Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Likes

Another 407c loss thread!

So let's say through a chain of very unfortunate events the relief blew on a split system receiver with just shy of 220 lbs of 407c. Even though the relief was on the vapour space, at this point (probably 450 psi and A common temperature), do you think the charge has suffered any significant fractionation? I do need to pull the charge as guessing how much to put in these is nothing more than that ( designed for -40 ambient operation). I'll know how much I lost when I recover the charge. I've read pretty extensively on the whole replace charge/top up. It seems to be a 50/50 split opinion wise. I guess at this point of the cycle, would the refrigerants have still exited left stage in proportional amounts?

Post Likes
    When you recover the charge compare the pressure to the temp.
    As far as when to top off check with the manfacture.

Post Likes
    Was a torch involved?

4. Likes washer liked this post
    Post Likes
    Recover charge. Recharge liquid only. Top off with virgin R407C.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

6. Likes PowellSixO liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    Was a torch involved?
    No. Engineering's interconnecting wiring schedule had the last circuit run enable wired across the high pressure control in Lou of the auxiliary contact on compressor (pump out circuit). High pressure controls were factory set at 400 and maxed out, discharge transducers for circuit 3 and four polarities were backwards and switched. When the wires are open it was giving Plc full scale value forcing the fans on. When I reversed polarity and corrected it while the system was running it then shut the fans off (seeing number there's idle head pressure and mistaking it for four). While the hp control was bypassed the second isolated contacts give the plc a fault. The delay between the hp contacts to plc to initiate a failure and drop out the enables was just enough time to blow the relief valve. The compressors shut off and within a second the relief valve let go.

Post Likes
    What was the 450psi in the OP in reference to?

9. Likes nathankerr liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BALloyd View Post
    Recover charge. Recharge liquid only. Top off with virgin R407C.

Thinking about this some more it may not work. I was thinking along the lines of getting non-condensibles out. If it was fractionated badly enough, it may still affect performance.

Post Likes
    I'd probably re use it if you didn't lose more than 25% of the charge. More than 25-30% and I'd go back with all Virgin. It's cheap insurance for what 407c costs per drum.

12. Likes HellGato, nathankerr liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TechmanTerry View Post
    What was the 450psi in the OP in reference to?
    The relief setting

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BALloyd View Post
    Thinking about this some more it may not work. I was thinking along the lines of getting non-condensibles out. If it was fractionated badly enough, it may still affect performance.

Non condensibles? The system was evacuated to under 500 microns and charged. Non condensibles never made their way into the system

15. Likes HellGato liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Armament View Post
    Non condensibles? The system was evacuated to under 500 microns and charged. Non condensibles never made their way into the system
    I tend to agree. a loss due to pressure relief is not a vacuum allowing any noncondensables to enter the system..
    "I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid." - John Gotti

“Always shoot first . . . that way they know you’re armed!” - Orrin Porter Rockwell

"Individuals and entities performing contracting work illegally and without a license place the public at risk and effectively steal millions from Arizona's hardworking, law-abiding contractors and their employees," - Jeff Fleetham, director of the Arizona Registrar of Contractors.

17. Likes hedrash liked this post
    Post Likes
    Charge with new 407c.

Post Likes
    I think phm knows what to do depending on weather it needs calmed down or hyped up

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast