Post Likes

Willing, Trained, Confident

This might be too much for some people to handle reading, but I wanted to share. It is my longest post. So, I apologize in advance.

Willing Trained Confident
    Three qualities required for success

There are three qualities that I believe a person must possess to be highly successful in what ever they attempt to accomplish. It doesn’t matter if we are considering success in a personal relationship, a business endeavor or a deadly force confrontation. The example that I use to demonstrate these qualities provides a way to remember the key elements.

On September 11, 2001, a group of buildings in New York City were destroyed. Think of the name of that group of buildings. Most people remember the Twin Towers. However, the Twin towers were only two buildings destroyed in that event. Another building, building #7, was destroyed. All three buildings were part of a complex called the World Trade Center (WTC). The initials, WTC, are also the initials of the three qualities required for success: Willing, Trained and Confident

We often remember the horrible tragedy, and great loss of life from this attack. I prefer to honor those who responded to the attack and were successful in saving many lives as a result. This includes the first responders from various agencies up through the command personnel who established a command center in the lobby of the North Tower.

Let’s look at how being Willing, Trained and Confident led these people to be successful in their efforts to save lives even though many of them sacrificed their own lives in the process.

What were these emergency personnel Willing to do? They were willing to climb 75 to 79 stories with 75 to 100 pounds of gear to get to what they knew was literally a towering inferno in order to save peoples lives. They were willing to establish a command center in the lobby of the first building hit because it was the most efficient place to monitor activities and direct resources. They were willing to stand outside the buildings with debris falling around them to direct other people to safer locations. They were willing to risk their own lives to save others. They were highly successful and their efforts should be remembered as heroic.

How did Training affect their success? All emergency response personnel in the United States receive initial basic training. They receive additional formal continuing education, and possibly the most important, on-the-job (OTJ) training. OTJ training includes receiving directions during an emergency response and the formal or informal debrief after an incident to discuss what went well, and what could have been done better. This training provided the basis for rapidly developing a plan to deal with the situation they were being faced with on September 11, 2001.

Finally, let’s consider Confidence. Without having the confidence that they would be successful, the emergency response personnel would likely not have been willing to take the actions that they did. Their past successes in responding to fires in modern high-rise buildings allowed them to act. Never before had a modern high-rise building been completely destroyed by fire or an impact from an aircraft.

Unfortunately, these three qualities work for our enemies as well. The people responsible for this attack were willing to cause great destruction and murder thousands of innocent people in order to accomplish their goal of disrupting the US economy and putting our citizens in panic mode. They were willing to sacrifice other people’s lives to accomplish their goal. They had sufficient training to carry out multiple attacks simultaneously and navigate aircraft into the Twin Towers, and they had confidence that they would be successful if they followed the plan.

How do the qualities affect a personal relationship? Are you willing to do some things that might actually be very simple or minor to keep your partner happy. It could be as simple as putting your dirty socks in the clothes hamper instead of leaving them on the floor. Maybe all you need to do is stop using the scented laundry detergent and scented drier sheets that give your loved one a skin rash and cause them to wheeze while trying to sleep. If you are not willing to change, then how can you expect your relationship to improve?

Not one of us is born with the knowledge of how to maintain a successful personal relationship. We need training in this area. You may have had parents that had a good relationship, and by their example you learned how to relate to others. If your own parents had a dysfunctional relationship, then you may have had a friend whose parents provided a good example to follow. If you didn’t have a good example to follow, then don’t give up. You may need to train yourself by reading books on relationship building, or seek professional help.

If you are confident that the plan you have for your relationship is solid, then you will have the willingness to stay with it through thick and thin.

When it comes to business endeavors, these three qualities are vital as well. As a sales person, are you willing to make over 100 cold calls just to finally speak with a person who is willing to listen to your “pitch” for more than 15 seconds? When starting your own business, are you willing to put in way more than a 40-hour workweek to get the business going? Are you willing to accept the fact that you may need help from other people, and are you willing to trust those people to perform important tasks? If you lack the willingness to do some difficult things, then your chances of success are diminished.

Success in business requires training. Without training, how can you possibly know how to develop a business plan, apply for a loan, or identify potential growing markets? This training could be in the form of an apprenticeship, starting in the “mailroom” and working your way up in the company, having a mentor willing to “show you the ropes”, or through formal education by obtaining an MBA.

Once again, confidence is critical. Without having confidence in yourself and your business plan, you will likely give up prematurely. Your business will not have a chance to succeed if you give up.

Now let’s discuss these three qualities as they apply directly to the audience for which I intended this article; First Responders and lawful citizens confronted with an immediate deadly threat.

Please consider the following questions in regard to defending your life, or the life of someone you are willing to risk your own life to protect.

Considering that both men and women can be raped, are you willing to reach back and grab whatever is hanging down and pull with the intent of tearing that body part off of your attacker?

Are you willing to bite off any body part that comes near or is thrust into your mouth?

Are you willing to thrust your thumb in your attacker’s eye and drive your thumb through the thin bone at the back of their eye socket?

The actions above are brutal, and offend some people’s sensitivity. No one can tell you what you must be willing to do to save your life. However, a lack of willingness to commit to inflicting death or great bodily harm to someone who is trying to do the same to you limits your chances of successful outcome.

Without training, your response to a deadly force conflict will likely be limited to freezing or submitting. Both of these responses can and have worked effectively for some people. To freeze when startled by an attack, could help you avoid bolting in front of a train or car. However, freezing won’t do much to prevent a baseball bat being swung at your head from striking you. Submitting to a person pointing a weapon at you demanding your money might help you avoid having to use deadly force as long as the assailant had no intention to harm you in the first place.

With proper training, you may choose to freeze, you may choose to submit, but you will have also conditioned yourself to run (flight) or counter assault (fight) at the appropriate time if necessary. With proper training you will not have to rely on releasing your “inner beast” to get you through a fight. You will be able to maintain a calculating mind and fight with purpose and skill. Your chances of a successful outcome in a deadly force confrontation are greatly increased when you can “predict” the angle of attack based on hundreds of hours spent in training. There is no simple solution for proper training. No single book, no eight-hour course can adequately prepare you for a fight for your life. There is no “unstoppable” technique.

Read everything you can on the topic that is most important for your success. When it comes to protecting yourself and your loved ones, I suggest The Gift of Fear, by Gavin de Becker as a starting point. This book will not only give you valuable information, but it will also motivate you and increase your willingness to continue training and learning more.

You will likely experience an occasional “fleeting moment of perfection” in training. It could take several months or more of quality training before this occurs. I define a fleeting moment of perfection (MoP) as that defensive or offensive technique that was timed so perfectly that there was virtually no way that your opponent could counter your efforts. At first, this will occur rarely in your training. You might not even recognize them for what they are. Eventually, MoP’s will occur more often, and you will recognize them as MoP’s.

To win a fight decisively, you don’t need to be perfect. I don’t know anyone who is perfect. However, if you can string together some of these fleeting moments of perfection, you can prevail in a conflict that may well last no more than two and a half to five seconds.

Successes in training and field experience will increase your confidence. That increased confidence will increase your willingness to respond and continue training. This is a cycle that can continuously expand your success.

To be successful in whatever you do, I hope that you will be Willing, Trained and Confident.
    Last edited by David Goodman; 09-13-2016 at 03:18 PM.
    It's an upside down world we live in.

2. Likes lkapigian, ga-hvac-tech, Tool-Slinger liked this post
    Post Likes
    A long read,but I did read it and a good read

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lkapigian View Post
    A long read,but I did read it and a good read
    Thank you. It is a topic that I have a passion for.
    It's an upside down world we live in.

5. Likes lkapigian liked this post