Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Legal or Not?

Post Likes

Legal or Not?

Can a licensed c-20 contractor legally run his own gas pipe and electrical from the electrical panel in the state of california? whats the big deal right?

Post Likes
    Sparks & explosive gasses..... got the insurance?? Go for it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    We can control fire & ice.....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Acrooster View Post
    Can a licensed c-20 contractor legally run his own gas pipe and electrical from the electrical panel in the state of california? whats the big deal right?
    Here in Arkansas, according to our inspector, we can run electrical if it is within sight and 10ft of the electrical panel. Otherwise, electrician it is. Sad that we run electrical better than some of the electricians running around here.... Now if something happens, who's to say our insurance will cover us running wire even if the inspector says it is ok.

Not sure about gas.

4. Likes Acrooster, hedrash, itsajustme liked this post
    Post Likes
    “incidental and supplemental”...

http://cutredtape.com/archives/2013/...iple-licenses/

Q: I frequently read your articles and often times you refer to certain trades being “incidental and supplemental” to the classification that a contractor holds. How does the CSLB define incidental and supplemental? It seems that contractors could use these terms broadly to perform work out of the scope of their license.

A: Board Rule 831 states “for purposes of Section 7059, work in other

classifications is ‘incidental and supplemental’ to the work for which a specialty contractor is licensed if that work is essential to accomplish the work in which the contractor is classified. A specialty contractor may use subcontractors to complete the incidental and supplemental work, or he may use his own employees to do so.”

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Snaple4 View Post
    Here in Arkansas, according to our inspector, we can run electrical if it is within sight and 10ft of the electrical panel. Otherwise, electrician it is. Sad that we run electrical better than some of the electricians running around here.... Now if something happens, who's to say our insurance will cover us running wire even if the inspector says it is ok.

Not sure about gas.
    Of course you run Electric better than a sparky. We're actually scared to kill someone. Electricians are generally nuts.

Post Likes
    In Texas, you can run wire from the disconnect. If the gas was already to the unit, you can run new pipe to repipe it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Likes hedrash liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by acmanko View Post
    In Texas, you can run wire from the disconnect. If the gas was already to the unit, you can run new pipe to repipe it

So long as you pay for the licensing to work as a contractor. I'm not complaining about it, I live in Texas & love the way things are done here. The fact that I'm not being raped, by the state, every week when I get my paycheck.... I'm a happy man. I actually make more money now than when I made 10k more a year in NY. I'm a huge advocate for Texas, I just wish I had moved here years ago.

10. Likes acmanko, HighlandThunder liked this post
    Post Likes
    NO, the gas line will have to come from somewhere other than the electrical panel, preferably the gas meter. Sorry I couldn't help myself. I get in so much trouble that way.

Back to your original question, in these parts if you get into the panel without a licence you can be subject to fines, they even frown on going from the disconnect to equipment. That is not to say that a lot of companies don't do it, you just don't want to get caught. Gas line is not a huge deal here, until the gas company changes what they expect a the drop of a hat then when they find it you have to go back and update it to meet their current rules. Don't know who made them god but they have that attitude. They have no governmental affiliation.

12. Likes PrimeHVACsys liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hedrash View Post
    So long as you pay for the licensing to work as a contractor. I'm not complaining about it, I live in Texas & love the way things are done here. The fact that I'm not being raped, by the state, every week when I get my paycheck.... I'm a happy man. I actually make more money now than when I made 10k more a year in NY. I'm a huge advocate for Texas, I just wish I had moved here years ago.

That's business. A home owner can go to Lowe's or Home Depot and buy everything for electrical a MF gas and install it by hisself.

I just returned from a week in NYC. I think you'd have to make $150 grand a year there to live like $50 grand a year in Texas

14. Likes hedrash, itsajustme liked this post
    Post Likes
    I was making over a 100k/yr, mostly because of OT. Most of that went to taxes. 80 to 100hrs a week. The worst part was I couldn't even afford to buy a house, without living paycheck to paycheck & having a 30yr mortgage that would've left me spending about a million dollars by the end of the mortgage. I did find a house, but the bank wouldn't give me a 15yr mortgage because I was a first time buyer. Wanted to put $100k down & figured I'd get out in 15yrs. That would've cut the interest rate in half & gone from $40k in interest to over $165k with a 30 yr mortgage. The 15yr was $198 more a month. With taxes on Long Island & the interest, there was no way I could sell the house in 30yrs and make money. Now I'm in Dallas & hope to buy a house in 5 months. Pay it off in a 10yrs. The real estate here is starting to blow up, so I know I'll make money on the house. Not to mention I will have time to maintain it. Besides the drastic changes in my life have been for the better. Well, except for my wife.
    My blood pressure dropped from 185/125 to 125/70, off a lot of medication as well, have an amazing job with amazing people & won't have to shovel this ever again.....

16. Likes acmanko, BBeerme, ch4man liked this post
    Post Likes
    If you get a 30 year, then pay 16% extra [I think it is] each month, that'll turn it into a 15 year.

So it is an option to consider.

I just refinanced, so am paying in heavy now to reduce the balance. It's sort of a double edge sword, since I'll have less to write off, but that is sort of a misnomer, since you only get back a percentage of the interest you pay in.

Quote Originally Posted by hedrash View Post
    I was making over a 100k/yr, mostly because of OT. Most of that went to taxes. 80 to 100hrs a week. The worst part was I couldn't even afford to buy a house, without living paycheck to paycheck & having a 30yr mortgage that would've left me spending about a million dollars by the end of the mortgage. I did find a house, but the bank wouldn't give me a 15yr mortgage because I was a first time buyer. Wanted to put $100k down & figured I'd get out in 15yrs. That would've cut the interest rate in half & gone from $40k in interest to over $165k with a 30 yr mortgage. The 15yr was $198 more a month. With taxes on Long Island & the interest, there was no way I could sell the house in 30yrs and make money. Now I'm in Dallas & hope to buy a house in 5 months. Pay it off in a 10yrs. The real estate here is starting to blow up, so I know I'll make money on the house. Not to mention I will have time to maintain it. Besides the drastic changes in my life have been for the better. Well, except for my wife.
    My blood pressure dropped from 185/125 to 125/70, off a lot of medication as well, have an amazing job with amazing people & won't have to shovel this ever again.....

18. Likes hedrash liked this post
    Post Likes
    That would be an option, but I'd rather pay the extra $198/month for a 15yr mortgage. The banks on Long Island aren't giving out 15yr mortgages because they're still trying to get rid of the foreclosures. A lot of the mortgages were for $350-600k so the banks aren't letting them go at auction for cheap. No one wants a huge reconstruction project with a $400k price tag attached to it. Property values have pretty much been flat there, unless you're in a very affluent community. Then there are a few other problems too.
    Young people are leaving because it's too expensive, retirees are leaving because of $12-25k/yr property taxes and the rest are renting. A lot of people own multiple homes & rent them out. If they'd pass a law that would raise property taxes on people who own multiple houses, then it would be easier for the everyday man.

Post Likes
    In California yes as part of the scope of work in an " add on replacement " situation....new construction no

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast