spaces, behind cabinets, behind baseboards, inside switch and receptical boxes.

I rented one such house to a bright eyed young lady, her small man, and her two delightful young children. In about a month she complained that the house was infested with roaches. Pest control is not on me - and there is a very specific lease paragraph devoted to that issue. Nonetheless; I dropped off a few pounds of Roach Proof dust, explained how to use it, and explained in detail how and why it works.

A week later: We still have roaches.
    Two weeks later: This must be like a vitamin for them - now we have even more.
    Three weeks later: now we can't even use the microwave - every time we do there are roaches running everywhere and some of them get cooked or explode on our food.

I say: Better call an exterminator - Roach Proof works in every other house I own.

Doesn't work here: I poured it right on them and they just walk away. Doesn't do a thing.

So one day I am there doing something and she mentions the Roach Proof: Hey; do you think this would work in our cars?

For what?

To kill the roaches silly.

You have roaches in your cars?

Sure do - they are everywhere: the car and the truck both are just filled with roaches. The kids catch and throw them out the windows while we are driving. But there are still hundreds of them in there.

You have effing Roachs in your goddamned cars??? How the hell dumb are you? You drive the cars every day. You bring more roaches into the house every day - probably a dozen times a day. And you are telling ME that my methods don't work?

What are you mad at me for?

I'm not mad at you - I just can't believe that you can't make the connection between hundreds of roaches in your cars and all the roaches in the house.

All cars have roaches.

What? Mine sure as hell don't! And I can tell you that I'd burn the SOB before I drove a car with roaches in it.

Everyone is my family has roaches in their cars - how did you get rid of them?

Your mom? Your dad? Your sisters? Your brother? They all have roaches in their cars? And THEY come here all the time? For how long?

As long as I can remember.
    -------------------------------------

About two months later I did not renew that lease.

And that house has not had any roaches since then.

I fired the management company who selected that tenant too.

PHM
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by davejohnsonnola View Post
    Roaches and led displays.. what is up with those little #$!tards? I took apart a combination microwave convection oven completely, cleaned, scrubbed, vacuumed and left boric acid behind and they show up two days later underneath the plastic lens, humping the led display.
    PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    All cars have roaches.

What? Mine sure as hell don't! And I can tell you that I'd burn the SOB before I drove a car with roaches in it.

I agree, the roaches being caught and thrown out would not work for me. I bug bombed my van once after went to a house and got caught in a flea swarm.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast